Choir issue/problem

partlycloudy

• Members

I joined a choir a few months ago and passed a simple audition (a surprise audition, but nevertheless, a simple one). However, they have me singing what is, frankly, way too high a part. I'm singing mostly between F4 and F5 and F5 is just about as high as I can sing reliably right now. But even that is all up in head voice. I can only sing until like B4 or C5 without flipping over into head voice (or maybe it's kind of a high mix, I'm not sure, but the tone sounds really light). So I have to keep passing between registers in a super annoying and tiring way. I get tired after about 2 hours and the rehearsals are 3 hours long. It would be really helpful if I could sing a lower part. I can sing all the way down to about B2 or C3 pretty comfortably so I don't know what's wrong with doing that. Do you know why they assigned me an excessively high voice part?

• Members
Those notes there sound like an alto part' date=' are you singing with the altos?[/quote']

No, the four parts are lead, tenor, bass, baritone, like a barbershop.

as far as I have heard from choirs all the females sing in head voice

The choir is all female. It's a pop style barbershop choir with lots of higher belted notes, which are not sung in head voice (or not supposed to be, anyway). Our basses sing as low as C3 regularly, which is definitely not in head voice.

how long have you been singing/ training for?

Off and on for about five years, seriously for about 8 months.

• Members

There is an entire organization called Sweet Adelines International which is composed of female-only barbershop choruses (and quartets) which have the lead, tenor, baritone, bass parts.

Those notes are to high for tenor classification. C3 is classed as the lowest note for a tenor not bass

That's nice, but as I already said before, this is an all female group. C3 is just about the lowest note most women can sing, so it goes to the basses.

If you don't want to be helpful or constructive, that's fine, but it's a bit silly to pretend the choir (and Sweet Adelines writ large) doesn't exist.

• Members
If you can't keep up with the choir then that's your problem

If your reading comprehension is that bad, you have a serious problem.

I still recommend you email Sweet Adelines with your complaints. They urgently need to know that C3 is the lowest note for tenor, not bass, and that choirs aren't supposed to have baritone parts. And all the other things you sh*tposted in this thread. Email them soon, before they make any more mistakes. Maybe they'll hire you for your expertise.

• Members
It is you that has the problem and no one ells on this forum my friend. While we may try and help you find answers to your questions I for one am not going to go out of my way doing your dirty work email said company who I have no idea where and what to' date=' it is your responsibility to take up any issues you have with the choir that you are in and can not sing along with[/quote']

Lol, you were the one who named issues such as your claim that C3 is the lowest note for tenor, not bass, and that choirs aren't supposed to have baritone parts. I told you to take those complains up with the choir since I did not design those parts.

• Members
It is for you to contact your own choir with issues you have with them and not foe everyone ells

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_type

But you were the one with the issues. You were the one who named issues such as your claim that C3 is the lowest note for tenor, not bass, and that choirs aren't supposed to have baritone parts. I told you to take those complains up with the choir since I did not design those parts.

Archived