After the Gold Rush - Neil Young/Thom Yorke

tehJESSEH

• Members

Hi all,

Long time no talk, I've been pretty busy with school and exams are coming up real soon so I'll be even more busy. But last night I recorded a cover of After the Gold Rush after rediscovering Thom Yorke's cover of it.

I'm still a little bit self-conscious about my upper register. I don't know, I don't think my voice is exactly a "pleasant" voice. I sing most consistently if the song is on the higher side, but I don't think I've completely accepted the feminine quality of my voice yet.

Anyways, here it is:

http://jesselim.bandcamp.com/track/after-the-gold-rush-neil-young

Let me know what you think! Anyone else cover this song? I would love to hear other interpretations.

• Members

Very nice! :thu: I enjoyed this.

The only thing I don't like is the piano sound--but I guess we all just have to get used to hearing modeled pianos.

(And I'm not sure I'd give Thom equal billing here, but no matter....They're both great!)

• Members

You're female right?

If not, I don't know what I'm hearing. Is that an awesome hedsetto or are you born without balls (no offence!)?

:D

PS. It might be a bit nasal, but your voice is generally very pleasant on the ear. You should sing 'Fat old sun' by David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), and see what happens. DS.

• Members

Thanks Jersey! The piano is actually a Rhodes MKI. It isn't the greatest, it came with Ableton's Essential Instruments Collection and I EQ'd it severely because it was distorting for some reason. And the equal billing is because this is a cover of Yorke's version.

You're female right?

If not, I don't know what I'm hearing. Is that an awesome hedsetto or are you born without balls (no offence!)?

:D

Ahem... let's go with the former (:

My speaking voice could be considered pretty low and everything, but my optimal singing range is higher. Personally I prefer my voice lower but it's harder to get consistent... thanks for the comment about pleasantness though! My only hope is that it isn't annoyingly unlistenable.

Archived