Develop your vibrato using a sound that Curly from The Three Stooges used to make.

GJaunz

• Members

The guy's vibrato in the intro song reminds me of Axl Rose's vibrato somewhat.

Then when he does that hugely loud vibrato thing, he reminds me of Jack Black. (it seems everyone does) lol

I started watching this with the attitude that it was silly. But...no, I get it. I've wondered how to teach someone how to do vibrato, and the only way I could work it out would be to slow it down, and it does kinda sound like that Curley noise...(but with a NICE voice, not the weird Curley voice), in that it's 2 notes oscillating (if that's the right word).

PS. I don't care for how the guy says V-EYE-BRATO.

• Members

v-ee-brato not v-eye-brato...being foreign myself I hear this and it hurts my ears...if we are to adapt foreign language expressions into the English language, can we at least pronounce them in the correct way? I am there with you Grace!

Love the video and it is very helpful for people trying to develop the technique, never thought about it that way but it is solid when you think about it! Thanks for posting it!

Rod

• Members

@Grace: That's cool you made the Axl comparison, I was def going for a GnR ballad kind of vibe when I recorded that song (especially as far as the instrumentation goes). As for the Jack Black type thing, yeah, I was going for silly :-). I try to make my lesson videos both entertaining and informative, so I usually incorporate a bit of humor. Thanks for checking it out!

amx13: Haha, yup that's me! The Three Stooges were a slapstick comedy group that made a bunch of great movies and shows back in the day. I'll try and find a clip of Curly making that noise on Youtube and post it here. Glad you enjoyed it anyway!

rodclement: That's funny my pronunciation of vibrato is troublesome to you guys! That's actually the standard American pronunciation of the word. I'm of Italian decent and grew up speaking some Italian though, so I can also pronounce it the Italian way. I'll have to do it that way next time for you guys :-). Thanks a lot for the feedback!

• Moderators

Most Americans and western countries pronounce it as veye-brato.

Italians pronounce it as vee-brato

Just listen to Pavarotti (@0:05). lol :lol:

(btw, this video talks about 'cover', static!!)

[video=youtube;uo6dDQiBGyI]

• Members

I finally found a youtube clip of Curly making the noise that inspired this lesson! In this episode, Curly orders fresh oyster stew, but finds that the oyster is a bit too fresh :-P. The sound I'm talking about is at about 3:03.

[video=youtube;qaHLlGtOZbg]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I prefer Shemp's vibrato. (Cut to three sleeping stooges) "Honk - shoo - mi,mi,mi,mi...."

Maybe Curly can help with head voice? Whoop whoop whoop, lol

LOL, that's great! Sorry I haven't been on here in forever, been crazy busy these days!

• Members

No problem, glad to help :-). Funny you should say that, there was some debate on here as to the proper pronunciation of vibrato. I'm from the northeastern part of the United States (right outside Philadelphia), and everyone I know says it the way I do, but it definitely varies from place to place.

• Members

lol

I wouldn't worry too much about how to pronounce Vibrato, learning how to pronounce Warble or Tremelo would be more to the point.

I don't dislike the sound, but it is not Vibrato.

Nice video , just needs to be re titled.

:thu:

• Members

lol

I wouldn't worry too much about how to pronounce Vibrato, learning how to pronounce Warble or Tremelo would be more to the point.

I don't dislike the sound, but it is not Vibrato.

Nice video , just needs to be re titled.

:thu:

Trim-Jello...silent "J"....lol

Archived