Hello! Please give me feedback and advice!

MrClumzy

• Members

Hello there!

It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. It's been a couple of years, so I hope I improved a bit. Just recorded a little something just for fun, and wanted to see if I could get some feedback on it! Wondering what you guys think of my voice, as well as what I could do to improve. Recorded this pretty late at night, so held back a little so I didn't wake up the neighbors haha. Ignore the strange ending. :p

https://soundcloud.com/user-279968706/mmmm2/s-xMsSV

Thank you!

• Members

Very hard to judge..your guitar sounds out of tune and louder than your voice and masking it in places

Some parts sound like they could be quite nice then other parts sound off key so it's a bit of a mixed bag but I can't really hear it well enough to be definite

What to improve..tune the guitar...have your mouth closer to the mic so we can hear it above the guitar more clearly

• Members
Very hard to judge..your guitar sounds out of tune and louder than your voice and masking it in places

Some parts sound like they could be quite nice then other parts sound off key so it's a bit of a mixed bag but I can't really hear it well enough to be definite

What to improve..tune the guitar...have your mouth closer to the mic so we can hear it above the guitar more clearly

Thanks for the advice, I'll tune it up and record something later. From what you heard so far, is my voice itself bearable?

• Members
Sounds good. Definitely potential. Who are your vocal influences?

Hey Davie, I was hoping you would reply! You really helped me out a lot in the past. The artists who inspire me are Daniel Caesar, Bruno Major, and Jeremy Passion. What do you think I could do to improve?

• Moderators

Hey Davie, I was hoping you would reply! You really helped me out a lot in the past. The artists who inspire me are Daniel Caesar, Bruno Major, and Jeremy Passion. What do you think I could do to improve?

Interesting, I'm not familiar with those artists. Your vocals somewhat remind me of Sam Smith in some spots.

I think it sounds pretty good right now. Maybe the parts where it reaches higher ("coffee, morning") could use a more crisp attack and smoother legato line. And maybe diction could be a tad clearer.

Are you currently using any vocal method or program?

• Members

Interesting, I'm not familiar with those artists. Your vocals somewhat remind me of Sam Smith in some spots.

I think it sounds pretty good right now. Maybe the parts where it reaches higher ("coffee, morning") could use a more crisp attack and smoother legato line. And maybe diction could be a tad clearer.

Are you currently using any vocal method or program?

Thank you so much! Now that you mention it, a major influence to me is John Legend and they have a similar singing style. I don't use any singing programs, just some vocals scales in my car on my way to work sometimes haha. Anything you would recommend?

• Moderators

Thank you so much! Now that you mention it, a major influence to me is John Legend and they have a similar singing style. I don't use any singing programs, just some vocals scales in my car on my way to work sometimes haha. Anything you would recommend?

The main method I recommend is the Swedish-Italian Method, which is what I've used to train my voice over the years. It's probably the healthiest method of singing you can find. Feel free to message me if you're interested in it.

• Members

The main method I recommend is the Swedish-Italian Method, which is what I've used to train my voice over the years. It's probably the healthiest method of singing you can find. Feel free to message me if you're interested in it.

Will do, that definitely sounds interesting!

• Members

^

Not my preferred genre, so difficult to comment on style.

Pitch and projection, good, imo.

Listen very carefully between phrases. Hearing the inhale is fine, but the sound of your mouth opening (or a lip smack sound) is very intrusive. I would aim to eliminate it. Subconsciously, it can become a timing habit, as you use it as a timing click to cue you into the next phrase. So, it may not be as easy to remove as you think. It may leave you with an uneasy sense that something is missing (if so, it is likely to be that timing device!), which can then lead to hesitation and other problems. So, at least you will know where to look if eliminating the sound feels strange at first.

• Members

Sounds like you have a nice voice in there that will get better with work obviously.

KT must be listening on headphones as no lip smack was apparent on normal studio monitors at sensible volume so I wouldn't pay much attention. You can always edit them out in a DAW, most singers make odd little noises..some are worth keeping ..I recorded a drummer once who made really strange groaning type noises a bit like animal out the Muppets. We just kept it in..if you listen out for it you know it's there but nobody else noticed.

• Members

Hey Kickingtone and Cosmic Dolphin, thank you for your feedback! I'll try to reduce and listen for any strange noises I make in the future haha. I really don't know much about the digital side of recording music such as editing or enhancements. If you guys have any tips and pointers for me I would love to hear them!

• 3 months later...

Archived