Picking a vocal style for a song

• Members

Often, people just (lazily) copy the style of the original singer. But part of the art of singing is figuring out the mood and delivery of the song (which the original singer took the pains to do).

Well, one of my practice clips is "donna donna donna", (kind of ancient, and known worldwide, like john brown's body), and of course nobody knows who the "original singer" is. And there are so many versions knocking around that I subconsciously started with a blank slate.

I sang the clip again and again, but, although my technique improved, the mood sounded ALL WRONG to me. I tried to sing out more, project more, and put more energy into it, but it didn't work.

Then I did a mellow version, quite by accident, and it came out to be just what I was looking for all along! It needed to be more laid back! So, sometimes, all the obvious things you automatically think you should do are not necessarily the answer. In this case it was sort of the opposite of what I should have been doing!

Kinda got me thinking. I knew what mood I was looking for, but I didn't realize that it would be captured by using a more mellow tone. So, a learning curve, there.

For comparison, I was using this kind of tone before (which I think works for this song)...

• Members

This thing is not that a song cannot be sung in different moods. It can! The problem is when the way you are singing it does not match the mood you want!

Here is how a song can be sung TOTALLY differently...

[video=youtube;qC_KdZ1i63k]

The Luke Kelly version is more direct. But, the S&G version plays on an absence of urgency and makes a point about the insignificance of careless humanity. Both work.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Discovered this dude. I find that the best coaches have excellent psychological insight. That is a very difficult thing, and why I think good coaches are so few and far between. Like Franco Tenelli, Jack Livigni mentions the psychology behind technique.

If follows from one of the points he makes in this video that your mind must hear the correct sound before you can develop the technique to produce that sound. That is to say that your technique will try to produce what is in your mind -- what your mind's ear hears -- either consciously or subconsciously.

That is a really important point, because there are so many just-do-as-I-say coaches out there who instruct their students without really discussing the desired adjustments in sound, and making sure that the student is on board with it. Jack Livigni predicts that what happens in these situations is that the student will try to continue to make the same sound with the adjusted technique, rather than adjust the sound!

Anyway, he gives much food for thought, and raises some excellent points..

[video=youtube;RnSTjqVDAA4]

• Members

^

It would follow that, to have your own individual style for a song (rather than mimic an existing artist), you need to be able to create the mood and sound in your head first. The better you can do that, the more successful your technique and expression will become.

AS ALWAYS FOLKS, IGNORE THE TROLLS! STAY FOCUSED! :thu:

Archived