Throat hurts

dramey

• Members

I've been singing all my life and am just now getting to the point that I like my voice. In just the last couple years (I'm 45) I'm noticing I have more range and control over it. However I have no stamina when it comes to singing. I do a little recording, and after a handful of takes my throat hurts, and I'm done. It's not like I am recording screamo metal, just basic rock stuff, and a lot of that is ballads. www.dramey.com if you are interested.

I do sing with some dirt in my voice. I can sing without it, but it doesn't sound nearly as good, plus I loose a lot of control trying to sing clean. Even clean, my voice goes southbound in a hurry. Is there anything I can do that won't cost me my tone, but might strengthen my pipes? I'd love to try and get some sort of band going, but there is no way I could be the lead singer if I am only good for a song or 3 before my voice is blown out.

• Members

How long have you been singing using rasp/grit?

Heh, I'd say about the time AC/DC's Back In Black album came out. So, forever.

When did you start having throat pain?

Hard to say, 10 years maybe. I can sing along with the car radio for hours before it bothers me, it's really only when I record, and I force my voice to get as close to perfect as it is capable of getting that it hurts.

Do you have any voice training?

Just those hours in the car. I've been giving some thought to training. Most people that offer it around here don't offer much in the way of credentials.

• Members

A simple test for information:

Sing as you would during a take while paying attention to how your larynx ( ~adams apple) moves as you go. A mirror is recommended.

If your larynx shoots up and vanishes, you're killing your voice and should expect pain.

If your larynx moves very little and remains visible throughout the entire recording, the problem is something else which will require further troubleshooting.

Hello and welcome by the way. :wave:

• Members

If you do have leaping larynx issues, Roger Love's book/CD Set Your Voice Free provides great exercises.

I listened to one of your tracks, and I think your voice sound quite good. Nothing sounds especially strained or tense. But if you are singing from your throat you may want to take a few lessons to get the proper vocal support mechanism functioning.

Note: If your throat hurts it is only a matter of time until a condition develops that will limit your ability to sing, so I recommend that you take steps to fix this problem--whatever it turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If it affects you more when you record then it may have something to do with your monitoring setup. If you haven't considered it yet, you check your backing track's volume, your monitoring volume, mic gain , etc and make sure the backing track isn't too loud so you can hear yourself properly.

Archived