Singing softly -- not so easy...

kickingtone

• Members

I've been practising with this ten second clip stuff for years, and what I am finding is that the softer, nuanced singing is easily the most difficult.

Getting some of them to sound the way I want is more of a challenge. One of my old favourites is now getting there. The problem I found was in trying to match the dynamic, while keeping the laid back, gentle mood of reminiscence. No belting in this song! With belting you just let it go, you don't have to strike a balance, as you sometimes do with more nuanced technique.

The basic advice I was getting was essentially to rockify my voice. But that ain't me, ain't my voice type, and it ain't gonna happen. Anyway, it is now more or less how I want it to sound.

ALERT! THERE WILL BE TROLLS ON THIS THREAD. IGNORE THEM AND STAY POSITIVE. :thu:

• Members
Hay CD did you know our friend SLM km1, is a big star over on the homerecording forum, infact he is the best singer they have (no sereusly) and he has even bosted about singing bohemian rhapsody! looking forward to hearing that one SLM

No I didn't know , I don't really read the homerecording forum very often. Bohemian Rhapsody huh ? I'd like to hear him condense that into a 10 second clip :lol:

To be fair this new one is 30 seconds long...and t's actually the best one so far that I can recall.

I think he has it wrong in his mind though....this isn't singing softly ....it's just normal singing and whatever he was doing before was too pushed / forced / squeezed. I think it suits his voice..much more than some of the other ones which are awful ( e.i Rio )

For once he sounds like he's singing the words with some meaning as well as being on pitch, probably because he's not all tense and constricted..it just comes out normal. Similar to how your SLM song just sounded more 'normal' when you were goofing around..and when you 'try' too much it isn't as good. There's probably a lesson in all this somewhere.

• Members
CD

he is not singing softly so as not to disturbed the neighbours but more in the mode of the original song.

Exactly ..his mind says softly...actually comes out as normal...in lesser skilled singers what we think and what comes out are often not the same thing...this is why it's so hard to learn

once again he has demonstrated that he dose not know what he is talking about (as he relies on smipits of information from all different sources which 9 times out of 10 are incorrect (youtube vocal coaches claiming to be teachers that have had no formal training them selfs rekindle any memories).

I don't think it's necessarily that 9 out of 10 of the snippets are wrong..there are some good resources out there but if they are taken out of context they can lead you down the garden path. Look it this way....

'Natural' singers were able somehow to teach themselves just by listening and copying either singers around them ( i.e.family, school, church, choir, radio etc )...probably at a young age

'Non Singers' were not able to do that for whatever reason...so why would copying these techniques on Youtube as an adult be any more successful?

But you are right about SLM's attitude...self righteous and sanctimonious ( probably deeply religous )

Archived