How do you differ 'stop pushing' vs 'no support'?

GuitarLord

• Members

Hey guys,

how do you differ 'stop pushing' and 'no support'.

You know, I'm used to pushing to hit higher notes, and if I try not to push, I can't produce the tone, because then my support is pretty low, it's like singing light without support.

But some people say: you want to stop pushing, but that doesn't mean you want to stop supporting the note.

Now, I'm asking you : how do you support the note without pushing, cause every time I try to support the tone (and I know how to support it from diaphragm, I'm good on breathing and support) I find that I'm pushing. If I concentrate on stopping to push, then my support also stops alltogether. So to me: pushing comes with support, and support comes with pushing. If I don't push/support, then all I can get for higher notes is tiny falsetto.

So how do you stop pushing and still support notes?

Tnx ;)

Nikola

• Moderators

I wonder this all the time as well.

I recently asked my voice teacher about this. Basically pushing puts tension on the throat, caused by pulling up too much vocal weight or chest voice. To support properly you have to make sure you're using the 'support muscles' like abs, back, etc correctly. If the voice is properly supported, then you're not really suppose to feel your throat at all.

Right now I'm working on realigning my registers (chest vs head). If you push too much chest voice then your head voice won't develop properly. If the registers are properly balanced, then the tendency to push is less. So I've been forced to be on a "no belting diet". lol :lol:

• Moderators

Dude, I've been on the no belting diet as well, lol. It's tricky, especially if your used to pulling your chest up too high. This was one bad habit that took forever to break...I still do it sometimes, but on purpose, lol.

Yeah. I hear ya. so basically no more belting those F, F# and G's. I'm doing those in mostly head voice. My teacher said its okay to belt notes from time to time when the song calls for it. But at the moment I shouldn't because I'm in the process of balancing my registers.

Archived