Going wireless again, bring on the Line 6...

• Members

What's up peeps!

Quiet here lately but still my favourite part of the forum! In my ever ending quest for the better mic, I have used wireless from Shure, EV, and Senheiser and wired from all of the above plus Beyerdinamic, AKG, Neumann, Heil, Audix, etc...yeah...I am kinda nutty about mics...

I always go with a new thing, fall in love, then hate it...then sell it and go back to my trusty EV 510 handheld condenser...always! Latest victim was the Sennheiser G3 system, phenomenal sound but too many issues with signal here in the North Jersey/NYC area...so off it went to make someone else happy and back came the EV...old friend...trustworthy!

Now...after the last 3 shows I realized I am missing the freedom of wireless...being able to move around and dancing with people, etc is killing me, there is only so much you can do while tied to a string on stage!!! Crowd is amped and dancing and I feel limited...so here comes the itch...the urge to try something new...again...

Welcome to digital! After reading many reviews I am going to give the Line 6 system a shot. Many reasons coem into mind, sound quality seems solid with a wireless system that will not get messed up in my area. Not to shure about the mic modeling ability but eager to give it a shot. Biggest plus has to be the digital system ideal for my small venues with what reviewers call the cleanest wireless they have ever heard!

If this system delivers as expected I will order the Heil PR-35 capsule to go with it and I cannot think there can be a better handheld wireless system for small venues out there, at least in theory!

System is ordered and should be here next week, if all works as planned (and why shouldn't it?) the Heil capsule will follow and I will have my ultimate mic...at least untill I fall out of love again... :)

I will keep you all posted!

Mic:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-xd-v70-wireless-microphone

Capsule:

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/rc35/

Rod

• Members

Well...no starter...received a DOA from AMS and have to send it back...since it's the holiday weekend I can't ship it untill Tuesday and won't have the replacement unit untill they recieve confirmatino of shipment from my back to them...looks like next weeks gig is back to EV...I must say that this has shaken my confidence a bit in the unit, I have never received a DOA from any company before but it happens and I am willing to try again...will keep posted.

Rod

• Members

Got the replacement unit today from AMS, very quick, great service from them! I must admit that the first unit may have not been bad to start with and the issue may have been mine and not the mic's, since I will never know I will explain why I have that doubt...

The unit has a lock tab on the back portion of the battery compartment, something you don't see on inspection and that is not mentioned in the manual as a procedure to turn it on. The only reason i noticed this is that the second unit would not power on either so I scoured the unit for a reason since it in not possible that I would receive two bad units in a row...I unlocked the tab and all went on with no issues.

The packaging on this unit is great and it includes a great carry case for the transmitter...why not for the receiver as well? That would be awesome and would make this unit be road ready from the get go! The unit also comes with rack mounts and conection cables for mulitple units, pount Line 6! A complete package with no need to be buying accesories to set-up multiple units in a rack!

Construction is on par with what's out there at this price point with a great hand feel and overall weight. Buttons are well placed and the slight recess in the body makes them safe during use against unintended power off.

One critiscism that is a matter of personal preference, I am not a big fan of the chrome grill, I would love a less shiny option, just my taste.

Set-up is brainless, remember to plug in the termination plugs in the unused link outputs in the back of the receiver and you will have no problems, everything works simply...it just works! No channel fumbling, no gain controls, no multiple button procedure to link the units...couldn't be any easier, point Line6!

My unit is on channel one and I see no need to change that unless I ever use it with other people with the same unit but doing it is easy as well! Within minutes I changed the name of the unit to my own, checked all the settings and even cycled through the mic modeling choices setting back to the original Line6 model, at least untill I take this to practice and run the thing through a full PA and music, etc.

So far I couldn't be happier with the unit, I plugged it in to a single monitor just to make sure it worked and the sound is crisp and clear with no noise, very bright vocals with no handling noise and little proximity effect, again, all of this straight into the monitor with no board or effects.

I am going to hold on investing the money on a Heil capsule for now as I think this unit may deliver what I want as is, with no need to "soup it up". At the price point this unit is competing at, it comes ready to fight! The digital signal takes it over the edge in my book and I will not have to worry about it becomeng obsolete in the coming years or finding my signal poluted with other sources. More to come after I practice and gig with the unit this coming weekend!

Rod

• Members

Ok so now I can make some observations to make Duke happy!

To start off the signal path is pristine! The detail in the voice is incredible even if compared to a wired mic, no handling noise to sepak off, and "s" or "pop's" no speak of...so far, so good!

Now for the modeling, as I am evaluating based on a singers ear, this has no technical basis whatsoever...

Line 6 - Excellent gain, very hot but a bit harsh to my ears, vey high and thin. I think it would be great for a female vocalist.

Beta 58 - This one's got balls! Sounds very much like a Beta58, great for a male rock singer IMO

OM5 - My favorite model here, it definetly brings the gain down but maintains a very clear and detailed sound with pristine mid's, loved it when I had to sing higher tunes like Rush, Skid Row, etc. Also sounded great on Bruno Mars "Amazing".

These are the one's I tried so can only coment on themm if you subscribe to the school that a singer needs more than one mic to deliver a well rounded performance (I do), then this mic is for you! I can see using the Beta 58 modeling for the more rock oriented tunes like Bon Jovi, Elvis, etc, and then switch to the OM5 modeler for the more intitmate tunes as well as the higher ones as well.

Does modeling work, yes. Does it have a sound that reminds you of the originals? Yes, not just gimicky but actual usefull "eq'ing" that makes this feature a useful tool for a singer that plans his/hers gig well before jumping on stage. Also, if you do your own sound, it is great to have the different models at your hand in case of a bad sounding room, with feedback, or whatever.

To compare loosely with another system I used a lot, the Sennheiser G3 with the 985 capsule costing over $700....the Sennheiser sounded phenomenal at high gain but lost detail when I sang "mouth to capsule", it also didn't sound as clear as this, as detailed...

All in all, and for the price point this sells for, I would rank it as my favorite of the bunch, at least at this level of competition.

Rod

• Members

Sorry Duke, for my use I am yet to find one.

I can see how the limited channels may be an issue for big stages but I am sure Line 6 is not aiming for that market with this unit. I also am not a fan of the 3 pin system when you unscrew the mic head for replacement, I can see where it can be damaged, I favor the Shure and sennheiser solution os solid rings.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well plenty of gigs behind me now with this mic, love it even more! Not one issue with signal, no added wind noise outdoors, no handling noise issues, extremely clear sound with such crisp and detailed sound that makes me wonder why other companies, with many more years of mic tech, are yet to produce something so good at this price point!

I also did an apperance in a party with other singers, moslty Broadway people and they asked us to bring our own mics since they were using the house PA and didn't want to rent gear...well...guess whose mic got passed around like a loose joint! Yeah...my line 6, everyone wanted to use it since "it sounded so good"! I looked very smart...just saying! Now Boomer, go make some headworn systems so some of my friedns can have these on stage!

Rod

Archived