Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to learn to sing. But god am I horrible...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to learn to sing. But god am I horrible...

Go easy on me please. When I was around 16-17 I was a bit better but still not great... Probably because of how often I sang and I didn't have the fear of being heard which is why I sang constantly. Well what happened to a lot of people happened to me. People who could sing pretty well(A couple of friends who just had the natural ability) that I knew would trash me pretty harshly if I sang around them. So I stopped completely. I wouldn't even sing when no one was round. Well I am about to be 30 now. I have always wanted to be able to sing just casually and it be okay sounding. I don't want to make music or anything. I just don't want to sound like a dying animal. Which is what I sound like now.... I don't believe there are many people who are truly tone deaf. I actually used to be able to match pretty well what I heard and even harmonize a little.

But now I sound like I am more tone deaf than most lol. Well in this recording I didn't have much volume because of that fear of being heard and I am not alone in my house. Not that me getting any louder would help any... If I remember right it is easier to control when you are louder but I doubt at this point it matters. It is the first time I have sang in a bit and the first time I have recorded myself since in highschool. So this recording is pretty depressing. It makes me not want to try again. Oh well though. I didn't even attempt to try again and do it better. I doubt I could. I actually enjoy singing a lot even though I am horrible. I enjoy singing things that I relate to more which is probably just obvious but that is why I chose this song. I can't afford vocal lessons right now but I am definitely going to get some when I can afford it. Singing in front of that person is going to brutal for me though.

My nieces father is one of the people who have amazing natural ability. He also is very smart. So he taught himself guitar, bass(not exactly very different but still), piano, drums, and to sing. Which he is very good at all of them. I am jealous. I heard this song the first time when he sang it. And he honestly sings it better than the original. Well in my opinion. People have different tastes. He has written and created 100s of complete original songs in many different genres. I don't understand how people can do this at all. I mean without any kind of professional help at all. Again... Jealous.. Anyway... From the way I sound now you may think I am lying that I was alright at singing when I was younger lol. I'd love some advice. Just try not to be harsh please. This is embarrassing enough as it is...

https://instaud.io/3aJs
    Last edited by Mulnore; 01-14-2019, 02:41 AM.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I had a listen to your recording. I think your pitch is decent, if there is any part where it is a bit off its simply due to being tight or tense. You shouldn't sell yourself short, you seem to follow the pitch of the song fairly well, which IS a natural ability. You shouldn't compare yourself to others too much, its true that there are singers better than yourself but also singers who are much worse. And also no matter what level you're at, even for a great singer there is always going to be someone who is better. Not only is singing physical in nature but its also psychological, which can also affect its physical aspect. A fear reflex can hold back your singing in a negative way, breaths get shallower and shallower, the body gets tense and you start to lock up, not being able to release your voice fully. The fear of being heard can also affect your singing negatively, which goes against the whole idea of singing, to sing is to be heard. If you hold back too much, then all of the tension is being forced inward, rather than feeling the expansion and open feeling of singing freely. I think trying to sing while having this fear can sometimes do more harm than good. You have to make a point to sing out fully. You should deliberately look for a more convenient time and/or place to sing without this fear getting in your way. Although you may not have professional aspirations towards singing, voice lessons can begin to set you on the right path to developing your voice and can go a long way to making consistent improvement, even if its only a couple of lessons or just once a month. I hope you found this helpful.
    Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
    Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by davie View Post
      Hi and welcome to the forum,

I had a listen to your recording. I think your pitch is decent, if there is any part where it is a bit off its simply due to being tight or tense. You shouldn't sell yourself short, you seem to follow the pitch of the song fairly well, which IS a natural ability. You shouldn't compare yourself to others too much, its true that there are singers better than yourself but also singers who are much worse. And also no matter what level you're at, even for a great singer there is always going to be someone who is better. Not only is singing physical in nature but its also psychological, which can also affect its physical aspect. A fear reflex can hold back your singing in a negative way, breaths get shallower and shallower, the body gets tense and you start to lock up, not being able to release your voice fully. The fear of being heard can also affect your singing negatively, which goes against the whole idea of singing, to sing is to be heard. If you hold back too much, then all of the tension is being forced inward, rather than feeling the expansion and open feeling of singing freely. I think trying to sing while having this fear can sometimes do more harm than good. You have to make a point to sing out fully. You should deliberately look for a more convenient time and/or place to sing without this fear getting in your way. Although you may not have professional aspirations towards singing, voice lessons can begin to set you on the right path to developing your voice and can go a long way to making consistent improvement, even if its only a couple of lessons or just once a month. I hope you found this helpful.
      Thank you . I am surprised at the positive response honestly. I mean my ear used to be a lot better but I can still hear pitch. I could tell I was there at some points but also one of my problems is when I hear the difference in voice period and confuse the two. What I mean is the sound of my voice and the sound of the person singing the song is different so at times while I am singing there seems to be a big difference but at the same time I know you can have the right pitch but still sound different because of having a different voice. So I don't know what I think. I will get lessons when I can though. This comment helped me feel a bit better.
      **Edit** I was feeling pretty nervous while recording this. For the reason of not being alone and for the reason of knowing that I was going to post it. I was pretty tense and had that feeling in my stomach the whole time. I could feel my throat being more tight than usual.
      ***Another edit*** My last attempt https://vocaroo.com/i/s18RNcuZKfan
      Here is another https://vocaroo.com/i/s1mQJI8BQDOR
      This is the last one I'ma post for a while https://vocaroo.com/i/s1fioXxZvnaN
      Last edited by Mulnore; 01-15-2019, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Singing is about being positive, and you make it difficult for yourself if you focus on negative people and negative comments.

Comment

Originally posted by kickingtone View Post
          Singing is about being positive, and you make it difficult for yourself if you focus on negative people and negative comments.
          I've had this problem in many areas in my life when it comes to negativity. I've always cared too much about what people think and say especially the negative stuff.

***Edit***
          Me trying to sing Creep by Radiohead
          https://vocaroo.com/i/s1KWedPFEf7h
          Last edited by Mulnore; 01-16-2019, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kickingtone View Post
            For once I agree with SLM (dressed up as KT)
            for every one real singer there are 1000 a ho@#%&**************** for brains play/ prat musisions.
            and for them there are indeed again 1 to a thousand that have never made any effort at it full stop! But are more then glad to criticise your hard work by finding the smallest fault in your work and saying right that's it you made a mistake and therefore you don't have what it takes and you should pack it all in before you make a fool out of your self. And who are these people we ask, what musical experience training do they hold, the answer is fk all!

I will use SLMs base the homerecordingforum as proof!
            Last edited by New2; 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

4 more. In the order that they were done.
              https://vocaroo.com/i/s1gQXTcLXxeJ
              https://vocaroo.com/i/s1r1hKO2PUMy
              https://vocaroo.com/i/s0jAOSRikifs
              https://vocaroo.com/i/s1kk8J9J3hhW
              Last edited by Mulnore; 01-19-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

So, what is your plan?

I mean what have you learned/done differently between the different songs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mulnore View Post
                  4 more. In the order that they were done.
                  [URL]https://vocaroo.com/i/s1gQXTcLXxeJ
                  on that first clip there I can hear the original singer and your voice together, there are indeed notes that you are singing to sharp or to flat conpered to the original, can you notice them?

Comment

Working...
                  X