Singing Lessons - Progress Comparison

• Members
Question; if you have no intention of covering/ gigging other people songs and your sol purpose is to write you own half voice songs (not like SLM mk1 sining in half a voice so as not to disturb the neighbors LOL' date=' but only by the bottom half of the notes). Why are you doing this?[/quote']

1. They're practice songs, it would be a bit weird to only ever sing my own stuff.

2. People don't know my songs so it's hard for others to judge as there isn't any reference for comparison

3. It's a good song...a 'standard' as they call it

4. I like singing other people's songs I just don't want to do it live in front of other people

5. My post was about using lessons to progress. I never hear many before / after singing lesson tracks singing the same thing several years apart

• Members

But you may as just practice on your own stuff and see if there is an improvment, are all your own songs just for TV and radio commersials?

That Yesterday song, I do recal hearing it in a lot lower key though

It's not that I don't practice my own songs but other people wouldn't know them so I don't really post them

I'd say the majority of the songs I've written are just for my own amusement / hobby and it's 90% instrumentals for TV stuff.

According to the Wikipedia ' Yesterday' has been covered around 2,200 times so you could probably find a version of it in loads of different keys. I did it in the original key.I think it goes up to an F4 from memory.

• Members
But that song i am still sure it is in a far lower key

No that's the original key asit was released in 1965 ...you can see a live version here from back then https://youtu.be/2uneYz201p0

and here in 2017 ...same key live

I suspect they lowered it for the Jimmy Fallon show so the host could sing along

infact the original lyrics of this song was called (not yesterday) "scrambled eggs". Wonder why they changed all the lyrics' date=' to help it sell better maybe; [/quote']

Lots of songwriters use 'dummy' lyrics when writing. Sometimes you have the melody all figured out but you can't find the right lyrics straight away, so you write down any old nonsense and come back to it later. It's well documented the Lennon came up with the line Yesterday.

Archived