More vocal placement transition practice.

kickingtone

• Members

My current focus is transitioning between placements. It can be a placement switch or placement overlap (i.e a mix, effectively fading from one placement into another), so it is not merely a matter of practising onsets. The more placements you develop, the more transitions you have to practice, the more fun it becomes and the more expression you can achieve.

Here is one snippet I've sung before, but now I am able to clean up the transitions.

Ignore the trolls, folks, and stay focused! :thu:

• Moderators

[uSER=756134]New2[/uSER]

I have reviewed a number of your recent posts on the forum, due to personal attacks on other users and multiple complaints I must issue a temporary one week ban of your account. Be advised that repeated offenses and infractions in the future may lead to your account being permanently banned.

• Members

Clearly artificially tuned. I thought it was after a couple of seconds..confirmed when the phrase " at his side" when the automatic tuning can't decide which note it's meant to be.

And our banned friend is right there's no clear change of placement in that clip, it's all pretty much the same

• Members

Ignore the troll. There is NO TUNING.

He clearly has no clue what he is talking about.

Tuning is POINTLESS when you are practising. What would you be practising? (And I am not even a fan of tuning for production, either).

Just ignore the troll. He is at it on most of my threads.

• Members
There is NO TUNING.

Thou doth protest too much

Exhibit A - A Melodyne analysis of the recording clearly shows evidence of tuning, Pitch lines are not naturally that straight even with really talented singers of which you are not a club member

Exhibit B - The original is drenched in reverb so I have taken it off , it becomes even more apparent without the smearing effect covering it up so I have attached it for others to listen to.

Anyone who has used tuning software extensively knows the sound of it , I first had Autotune on a Win 98 machine when I had to upgrade a 486 DX4 100 to a Pentium 95 processor just to run the damned thing on one track. So I know it well. You can clearly hear it working but the main giveaway is when it's used incorrectly and re-tuning notes to the wrong pitch in an unnatural manner.

You can hear it on " old man " if you know the sound of it , the way it just stays dead in pitch but the first obvious moment is the " market " where shifts to the wrong note which means it's probably in in some sort of auto mode.

As mentioned " and held loosely at his side " is a dead giveaway as it gets the whole phrase wrong due to user error

Anyway I will leave those there for other to look / listen and let them decide if it sounds natural..or not

• Members

^

CD, you are clueless, I'm afraid.

The clip is a cappella sung straight from memory (without even a reference note to start me off -- so it is interesting to see what your Melodyne software made of the hissy clip!).

There is no tuning, whatsoever (I don't even have tuning software or hardware), so I know that you clearly DON'T know what tuned vocals SOUND like, or natural vocals for that matter.

That is why you are betwixt and between, trying to explain natural fluctuations as poor use of Autotune. It's called confirmation bias.

And it proves to me, for one, that you have no real feel for sound. You rely on readouts.

I have no tuning software or hardware, and wouldn't use any if I had. I did a thread on this a while back -- on a couple of videos where a sound engineer "corrected" some natural vocals, and in my opinion, killed them stone dead. I have not come across one video of a sound engineer "correcting" vocals, where I did not agree with the vocalist's original rendition. Sorry, sound engineers (real ones).

Once again, you've stuffed vocals blindly into Melodyne and tried to interpret what you SEE. Bad idea!

• Members

Let's hope that's the troll out of the way.

I'd been practising various placement transitions, as with my previous thread and "The Mermaid" song.

The clip in this present thread was actually something I sent to a retired editor (on a forum I will not name), just for a joke (we go back some way, so it's all taken in good spirit). He is Canadian, which is why I sing "streets of Brandon" instead of "streets of London". And, as a retired magazine editor, the reference to "yesterday's papers telling yesterday's news" wouldn't have been lost on him. :-)

And as he is retired, all I did was put stress on the words "old man". Trolling, and confirmation bias made CD hear "tuning",

Most of my clips get converted directly from .wav file format to SoundCloud's internal format. This one got saved in another format (for sending to the "old man"), then got converted back to .wav, then to SoundCloud's internal format. Each time you do that, you lose sound information. But instead, CD hears a clip "drenched in reverb" causing a "smearing effect", which he "expertly" "took off" :eek2: LOL :-) (reversed the information loss :-) )

Anyway, it was funny, and it's all good.

• Members

For a guy who has no real feel for sound I must be extremely good at readouts to have my music used in TV shows.

Yep, just like you wrote all that hot air up there, showing you have no idea of the sound of natural vocals. Heavens knows what nonsense you did, thinking that you were removing "drenched reverb" LOL. And I bet by now that you have asked a real sound engineer and they've told you that there is no tuning.

Well, since you actually have Melodyne, instead of chatting hot air, tune everything to what YOU think is the correct pitch, and post the result on SoundCloud so we can all hear the jack sh1t you are talking. :snax::bounce022:

• Members

And I bet by now that you have asked a real sound engineer and they've told you that there is no tuning.:

Nope , I stand by my previous post - Unfortunately nobody is interested to even listen to the clips or view the image let alone voice their own opinion based on the evidence presented.

• Moderators

Seems like they mostly say it hasn't been tuned. I won't say for certain, but sometimes a vocal can sound autotune-ish when it is sung in a very straight tone with little change in timbre from note to note, which is what KT is exactly doing here and in a number of his other recordings. Maybe his room reverb also adds to that effect?

Anyway, back to KT's original topic, yes, I am hearing some changes in placement in the vocal. Especially the heady tone in the word "lonely". I'm just wondering, what type of room are you singing in? There seems to be a distinct room reverb in most of your recordings. Sounds like you're recording in an empty bedroom?

• Members

Seems like they mostly say it hasn't been tuned.?

Actually it's a fairly close split and one person even picked out the exact spots I did as sounding ' unnatural' without any prompting from me. Whatever the cause it sounds odd.

There seems to be a distinct room reverb in most of your recordings. Sounds like you're recording in an empty bedroom?

I wouldn't worry he doesn't seem to be able to hear it. Or the difference between that and when it's been reduced using a plugin by Zynaptic called Unveil

Archived