Can a vocal effects processor help a mediocre voice sound passable?

kwyn

• Members

So my band doesn't have a singer yet. We got some leads...working on it.

In the meantime, we have some opportunities for a few minor gigs. I am not a good singer by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not dreadful.

Could an effects processor like a boss ve20 with some soft pitch correction (i miss pitches sometimes) and a few other effects like reverb, chorus, compressor, etc... help make me sound passable? I know it won't make me good, but can it get me sounding passable?

We do classic rock and bluesy rock.

Thanks in advance.

Quinn

• Members

So my band doesn't have a singer yet. We got some leads...working on it.

In the meantime, we have some opportunities for a few minor gigs. I am not a good singer by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not dreadful.

Could an effects processor like a boss ve20 with some soft pitch correction (i miss pitches sometimes) and a few other effects like reverb, chorus, compressor, etc... help make me sound passable? I know it won't make me good, but can it get me sounding passable?

We do classic rock and bluesy rock.

Thanks in advance.

Quinn

Well first let me say, much as I like the unit, the soft pitch correction on the VE-20 is pretty sucky, you can still detect it, or at least my ears can.

I would forego pitch correction and focus more on learning to sing on key but as far as reverb and whatnot making a mediochre voice sound better? It will certainly make your vocal sound more full and professional. Hell it's been working for me :)

• Members

The answer is no, don't do it! No gadget is gonna fix poor singing but you will surely burn some bridges with venues if you don't deliver, if I am paying to see a band and I get mediocre I would get pissed!

Rod

The problem I have with this is you *appear* to be saying that there is no place in a band for a mediochre singer...?

• Members

I agree that pitch correction is a less useful effect than many people believe--when it works it's usually detectable and (unless you're doing hip-hop or some other style where people expect hard-tuning) it sounds bad, unprofessional. If you're close to the pitch the correction doesn't really do much and you're better off without it; if you're far enough away from pitch to need the correction, you're going to sound like Kanye or T-Pain.

But the other effects bundled into devices like the VE20 can make a huge difference, both in your tone and in your confidence. Some compression, eq, delay, and 'verb will most certainly improve the sound of your vocals. There are purists around who dismiss even these crucial effects, but professional vocalists always use them, and if you go on stage without some mixture of these sweeteners you will sound unprofessional. Obviously lighter effects will sound more natural than stadium-sized echo patches, but don't do without at least some of this stuff.

• Members

The problem I have with this is you *appear* to be saying that there is no place in a band for a mediochre singer...?

Not as a lead, no place at all, if the guy was trying to do back or harmonies and was looking for some help, ok, but he wants to replace the singer untill they find one...right...not with my money...

Rod

• Members

Well, IMHO, there are a lot of mediocre singers who have been very successful as vocalists (Bob Dylan comes immediately to mind). If, however, the problem is not being able to sing in tune with the song, any autotune tool is probably going to make you sound like a rapper. Reverb and delay will help smooth out a rough voice, but the out-of-tune stuff will still be there.

I remember hearing a John Travolta song on the radio (his first big "hit") back in the late 70s and the DJ was making fun of his inability to sing on key, interrupting the song every few minutes by saying, "Sing, John, sing!!"

• Members

I'll post a clip later in the day. Thx 4 responses. I'm very jealous of u guys that can just belt out a tune. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll post that clip later.

• Members

i think is better that you improve, because you can use a software but what you gonna do when you have a live performance? if you use auto tune you gonna sound like a robot, i think everyone can sings in they own way so just keep practique i know pitch is very hard I am musical student about four months ago and i still have a lot of trouble with my pitch but the point is no matter what bad can sound our voice the important is that we use our voice as they are ;) good luck man

• Members

Here it is. Recorded with a karoake track and an iPhone. Used some delay. I am a little tentative because I was in my basement and didn't really want to be loud with the family home :lol:

singing starts around 45 seconds

http://picosong.com/u9e

Be gentle... just kidding... I don't care...let it rip. bad and good (if any)

• Members

hey man you dont need any effects i think you have a good voice, maybe need to improve some things, but you are NOT mediocre
:D

Thanks, friend, but I think you are just trying to be kind and encouraging. I do appreciate it, though.

• Members

Just had a listen. To be honest, this was a lot better than I expected! There are pitch issues that need to be worked on, BUT if you're doing stuff in the style of Social D or any punkish band for that matter, you can almost get away with being pitchy every now and then. I would definitely work on it some more, but sounds like your headin in the right direction. Mike Ness sounds like {censored} live, lol.

• Members

Much better than you led us to believe! Not good but not horrible and as Stat said, if the sound you guys do is punk like that, you will be fine with some practice.

Rod

Didn't mean to mislead. I just felt mediocre means "not good." anyway, we do some classic rock too.

Back to my original question, Can the ve20 help make me sound better? Significantly? I'm just looking to be passible for a few gigs. I don't need people saying "that guy is good" I just dont want anyone saying "that sucked!!"

• Members

Back to my original question, Can the ve20 help make me sound better? Significantly? I'm just looking to be passible for a few gigs. I don't need people saying "that guy is good" I just dont want anyone saying "that sucked!!"

Significantly?...doubt it. Why waste your money if it's just for a few gigs..

• Members

What? If the guy is filling in as "singer" for a couple gigs, why waste money on a vocal processor if your gonna find a new singer anyways? If you want to be the singer, money would be better spent on proper training than a toy to cover up flaws, one would think..

• Moderators

To be honest, effects will only improve vocals to a certain degree. You can adjust certain aspects of the sound, but the "core sound" will still be there.

You're probably a guitarist. You can use the analogy of a mediocre guitarist playing with too many effects. The bad playing will still be present.

Whether or not you use a processor, it is your call. Think about the drawbacks (eg. cost/money, technical challenges, etc.) against the obtainable benefits.

• Members

Significantly?...doubt it. Why waste your money if it's just for a few gigs..

Yeah this changes things somewhat. If you are only singing a few gigs then I would save your money. Surely your mixer must have some reverb?

Otherwise - assuming you are a guitar player(?) - you may want to look at something like the Harmony G XT which has reverb, pitch correct (better than the VE I imagine) and does harmony using your guitar input.

Archived