Blending head and chest voice, but I can only bring my head voice down to about middle C/D

partlycloudy

• Members

What do you mean by "bringing your head voice down", and what do you understand by "chest voice" and "head voice"?

Some people describe "chest voice" and "head voice" only via the sensation of feeling vibration in the chest or head/face. Lower frequencies tend to felt in the chest and higher frequencies in the head. You can use "call mode" to get the harmonics of lower frequencies to resonate in the head (or "the mask").

When I started out, I was careful to look at my voice as one voice capable of reaching and occupying different resonant spaces in the vocal tract, rather than separate chest and head voices that bridge or swap. i.e, I took the classical approach rather than the contemporary pop/rock approach.

• Moderators

It's difficult to say what's going on unless I hear it.

I would guess that you're engaging the pure head voice and trying to bring it down as low as possible. At some point the phonation needs to blend with a more chest voice sound. You need to make adjustments to the breath compression once you're down there or else the sound won't come through.

• Members
It's difficult to say what's going on unless I hear it.

I would guess that you're engaging the pure head voice and trying to bring it down as low as possible. At some point the phonation needs to blend with a more chest voice sound. You need to make adjustments to the breath compression once you're down there or else the sound won't come through.

That's pretty much what I'm doing - engaging the pure head voice and trying to bring it down as low as possible - because I was told to bring the head voice down as low as I can sing in order to connect it with my chest voice.

• Moderators

That's pretty much what I'm doing - engaging the pure head voice and trying to bring it down as low as possible - because I was told to bring the head voice down as low as I can sing in order to connect it with my chest voice.

Yes, this is true and it is a gradual process, it takes some time for the blending of the registers to develop. Within the vocal method that I use, the Swedish-Italian technique, there is an exercise called cuperto. It is used to find the chest and head registers and then blend them together.

• Members
Yes' date=' this is true and it is a gradual process, it takes some time for the blending of the registers to develop. Within the vocal method that I use, the Swedish-Italian technique, there is an exercise called [i']cuperto[/i]. It is used to find the chest and head registers and then blend them together.

I had a huge break through yesterday/today! I can now consistently mix coming down or if I attack the note directly, just not on an ascending scale/slide or in a line of a song where the notes are ascending. But I think it's really close to be honest. I am finally consistently letting the sound release into my head and it's *not* sounding like a pure head voice, to my surprise. I think a consistent mix is on the horizon!!

Archived