Register over falsetto?

LC0728

• Members

I would like to claim that everyone has a whistle register. It's just a matter of muscle coordination.

I think it's about time to stop thinking about what we have and concentrate on what we want to develop! I'm the proof that anyone can learn anything. At a family visit this weekend my mother and siblings was talking about how surprised they was about my voice. My mother after hearing me singing in a wedding and brother at a heavy metal party. They all have heard me before, but it wasn't until recently (at age 33) I started working with my voice. I do thing now that I was frustrated I couldn't do then due to a very limited range. I couldn't make different sounds either, especially I struggled with making distorted sounds, fry and airy like tones. When I sang songs, motorhead, bryan Adams and Johnny Cash sounded excactly the same: Dull!

So I decided to develop a freeky range and develop different sounds. Today I'm accused for using playback on Cash and AC/DC.

I have never been using whistle voice sound in my life, and decided to try. After a few hours practicing I could make the sounds easy. After a few more hours I could hit different pitches at will. This was all in a days work. If I've invested some weeks I could easy have been using it in music, but I haven't any songs to apply it to.

As long as you have healthy voice cords and time you can do anything with your voice!

• Members

Yeah, it's definitely not only for females. I know of someone named Adam Lopez who has it down.

[video=youtube;im_0O1rSXqY]

[video=youtube;pc3Xg2o26IE]

The first video is him singing "Emotions". The second one isn't him actually singing a song, but him just singing 6 octaves.

• Moderators

Yeah the weight/thickness of the cords might contribute to how it functions.

And also depending on voice type. Did you guys know that a baritone's falsetto can actually go higher than a tenors?

Most countertenors are actually baritones. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't really get the point of obsessing over the "whistle" register when there's so many other concepts that singers should be working on. :p

• Members

Although, this is not what the OP has asked, I wanted to add something. Although, some/many/most people will disagree. The register between chest voice and whistle should be referred to as head voice, not falsetto. Falsetto is a technique and not a register, even though traditionally the terms have been used interchangeably.

Falsetto is a technique that involves having your vocal cords slightly apart as you sing, which produces a breathy tone quality because you are allowing more air through. You'll notice that you cannot sustain a note as long using falsetto as you can in head voice without falsetto, since in head voice your vocal cords are close together and don't let as much air as falsetto through. What I found as the most convincing evidence of this distinction is that you can apply a falsetto technique to any note in your range. Thus, if you can sing notes using falsetto in your chest voice register or your head voice register, that would mean falsetto is not a specific register.

The best explanation I've seen is here

• Members

Although, this is not what the OP has asked, I wanted to add something. Although, some/many/most people will disagree. The register between chest voice and whistle should be referred to as head voice, not falsetto. Falsetto is a technique and not a register, even though traditionally the terms have been used interchangeably.

Falsetto is a technique that involves having your vocal cords slightly apart as you sing, which produces a breathy tone quality because you are allowing more air through. You'll notice that you cannot sustain a note as long using falsetto as you can in head voice without falsetto, since in head voice your vocal cords are close together and don't let as much air as falsetto through. What I found as the most convincing evidence of this distinction is that you can apply a falsetto technique to any note in your range. Thus, if you can sing notes using falsetto in your chest voice register or your head voice register, that would mean falsetto is not a specific register.

The best explanation I've seen is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpiZH8Y1QR4

Here we go again! This thread is now gonna turn into a head voice/falsetto thread :facepalm:

Don't get me wrong broseph, what you posted, I agree with ENTIRELY. But this always turns into a debate *cough*masklin*cough* :D

• Moderators

Here we go again! This thread is now gonna turn into a head voice/falsetto thread
:facepalm:
Don't get me wrong broseph, what you posted, I agree with ENTIRELY. But this always turns into a debate *cough*masklin*cough*
:D

Lol. We should put up a Sticky thread that forbids the all too common, yet highly debatable topic "Head voice vs Falsetto"

Archived