Audix om7 moisture problems

• Members

Search wasn't doing much for me on the subject, so take it easy on me if it's been covered already.

I'm the lead singer of a metal/post-hardcore band and i'm looking to get another mic. I've had my eye on the audix om7 for it's sound rejection. But some of the reviews on the mic say that moisture is a huge problem. i'im using a super 55 and i have to wipe it off constantly to keep moisture off the face of it. I'm just wondering how badly moisture affects the sound of the mic. I tend to keep the mic right in my face 90% of the time so if it's a huge difference, that could mean a deal breaker.

I do screaming and singing so i need the mic to be nice and clear to keep those singing parts crisp.

should i look elsewhere?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never heard of this problem. And for a mic marketed as a touring mic--a mic designed to withstand the rigors of the road and of performance--the threat of breaking down in this way would indeed be a serious flaw. I love small-diaphragm condenser mics for live work, but given the kind of music you play, you may want to stick with the old standby, the Shure SM58. This is a perfectly serviceable mic on the clean side, and you can practically run a truck over it without breaking it.

• Members

I use a Shure SM 58, and like it. I've never tried anything else though. lol

I've heard of the moisture issue...it's just the normal condensation from having your breath so close to (well, right ON) the mic...I guess if you're hot or it's a hot room it might exacerbate the problem too...

• Moderators

Moisture shouldn't be too much of a problem with a dynamic mic. Dynamic mics are built to be rugged. It may be an environment issue and humidity from the air may be affecting it. So when it's not being used, I suggest you should store it back in its pouch and maybe throw in a couple of silica gel packs to absorb some of the moisture.

• Members

If you are having issues with moisture from your mouth try using a foam wind breaker on the mic head, other than that, I have no idea what to tell you, the OM7 is as rugged as a sm58, and with that you can hammer a nail to the ground!

Rod

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. It's not so much the mic breaking down i'm worried about. I'm just wondering how much the overall sound of the mic would suffer if it got moisture on the capsule. I'm just worried the sound might take a huge dive during a song or it might start distorting the clean parts. If it's just a slight tone change, i can deal with that.

• Members

I also use an sm-58 and my music style is in the heavier realm. It sounds like your spitting all over the place. Do you usually drink while you sing or something? I don't imagine moisture would cause too big of an issue, but how much slobber are we talking here. could you host a wet t-shirt contest by shaking your mic at the crowd after singing?

• Members

I also use an sm-58 and my music style is in the heavier realm. It sounds like your spitting all over the place. Do you usually drink while you sing or something? I don't imagine moisture would cause too big of an issue, but how much slobber are we talking here. could you host a wet t-shirt contest by shaking your mic at the crowd after singing?

I can see you fit right in! I like you already!

Rod

• Members

During a part of a song when you aren't singing you could crouch all low and creepy like with the mic tucked in by your stomach, and wipe it off on your black shirt. The crowd will just think your really getting into the music, and you'll be able to get rid of that pesky drip. Keep in mind though, while your mic might be all wet and stuff, at least you don't have to worry about anyone else touching it.

• Members

Online user reviews are helpful, but I woudn't base a purchase solely on what I read online. Unless you're a continuosly drueling on the mic, I don't think it will effect the microphones performance.

Disclaimer: Although I own quite a few mics, I am by no means, in any shape or form, a microphone expert.

• Members

thanks for that the replies. i just read on a review that condensation on the capsule could cause tone problems. But, since the mic is made with such a close pattern, it was probably just hot air. anyone have an om7 or om5? care to comment on them?

• Members

thanks for the reply. my 55 tends to stay in cool places so that part of it. I've decided to go with the om5 as soon as i scrape up the money. I will still probably switch back and forth but the 55 is impossible for cupping. my main fear was that the capsule would get moisture on it mid show and start distorting but apparently no one has ever had that problem so i should be fine.

Archived