Presenting my "Shape of my heart" cover to get valuable advice.

McsLk

• Members

Hello everyone!

Firstly I just want to say Hello cause it's the first post of mine at this discussion forum...

I'm 26 yo, fully amator, musician from Poland. I would like to ask you to rate my recording, determine the possibilities and properties of my voice and provide some advice for the future...

Forgive me any shortcomings related to the accent and English vocabulary. I hope you can help me in my development as a musician.

Have a nice day, thanks, Marcin!

• Members

That is a beautiful rendition of that song. Your pitch is right, the mic technique is very well done and there's just the right amount of emotion given to the lyrics. Thank you for a very nice mix!

The song doesn't really test your range, though. If you can bring the same emotion to a wider scale and your breathing technique is practiced diligently, I don't see anything that would keep you out of the studio or off a stage provided you have the right material for your talents.

Very nice. VERY nice. :thu:

• Members

You have good vocal control and expression in the whole range of the song, with the registrations you have chosen. (It is also good that you sang it as yourself, and didn't try to sound like Sting).

Your accent is fine, apart from one thing. It's a very common problem -- the English "th" sound. You have replaced it by a "d" which is sounding too heavy. Irish singers also use a "d" (or "t" to start a word) sound instead of "th", but theirs is softer and works well. You may want to check out some Irish folk songs to get an idea. Failing that, get yourself an English girlfriend :D.

I am guessing that folks are going to need more than this one song to be able to answer the rest of your post -- maybe something that gets into your mid-range at the top end, and is more beefy at the lower end (where you have used falsetto).

• Members

Oh God, thanks for a feedback that you gave me. It's really important to me.

I'm not a native speaker so I have accent problems which are connected with my natural one. I'll try to fix it soon.

I can show you a little bit more of my singing. There are different keys than F# minor one. There are some lyrics issues but I hope that won't prevent you to rate the musical aspects...

It's a big deal to me that there are some people appreciating my work. Thanks! ;)

Another Videos:

• Members

In "Slide" song I recorded backing track the same as a lead vocal. I used Superlux E205u mic, little bit lower gain on each of the backing track vocals and I spread it into different channel in the amount of approx 70%.

• Members

Marcin, I finally hit the additional Youtube links you posted. Very well done, and your guitar work is impressive as well. Your phrasing and guitar work put me in mind of one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Richard Shindell. You might consider checking out his work.

I have no advice for you - I don't believe you need any that I could offer. If you're not currently performing for an audience, please do so. If not, please continue to record and post your new works here as an example to singers who frequent this forum. I look forward to hearing much more from you in the future.

Thanks for a most enjoyable listening experience.

• Members
If not, please continue to record and post your new works here as an example to singers who frequent this forum. I look forward to hearing much more from you in the future.

Thanks for a most enjoyable listening experience.

With the great pleasure I can show you something more, thank you:

(Live video, sorry for a quality)

• Members

OK. The new tracks were really good. I noticed, on 'Purple Rain', that you were pushing hard to hit the high notes (the rise in 'in the purple rain'). That segment went a bit flat. Obviously you're very skilled as a vocalist but you might wish to work on increasing your upper range a bit more. Breathing can help, taking good care of your throat and vocal cords can help, but mostly it's practice-practice-practice going up into that upper register without relying on a falsetto (which sounds fine, by the way).

The live track was interesting. Good vocals, good stage-presence and a sweet solo really works well for you. The quality of the recording is secondary - the performance itself was very well done. I'm glad to see you on stage - I think that's a pretty natural environment for someone with your talent.

Great tracks. Thank you!

• Members

I'm not sure if I clearly understood but I'll try to give an answer. I recorded it separetly, firstly I recorded main voice while listening backing track on my headphones, then I recorded backing vocals in the same way.

• Members

I mixed it in DAW program. There is an option that I can turn off every single path and after the recording I can turn it on and put all together in a good way.

In "Slide" song video was recorded after the voice recording ;). Glad you did not notice.

• Members

New2 if you want a better DAW than Audacity that won't cost you a penny go and get Cakewalk by Bandlab ....it used to be several hundred quid when it was known as Sonar Platinum but they got bought out and Bandlab have made it free...no strings attached.

It does have some video capability although I have never used it for that purpose.

I think what the OP is saying is that people normally record the vocals in the DAW and then make a video afterwards where they're miming to the recording. So it's not the raw vocal that you are hearing, it's been comped , polished had FX applied in the mix to make it sound as good as possible.

• Members
What is all of that' date=' can you do that in audacity to make it sound better?[/quote']

Comping is recording multiple takes of a part i.e the lead vocal and then chopping it up and using the best bits from each take to make a compilation or comp for short. So you would end up with a master lead vocal track made up purely from the best parts of all of them.

I'm not familiar with Audacity but you can do this with any multi track DAW. More advanced DAWs have comping tools to make it easier.

After that you can use compression, EQ , reverb and delay to make it sound better.

Archived