Symphony X - Inferno (Unleash the Fire)

FelipeCarvalho

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Depends on what you mean by demand.

This would surely not be part of any of the gigs I do (70s classic rock, power metal), too progressive and relatively unknown here (though I think you could summon a crowd for a small gig with this type of song once in a while). Probably it's best to work on your own songs in this style and build your own audience. I would say there is very low demand for this type of cover.

As a study song, it was awesome because it touches the spots I need to work on (alternating how I approach the high range as interpretation). I needed it, so high demand in the case of myself getting better.

And then there is the teaching aspect, I don't plan it much but besides the by the book fundamentals, I kinda specialize on helping people solve the middle range and developing stamina/power. It's a good way to demonstrate what I offer as a teacher and, in this case, there is demand.

• Members
The stupidity of people hear on the net that think its a branded name female artist so there for man will not be able to sing those notes EVER! But woman can still sing mans songs (yes this includes you to CD)

Lol..I do sing female songs sometimes..just not the really high ones but yeah there are blokes who can go really high as well.

You seem to have been leaving a trail of destruction across the popular music forums :smiley-lol:...poor Hugh. You should have asked me, I would of told you that the Behringer interface is not designed to take a mic not matter what connectors you buy...or that you need a reasonable spec of PC to run a modern DAW. I guess you could run an older version of something from Windows XP days but it sounds like you may not have a proper soundcard either if Pro Tools won't run.

I'm still not 100% clear on what you want to do , are you planning to make a video of yourself singing along to the backing track ?

• Members

I have ordered a Behringer XENYX1002FX mixer and with this and the audio interface I plan on first video recording myself (with windows movie maker) singing to backing tracks behind a home made star cloth

That's a good little mixer, it's shocking how cheap they are now I remember paying double that about 18 yrs ago for something similar but without the built in FX.

Been a long time since I have seen Windows Movie Maker, I did use it once years ago to make a video at my old company. I'm not sure if it captures audio and video together? You might have to capture them separate and then line up the audio and video manually. Video is not my thing really , last time I put a video together Youtube didn't even exist lol.

So it seems to me you will have 3 separate elements you will need to bring together in the software. 1. Backing Track 2. Vocal 3. Video

What are you using for the camera ? And can Window MM handle the files from it ?

• Members

Hello Felipe

Said to myself after the weeks ban, not going to bother coming back hear as all seamed a waste of time

Not getting any constructive criticism on reviewing my singing or getting any one to bother to read it full stop

Only stuff that has been going on hear are 5 minute wonerbee dream boys who don't take the message on training and are soon gone after they post there first song

Other then that and its you know who! foolling! as ever

Hear is a classic example of the unconstructive criticism I am rtefering to

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...ice-sound-here

A time served member of the forum with a photo of him with some fancy piano guitar and a microphone, hears the first song. The original artist being a female interbreed illumanarti hybrid reptilian blood line. And said member jumps on the stereo type ideology wagon, ow its a female voice and therefore a male will not be able to sing those high notes there therefore this person should sing in there range. When its quite clear the opening post was singing out of key, **************** ****************ing musicians!

And to add insalt to this said member says I know its difficult in tempting your self to sing the songs you love but please surpress your self and try and stay in your range. When really it should of been I know itd difficult but it takes several years of daily training to build your range. The stupidity of people hear on the net that think its a branded name female artist so there for man will not be able to sing those notes EVER! But woman can still sing mans songs (yes this includes you to CD) Because when you look at the scores of all these songs you find they don't know what they are talking about!

Wow dude. Seriously?

The user asked "How does my voice sound here?"

The blunt answer is "terrible" since the song is obviously WAY out of his range, but even if he pitch-shifted it down he'd still be out of key. . But rather than say that, I was trying to guide him along to perhaps choose something that is in his range. It's one thing if a person is pitchy due to having maybe not a great ear or whatever, but what constructive criticism can you give someone who literally cant hit the notes other than to urge them to sing something more in their range so we can give a more useful critique??

Meanwhile your response is the ever-so much more helpful

"Only listened to the first one

it is completely off key! Will post my karly song hear soon"?

Seriously?

• Members

transferred this file from my win 10 laptop to my win xp PC and windows movie maker did not reconise the file.

Yeah I don't think we had HD cameras running at 720p outside of more Pro grade software of the time so Windows MM is not gonna be able to read that type of file. Even in it's day it was a fairly basic program. I had a Sony digital camcorder with a firewire port for my old project at the time. So still not analogue even back then although they do record the signal to tape. If you use analogue video gear then you need a video capture card for the PC.

Have a look at my diagram I have uploaded with this message and tell me what you think

Well it looks like everything should connect up but I'm still not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve ? What is the monitor & PA for ?

If you are just making a video of you singing for Youtube or wherever then they aren't needed. Are you aware that you risk a feedback loop if you have the mic close to the PA or Monitor ? Usually you would use headphones and record a clean vocal.

Also there is usually no need to run the music track through the mixer, just transfer the MP3 file to the PC and import it into Movie Maker

• Moderators

Scum like you two should be ..

James,

Please refrain from such remarks. The admins and mods here have been quite lenient towards you and your behaviour. You're at a risk in getting banned again. If you wish to continue using and participating in this forum community then I suggest stop with the offensive comments and conduct yourself properly.

• Members

The PA is there for the audience to hear me and the monitor is there so I can hear myself.

As they say 2 birds with one stone (recording a live performance)

Okay it seems like a bit of a complex set up for recording a live performance.

A webcam is probably not the right tool for the job. It may be okay at home where you can set up lighting and have a trial run but I imagine you are going to be moving around a bit as you sing ? And in a venue the light may not be that great so a webcam with a tiny lens is going to struggle. Ideally you need some sort of proper camera ( Dale's video used a 3 camera set up for example which were hired from a pro company ) and someone to operate it for you.

If you know anyone with a decent DSLR camera they are capable of taking excellent video footage nowadays plus you can use different lenses to get some depth of field and also mount them onto a tripod.

If I was doing it wouldn't be relying a computer to record a live show either, they have a tendency to crash etc if they are not made for the job. What you could do is record your vocals off the desk straight into a recorder of some sort ( like one of the Zoom range ) and then import the file into WMM later to sync up with the video footage.

Once you get home after the performance you'll have 3 files. The audio recording of you singing , the MP3 backing track and then the video footage.

So you sync all those together in your video editing software to make the final video. What sort of venue is it ?

• Members

I have uploaded an image of what the camera quality is like.

It's a bit blurred isn't it ? Is there a way of adjusting the focus ? Is that the resolution it shoots at ? 640 x 480 ? I though tit did 720p which is 1280×720

pubs and clubs, small time to start out anyway

Yeah they are quite dark these places usually , I doubt the webcam will have the low light capability to deal with it very well. Outdoors should be a different story and you will benefit from the good light but you are hampered by the fact it needs to be tethered to a laptop and it's not going to be easy to move around ..what if the venue hasn't got a spot to put your laptop at the right height/distance/ angle to get the shot ? This is why we shoot things on tripods so they can be easily positioned and adjusted for height etc.

For indoor you might want something like those led lights you can get as well as needing a 2nd tripod to mount it on...it all adds up even with budget gear. My wife is a photographer and her gear that she takes to a wedding cost about £10k

For the video I would forget the webcam/laptop combo. The footage is going to look shoddy if you share it to Youtube etc. How good is your mobile phone ? A decent premium smartphone that's a fairly recent model can take decent HD video these days and will outperform the webcam by quite some way. You can actually get add on lens kits for them as well, mostly for Apple or Samsung phones.

If you can't do that then at least look at getting a decent budget camcorder. They are quite cheap nowadays as everyone uses phones. But it will have a better lens, remote, tripod mount etc.

https://amzn.to/2IOXz2m

Zoom range?

Zoom is a company that make music gear, and they make a range of handheld recorders. I have their H1 for recording my singing lessons but you would probably need the H4 to connect up to the mixer and capture the singing off the desk but it can record 4 tracks at one so you could also record the audience sound off it's built in mics and then use that for a bit of ambience

https://bit.ly/2XTpYHP

Yeah I know WMM is not that good, I don't think many people use it now.

• Members

Well it looks a little better in 1280 x 720 but the focus is off still. Have you figured out how to change it ? Might be in the software that came with it.

As for lighting , you need to light the subject ( yourself ) so behind the camera and facing toward you

People use 3 cameras because watching a one camera shot can become boring. We are used to seeing multiple camera angles in TV and film as well as music videos etc so you'd have a wide shot, a close up and maybe one off to the side for some variety.

I wouldn't get a glass table for your stuff, that's the last thing you want to be taking around to gigs ! Heavy and breakable. There are some proper laptop stands for musicians if you do a search.

LEDs are bright and powerful for the small size and have low power consumption but also generate very little heat. They are ideal for portable set ups.

£10k , yep that's a top end Nikon full frame DSLR body, ( £4k ) , a 2nd back up body ( £2k) just in case anything happens to the main one mid wedding, a bunch of lenses ( £500- £1500 each) , Flashes, wireless triggers..soon adds up.

HD3000 is just the model number I think..It is probably worth watching this video to know the different options and pluses & minuses of each type of camera

The Zoom H4 has XLR / Quarter inc jack inputs so it should connect to most mixers , you just need to check the outputs but I think you should be ok.

• Members

No drivers/ software came with it, it is simply plug and play

How do you adjust the focus then ? Are you sure there isn't some software to be downloaded for it , maybe it tell you in the manual where to get it .

That could be difficault in a pub or club placing a light up there like that if it need to be above me

might need an adjustable light stand or something

You wouldn't normally light a subject from above , you'll get shadows. Behind the camera facing the subject is more usual

what about if I had 3 different songs all taken from different camera angles Not sure investing in 3 cameras is going to be worth it for the out come

You could record the same song from 3 angles and then splice it together to look like one performance

But what are you going to light up with an LED they dont give much light off full stop!

Well you can't even buy ordinary filament bulbs anymore, I think ever light in my house is LED ..they are plenty bright enough. Have you not seen the LED panels for video / photographers on sale ?

Here is a video about lighting

• Members

You don't adjust it! the web site link that came with it has no drivers to download

There must be a focus adjustment surely ? Otherwise how you supposed to get your subject in focus at different distances?

How tall of a light are you thinking? Taller then the camera or taller then the subject (myself)?

Well you just tripod or camera mount them , they are only about the size of a sheet of paper.

But I would not have a clue how to mix it

Line up the 3 different takes on the video editing software timeline and get them in sync, then you can go between takes seamlessly

This is probably beyond WMM

It could be an autofocus camera, but one that is placed in too close. They have a minimum focal distance - usually 3-4 feet - place it closer than that and objects will appear out of focus...

I'd move the camera back a bit and see if that improves the focus.

• Members

So do you think an office/ domestic desktop lamp with the flexi wire and the shade would do?

Not really, they may not be bright enough for video work, and they won't spread the light evenly either, There are good reasons why people don't use them. You need a proper one..they are not massively expensive..£30 +

But surly being a webcam it is designed to to be sat on a desk next to the computer while someone is sat on a chair less then 2 foot away from the camera.

Is that how you are doing your singing ? Sat down on a chair 2 foot from the webcam ?

Anyway have taken a photo with it again using the camera program on my windows 10 machine, and the subject (myself) is just over 4 feet away

Well yeah it's pretty bad.. Awful lighting, blurry image with no definition, and the picture is very noisy. I like the mask though..you should keep that on.

Webcam is not really the right tool for the job is it ? Unless you are going to do it in a more controlled environment like at home with some decent lights. Then it will probably suffice.

• Members

What do they call them so I can google the search term

Just go on to Amazon and search for Video Light

Is that what you think the issue is on this occasion, poor lighting?

Well that's half the issue the other half is it's a webcam, I could get better footage off my phone but it all depends how good a phone you got.

• Members

Yes..those are the type of thin

On the box it says its "720p HD video chat and recording widescreen"..720! Do you think its below that?

No but the resolution isn't the only thing that gives the quality, it's the lens and it's just a cheap webcam so it's probably got a very cheap lens in it.

• Members

Any differnet from a 100 watt bulb?

Yes much different , did you not watch the video comparing different types of lights that I posted the link to several posts back ?

Well after a hard days work/ I mean a hard nights foolling! on my way back from a job at around 5am I decided while there was a natural singer/ I mean natural day light to take a photo with my camera and win 10 laptop

And I have to say the picture is no better with natural light then indoor light! but its not as good as the first photo I took with my windows 10 machine with the alarm clock indoors for some reason

If you can't tell that it looks much better in natural light then heaven helps us all

• Members

I'm on a data allowance

But look at the door in the shadow, its all fuzzy!

Data allowance ? You're gonna be screwed when you start uploading videos then.

If it's in shadow then yes your webcam is going to struggle..cheap cameras and low light don't go well together. Plus there's such a thing as depth of field ... besides... the door is not the subject..we're not looking at the door, you are much clearer than the other photos.

Have you tried using your phone as a camera

• Members

1. The sound coming out of the mp3/4 player that I listened through with my headphones through the mixer (please see the images attached, I took with my phone) seamed to be coming out in mono and not stereo as it sounded like musical instruments where missing from the song

Did you plug it into both channels ? I assume the MP3 has a 3.5mm headphone type jack as it's output so you need a splitter lead that's 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 Quarter inch jack plugs. So one goes in where your arrow points and the other one is the next one down the socket underneath. That should give you stereo on the way in as long as knob 12 is in it's centre position.

2. I then monitored the sound from my audio interfaces monitors port using the same head phones and this time the sound was very quiet, I also monitored it from the computer after I recorded it and again monitored it from the outlet ports of the audio interface and still very quiet. But it can't be the audio interface is faulty, because I have plugged my mp3/4 player direct into that and there is a reasonable amount volume again doing the same checks as above[/i]

So if the MP3 sounds fine going in directly then you have lost some level somewhere in the mixer. What we call gain structure. So first of all check you are plugging both left and right signals from the MP3 into line in 5/6 ..otherwise you are losing half your signal which may explain it. Make sure there is a decent volume coming out the MP3 ..maybe 80% . You also have a level knob for channel 5/6 so you should be able to increase it. Also check your master fader( 17 ) is at unity..on the zero..again if it's still too quiet you have some headroom there to turn it up.

(will try my Realistic mixer latter on to see how it works though)

Lol. I used to work for Tandy when I was younger..long time ago now. Had a lot of Realistic stuff at one time. Still have their PZm Mic

• Members

3. After I recorded the video combining my mp3/4 player and my sm58 microphone and my web cam; you could hardly hear the vocals from the recording compared to the mp3/4 backing track. Unlike my old Realistic mixer, I do not see how you turn up the volume fro each channel. The only knobs on it are for FX, EQ, and gain (what ever that dose)(will try my Realistic mixer latter on to see how it works though)

Turn up the gain which is the knob underneath !

• Members

Would one of these do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-Stereo...72.m2749.l2649

Yes that's the right cable

The quick start guide/ manual I have that came with the mixer, dose not list the line in's by numbers so I don't know what you mean by line in 5/6! But if this is the case then I get the impression you mean I have lost half my sound due to only getting L and not R together

It does..the actual numbers are printed on to the mixer according to the diagram you posted... 5/6 is where you are plugging the MP3 in

But yes you need to split the stereo signal into mono Left and Right and plug into inputs 5 & 6 using the cable above.

• Members

Yer I turned that up, but I get a lot of crackalling noise

Hang on a sec

If your diagram is correct you are plugging it into the line in socket...instead of the mic socket !..No wonder it's crackling and not very loud.

You should be using the XLR socket for the mic just above labelled .1 on the diagram.

• Members

Yes that's right! The mic is plugged into "2. LINE IN" and not "1. MIC". That is because the cable is a 1/4" male plug and not an XLR plug. I bough an XLR to 1/4" plug cable for my SM58 so I could plug it into my Realistic mixer which dose not have any XLR port (only 1/4" for the mic)

Should you be regulating the volume using "3. GAIN" or "8. LEVEL" for the microphone input?

Well if (2) Line in is line level only then a microphone won't work properly in there as they are two entirely different signal levels. Some mixers have a switchable line/mic input for the jack socket but it looks like you have to use the XLR on this mixer.So you will have to try it when the new cable arrives.

As for using the (3) Gain or (8) Level to control the volume of the mic you should use a combination of both. So the gain is controlling the mic pre-amp and ideally you want to turn that up enough to get a good signal but without any distortion. This can vary a lot depending on the source sound, i.e. with a quieter singer you might have it quite high but if you were recording a loud snare drum you'd need it set quite low.

Once you have a healthy signal then you use the level knob to decide how loud you have it in the mix Vs the backing music for example.

• Members
I was unable to upload the video file to drop box in the library today as it would not upload. So instead I have recorded the mp3/4 that is being played with no use of microphone plug

So I have gone from mp3/4 play with the volume set to max- to mixer with volume set to zero via the ports as recently described above- then into audio interface- then into laptop and recorded via "voice recorder" program

Hear is a link to the original mp3 file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxlw8mofd63mqik/Robbie_Williams_Candy%28Instrumental_Version_%28With_backing_vocals%29%29_151648%20%281%29.mp3?dl=0

And this is 10 seconds worth of recording via the above

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcw75c3f1p5ewii/test%20audio.m4a?dl=0

The recording is all distorted, it's actually quite a bit louder than the original. I think you need to turn down the output volume on your MP3 a bit..things rarely work best at full volume.

Also I don't know if the voice recorder App will record at full quality ? If it's designed for speech it may well run at a lower quality bit rate and not up to CD quality ( 44.1k 16bit )

Archived