what are some of ur favorite vocalizing exercises?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

What are some of your favorite vocalizing exercises?

I go 1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5 doing "ma moe moo" and {censored}

I also do 1-5-6-5 on a legato vowel, and also differentiate doing "moe may mah mee"

these help my vowel placement because my vowels are all over the place, and I go for a sleeker, more congruent sound.

Anyone got some faves?

(I should add that they're far from favorite. They're the most hated part of singing for me, but I do them about 10 minutes a day, which is all I can take, and they help).

• Members

Nah, that's not true. ^^ You can sing IN bed right after you've woken up if you want! Just ease yourself into it...sing softer than usual...don't stretch your range or volume too much at first. Give yourself 20 minutes or so of easing into it, and you're good to do whatever you like!

• Members

My advise is to start singing not earlier than 2 hours after you woke up.

All you have to do is get up, gargle some water, and do some lip bubbles. to get you started, then do some light vocal slides, and then slowly raise the volume; You should be able to sing without any problems after warming up. The idea that you shouldn't sing in the morning is a complete myth... if that were true, then you shouldn't even speak in the morning either.

you should also be able to sing in any position, standing, sitting, laying down, etc.

• Members

In the am I gargle and then just start singing whatever is on my mind, I sing a lot! I am with Grace, you can sing right away as long as you build the load so that you are not straining your voice right away.

Same logic for how I build set lists, the first 3 songs in a set are always fixed for two reasons, vocal warm ups and sound check.

Rod

• Moderators

It doesn't really matter too much when you practice each day. As long as you practice enough. I practice anytime during the day, morning, afternoon, evening or even friggin 2-3am in the morning. I like to get at least a total of 1 hour on scales per day. But I think its extremely important to warm-up during the morning, because that's how you get your voice going for the whole day. If you have trouble especially in the morning then maybe either your body is still tired or you might have some acid reflux issues.

And my favourite exercises are probably the 2-octave sirens and the scale 135878987654321

• Members

who gives a rats ass if u practice in the morning or at night. you do it when you have time and when you're in the right frame of mind.

Yeah, exactly. This is the most important thing. If you don't have the right attitude towards singing - meaning you don't WANT to sing and feel inspired to do so - it won't work very well.

Just sing when you want...

• Members

Yeah, exactly. This is the most important thing. If you don't have the right attitude towards singing - meaning you don't WANT to sing and feel inspired to do so - it won't work very well.

that's what i just said. just say it. say it. right. boom.

• Members

So....you guys actually practice, eh?

Hmmmm....well, I pretty much just sing all the time. Guess singing is the best exercise for singing.

That said......I have listened. Some of you folks are really very good singers. I guess that perhpas practice does make perfect.:wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So....you guys actually practice, eh?

Hmmmm....well, I pretty much just sing all the time. Guess singing is the best exercise for singing.

That said......I have listened. Some of you folks are really very good singers. I guess that perhpas practice
does
make perfect.
:wave:

The thing is, singing is not designed to strengthen your vocal mechanism. Singing scales and a lot of these odd sounding words actually is like lifting weights - it makes the muscles in your throat get stronger, and it teaches you how to coordinate those muscles so that you can sing without effort - if you are straining, you're doing something wrong.

So, that is why many of us train - plus, training is a lot of fun once you get into it... it is somewhat addictive for me.

Archived