Looking for vocal advice/feedback

Deerica

• Members

I've just started trying to add vocals to my guitar playing over the last month or two, and normally my singing voice is a more melodic version of my talking voice (if that makes sense). This has normally had some pitch issues (nothing huge, but annoying).

Yesterday I was trying some different sounds and one just popped, it's like my whole throat opened up and I was singing from my stomach (weird I know...). It also felt much deeper than my typical voice.

Long story short, I recorded a condensed version of I am the Highway (Audioslave) and I'm looking for feedback in terms of tone and pitch. I'm unsure whether I should develop this new "voice" or go back into my comfort zone so I'm looking for thoughts.

• Members

Garage band is a DAW - however in this instance it all came in via a single channel so there is no DAW processing, just capture (hence the thin sounding acoustic).

The signal path is SM58 beta -> Mackie mixer -> MacbookPro.

The reverb you hear is room bleed into the vocal and acoustic mics.

• Members
Ow I see

so you just ran your Mic into the mixer then and mixer straight to PC/ laptop (with nothing ell in between). So you where using the mixer as an external sound card right? Do you use the same mixer for gigging? What cable was it that plugged into your PC, USB, 3.5mm or something ells?

You said you did not use a DAW on this ocasion, did you just use the standard Windows recording program instead?

Thanks

Correct, 2 mics (SM 58 beta for voice, 57 for guitar) straight into mixer, then mixer USB connected to laptop recording as a single track inside GarageBand). So yes, recorded into a DAW, but no processing done in the DAW outside of exporting the track as an MP3 and uploading to soundcloud.

The mixer itself was adjusted for gain, levels, slight EQ, etc.

• Moderators

I had a few listens to your recording. I think your singing is not bad. Aside from some onset notes, overall pitch is pretty good. If you feel yourself thinking from your stomach that's most likely the use of the diaphragm for breath support, which is the right approach. The more you can access that feeling, the stronger the voice will become over time. You seem to be singing this song with a more sombre and subdued tone without too much variation in dynamics. I would give some songs with a wider dynamic range a try, as in songs with more loud parts and see how the voice reacts. Nevertheless this is a good start. Hope to hear more from you.

• Members
I had a few listens to your recording. I think your singing is not bad. Aside from some onset notes' date=' overall pitch is pretty good. If you feel yourself thinking from your stomach that's most likely the use of the diaphragm for breath support, which is the right approach. The more you can access that feeling, the stronger the voice will become over time. You seem to be singing this song with a more sombre and subdued tone without too much variation in dynamics. I would give some songs with a wider dynamic range a try, as in songs with more loud parts and see how the voice reacts. Nevertheless this is a good start. Hope to hear more from you.[/quote']

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I tend to go under pitch when singing high, so I'l give that a shot. Meanwhile, I've signed up for some vocal coaching so we'll see where that goes.

• Members

I am sure that you don't really mean to suggest that anybody, let alone a stranger over the internet, can tell you to "go back into your comfort zone" and you'd do it! :cool:

Finding a new EXTRA channel for your voice is always worth celebrating. It's the beginning of expanding your vocals, not replacing it. Always an exciting milestone, when it happens.

Obviously, I can't compare this singing with your "comfort zone" as we don't have a sample. However, it sounds a safe thing to explore and develop without harming your voice.

In classical terms, the sound is heading towards what they call "scuro". A singer could then use "squillo" on top of the scuro to balance the tone. Developing squillo would also address the tendency to fall shy of the higher notes.

You've used the same tone throughout the song, which is fine from a practice perspective, as you road test, develop and consolidate the sound. For an actual cover, you'd have to put different pieces (all the sound channels you discover) together in a dynamic mix. But, if you are anything like me, you'd want to spend a fair amount of time consolidating each part first.

Archived