I hate my tone!!HELP it's horrible

Poupee1989

• Members

Hi i am a beginner, very beginner, i hate my tone.

i have done research and the tips to sing less nasaly aren't helping and the tips to keep soft pallet high either. Any suggestions? Why does it sound so awful!

i love singing and can sing for hours but no matter what vocal exercises i do i always sound awful like this!!

thank you

• Members

lol, you're off key, so I would focus on that first and foremost.

(It is as if you are listening to the recording more than your own voice, which is an "impossible" way to sing accurately.)

Then I advise getting out of the psychology of "hating your tone." What hating your tone can do is make you try to adopt a tone that is not natural for you (often the tone of a singer you admire or are listening to), and it can happen quite subconsciously. Then you may create a problem from something that wasn't one in the first place.

In trying to avoid nasality, you may also start avoiding nasal resonance, which is not nasality, but is essential for good tonal balance.

So, I say, the first step is to embrace your voice and the journey you are taking it on.

As a beginner, you really want to be finding your own raw natural tone, and building on that. If you are naturally nasal (i.e it is not caused by bad technique or straining) it is better not to fight it. Some singers works with it, and take advantage. A naturally nasal tone can sound good and authentic for some songs. There are even whole sub-genres that I would call nasal.

Give your natural voice a good chance.

• Members

Yeah you got that Cilla Black type sound going on , it sounds a bit fake and forced for current tastes although others may like it but your intonation is probably the first thing I would fix as it's what most people will latch onto as being "wrong" and it's probably the easiest aspect of singing to correct as it's just repetiton and ear training.

It's a long road but you just have to keep chipping away at it one problem at a time , I think you got some good things going on there as well so if you could find the right teacher they could probbaly teach you to balance out that resonance over time.

A lot of singing for begginers is not learning new stuff, it's undoing old habits and unflattering co-ordinations.

Edit ...Oh ..and another thing..pratice singing without the crutch of the original on singer on the backing track. You can find most of these songs as Karaoke versions on Youtube or streaming sites..try usign those instead

Archived