Please critique this cover, need some advice. 3AM by Matchbox Twenty

Leon1242

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I liked how you sang and I was really happy hearing a song with a piano. Then was sad when you said it wasn't you playing(piano), fav. instrument besides voice. Checked out some of your other vids to, like the songs your picking and i think after some more time you could end up a reallly good singer. Interested in how good you'll get, good luck.

• Members

Ya it was me. You got me listening to there music now. I want to try to do unwell, its a good song.

goodly! haha in that case look for the youtube channel named 'MatchboxTwentyOFCL' it has all of there music on it. thanks again for the feedback :] if you do unwell ill listen right away.

• Members

So this my most recent cover, its a piano version of 3AM. and im curious about what you guys think, i think my pitching sounds off here and there yet. I think the second verse to the end sounds pretty good, but ill let the professionals handle it. xD thanks all.

The truth from my perspective:

You need a lot of work, time, effort, patience and above all:

practice and self confidence.

It's hard to hear your voice through this recording when it's very poor quality.

Mics are cheap, but affordable and so are cheap but decent audio interfaces.

Recording software is cheap and some are free (like Reaper) Google is your friend here.

I applaud your effort and taking initiative in posting your recording here.

But your voice on higher and louder notes/phrases sounded shakey

and you were pretty off in a bunch of areas and it also sounded like you weren't singing

but rather whispering in some parts.

Practicing without focus won't get you very far so what I would recommend you do is

to pay close attention to your favorite singers and HOW they sing?

If your voice isn't naturally sounding like theirs is: don't try to emulate them just because you're a fan of them.

Sing the song in YOUR voice and listen to how singers sing and use common tools to showcase their talents

and emphasis.

• Members

You have a good voice - it is a higher kind of tone that fits good in this ballad stuff. The end of the tune is all over the place pitch wise. If you can hear that and it makes you cringe then that's step 1. Step 2 is listen, sing and record it until you know you've nailed it. Then repost and we will confirm it. I can hear potential in your voice - if you keep practicing. Are you using headphones to monitor yourself when recording?

Archived