Hereditary Polyps?

Squeakbox

• Members

I have been practicing singing lately (in private of course), and I recorded myself, and I have finally reached a point where I do sound like a professional... I discussed with my mother that I want to sing to just create an album later on, but first I've been writing lyrics and practicing some tunes out. (The lyrics are a bit weird-sounding right now)

She mentioned to me that my grandmother and aunt had fabulous voices, but both lost their singing voices to a vocal cord growth... she says it is hereditary, but I am wondering what the likelihood of me having this genetic growth or if it can be avoided if I'm careful?

She told me that they both had professional training, but I don't know how well that professional training was in their time.

I've been reading up practices, and being very smooth when I sing, but this genetic growth problem is a bit concerning... especially since I do have a rare whistle-singing talent I would love to share.

I still need more practice, but I need furthur advice and a second opinion on the matter.

• Moderators

How are you so certain that it's hereditary? Does your mother (and others on that side of the family) have this problem as well? And by chance, does this only apply to the singers?

Its possible that they abused their voices and as a result they ended up "losing their singing voices". Just because someone is "professionally" trained, doesn't mean that they were singing healthily.

You shouldn't worry too much about this. Just find a proper voice teacher who teaches a healthy technique. There are actually some teachers who teach specific exercises that recuperate vocal damage.

Anyway, just don't abuse your voice and you'll be fine. Just don't go doing ridiculous things like trying to sing G10, etc.. Singing isn't about serving your EGO, it's about serving the MUSIC.

• Members

Oh I know it's about the music, and I'm willing to do it... I know there is healthy ways, that's why I said I wasn't to sure about what the professional training was like for my grandmother and aunt.

Also, yes they were both singers, my mother never got into singing or ever abused her vocal cords.

I thank you for your advice though, I'll look into those methods you mentioned. :3

• 3 weeks later...

Archived