Can someone tell me few words about this guy's technique?

• Members

Ok, so this guy is singing very close to what I'm aiming for :) so can someone tell me few words about his technique...

Main question - if you listen to this song, can you find out where is his placement, does he sings into soft palate (which I think he does), or what? I can hear a lot of distortion in his voice, but it seams pretty easy for him to sing like that so he must be singing it from the diaphragm into the upper part of his voice (soft palate)... or I'm totally wrong :)

Thanks ;)

• Members

I have no idea what you call distortion? Is it the raspiness in the voice? The guy has good tone but looses pitch often, strugles with many points in the song, and has very poor stage delivery, if you are aiming for this I would stop taking lessons ASAP and make sure you join a band that plays loud where you can't hear yourself sing! I would hate to be this guys throat the day after this gig...

Rod

• Members
I have no idea what you call distortion? Is it the raspiness in the voice? The guy has good tone but looses pitch often, strugles with many points in the song, and has very poor stage delivery, if you are aiming for this I would stop taking lessons ASAP and make sure you join a band that plays loud where you can't hear yourself sing! I would hate to be this guys throat the day after this gig...

The distortion sound natural to me. It can be done in the throat, but it sounds as this guy places it forward in the correct way. I can't see the poor delivery, IMO he does what's called for in a ballad, and he also sings with good dynamics.

• Members

The distortion sound natural to me. It can be done in the throat, but it sounds as this guy places it forward in the correct way. I can't see the poor delivery, IMO he does what's called for in a ballad, and he also sings with good dynamics.

Really!!! I guess we both have diferent expectations of a singer! He sounds straining and looks totaly unconfortable around the stage...stand....sit...stand...move hands...sit...

Please don't call raspiness distortion! There is no distortion in his voice unless you call when he sings out of key distortion! There are proper techniques to deliver raspiness and he is not employing it at all, look at his face and the strain in his neck!

In any case, we will have to agree to disagree here.

Rod

• Members
Please don't call raspiness distortion! There is no distortion in his voice unless you call when he sings out of key distortion! There are proper techniques to deliver raspiness and he is not employing it at all, look at his face and the strain in his neck!

raspiness is when you have the rasp all the time caused by the condition of your cords. This guy alter from clean to distortion. I don't see much strain in his neck, but I see he use facial expressions. This is normal when you sing with emotion.

• Members

Yup, your right!

My vocal teacher is actually trained in this method (complete vocal technique) and she refers to overdrive as a how the sound resonate from the cords, and not the the overdrive effect that is typically used by a guitar player. Look at it as the hot tone from the bridge humbucker of a Les Paul as opposed to the clean tone from the mid pickup on a strat. Compare a quiet shy person speaking softly vs a loud italian with a clear loud voice.

Rasp is normally referred to when it's a permenent vocal condition. Normally it is cased by nodules causing the cords to not vibrate evenly their whole length, thus adding a more or less whispery, hissing sound to their voice. The CVT method uses the terms neutral, curbing, overdrive and belting as the 4 main vocal functions. In addition there are effcts on top of this as growl, twang, air and DISTORTION.

Distortion is used as a effect to simulate rasp or hoarseiness and done correct by altering the back of your thoungue. This causes the distortion to be a seperate effect added to the sound that is produced healty and clean in your vocal cords and therefore not harmful.

On a few notes he tends to sing from lower towards, but not IN the throat, but on the more powerful ones he places them forward. About straining, I would say he strain just about the correct amount for this kind of emotianal song :) More, and it would be too much and less it would be apathic and gutless. It would be boring showing full control with no face movement, Stage performance is just like acting in the theatre: You need to draw the story with BIG LETTERS. Music is mostly visual. :)

Archived