Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new way to learn a song

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reality check Think I have just made a big one. But your wrong! If your teach is not discussing bridging the chest to head voice from lesson one then the chances are they will never do so. Only to stuff you with is no no no that comes after (specialized stuff), after what I have shafted you for a load of dollar and be coz the lessons where never going to get that far anyway. Because the student is not ready for it, yer yet yer what kind of banana boat did I sail upon

So tell me CD did your teachers ever mention at any period that there will be bridging and conecting? Before you left and moved onto the next parasite.

​​​​​​Hat har

At this point I am reminded to quote Felipe sales get out clows
    I teach the Italian style and some thing like where your chest voice will be your bread and butter, meaning no bridging tought hear

They are all the same, one BS school teacher to another. No good time to get out and face facts, I can never never never ever learn this!
    Last edited by New2; 06-19-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New2 View Post
      If your teach is not discussing bridging the chest to head voice from lesson one then the chances are they will never do so. Only to stuff you with is no no no that comes after (specialized stuff), after what I have shafted you for a load of dollar and be coz the lessons where never going to get that far anyway. Because the student is not ready for it, yer yet yer what kind of banana boat did I sail upon
      Why would they be discussing this in lesson one when there are so many other things that need to be taught first?

So tell me CD did your teachers ever mention at any period that there will be bridging and conecting? Before you left and moved onto the next parasite
      I've had two teachers, neither of them use the terms "bridging" or "connecting" ...one uses the terms chest voice, mixed voice and head voice and how to sing through the passagio and the other talks about using falsetto and when to transition.

Just because someone doesn't sing as high as you seem to want to doesn't mean they don't use those parts of their voice.

They are all the same, one BS school teacher to another. No good time to get out and face facts, I can never never never ever learn this!
      They can't all be no good. It's your approach to the whole thing that's wrong and until that changes I think you will struggle.

Comment

Arrogance in it's sillier form.

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeCarvalho View Post
          Arrogance in it's sillier form.
          Well we tried.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicDolphin View Post
            Oh dear.New2 I think you need to take a reality check.
            I just have and I have had a serius rethink and I do not think you will like what I am about to say to you but hear goes

Yes but I'm not a Tenor, and neither are you,
            and what am I then?
            I don't know because all we've heard is stuff you can't sing.
            And that just has completely changed my mind about you, no I am not interested in arguing the toss about learning the teckneeks needed to sing songs we can't sing but you said I am not a Tenor but then you said I don't know what you are, what you are doing hear CD is trying to belittle me over your own disabilities to sing higher notes then me and this is what it all boils down to. You said that in this song I can not manage to sing the higher notes so forget what you are doing and forget songs likes these (because its better then me!). Yer the jells little me point scoring contest that is the whole ideology of singing has come from off the television consensors (Simon cowl BS).

You see I have 2 working musicians/ teachers now tell me that I am perfectly capable of pulling these notes (C/D 5), so who am I going to listen to, jealous little you (and the twerps on the home recording forum) or real working musicians. So see what I learned from these 2 people in less then 5 minutes is far greater then I will ever learn trying to get free tips from websites And lets not forgert other snarky little comments from time to time too, like I think I am far more advanced when I started then you are now, what coz you can only sing a grade leval 5 song in chest voice, and you are a million miles away from your goal (yer yer yer you carry on with your own little ego egender BS), but who am I going to listen to now you or the above named 2 people.

I mean if I knew the songs where up to scratch then why would I bother posting them up for constructive criticism (this is not a congratulations contest), But I think you on the other hand have a different agender to that principal. That post you made about "are signing lessons worth it" and the song you posted for review was the first time I have heard you post a song for review, I and I think I said everything was in order apart from the high notes in the chorus and after I said that, ironic Felipe came on congratulating you saying it is now time to pressue a career in this, I mean WTF Felipe there is a big issue hear and you are saying this (I look forward to your response). I advised that you go away and practice exercises in the G4 area (like sirens and scales) and you told me you had done all this when infact you had not because later on you said (think it is somewhere in this thread) you had only done exercises upto C4. What did Felipe give you lessons as well? is that why he was unjustifiably congratulating you? because he only teaches chest voice notes you know. No no no instead of quietly going away and working through G4 exercises to make the song you did not get right, sound right! you decided to sing and upload another song that was all in your cheats voice so Felipe could again come and congratulate you and you can think to your self at the end of this 2 year period I have done it! well I hate to say it but you are only fooling your self silly little man, and now we will come onto discussion him next......

You see why I was calling him names is because he decided to drop me in the st and grass me up over at his little home recording forum (yer proper BS bed room singers dreaming about the TV) because It had nothing to do with his ideology what he got from the pratts forum of you dont need lessons because you iver got it or you ant (BS thing). But you on the other hand seamed to be in competition with him about who is the best singer (the jealous little st contest I mentioned above) and by your comments towards him you seam to see him as a threat. So you see by saying I have jacked it all in lets you think you have wone and beaten me on this forum you see, which is what you where all secretly trying to do to me anyway. So that is it CD you have beaten me at it, me gone now only SLM to go
            Last edited by New2; 07-10-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

You're right you won't ever learn to sing from reading tips on a forum. What you will get is feedback if you ask for it, how much weight you give that feedback from any given individual is up to you.

I am a very straight talking person New2, I just call it as I see it. Some people can't handle that ( I could give you a few stories from work ) Other people, the ones who are friends say they like me for exactly the same reason. Up to the individual. I have a mug on my desk that says " I may be wrong but being from Yorkshire I highly doubt it "...my wife bought me that because I think I'm always right. And I do to be fair and 99% of the time I think I am but that's just my opinion. So take all this however you want. Or don't.

Whilst singing is subjective there are certain non-negotiable skills needed that you clearly seem lack right now. I don't say that to be mean and even if I was the jealous type it wouldn't be from anything you've posted.

I only say it because...

1. You asked...and
              2. Your issues are blatantly obvious ( to me )

Frankly some of the stuff you have put out there is among the worst I have heard and I've heard a lot over the years. Intonation, timing, phrasing , pronunciation , distorted vowels. You have so many bad habits to unwind and work through and undo I'm glad I'm not a teacher because I wouldn't know where to begin. If you only want to listen to people who bloke smoke up your arse then fine. It's you voice...choose your own path.

I don't study grades and I don't measure which notes I can hit, all I care about is whether the songs I'm trying to sing sound any good or not and I have plenty of recordings to back up my progress. And I do try thing that are a semitone or 2..or 3 beyond me. Doesn't mean they will always be beyond me.

Range isn't the be all and end all of singing but clearly you have some strange obsession about singing high notes instead of learning to sing ALL notes correctly. That's your choice but if you then post up a clip that sounds terrible people are going to say so...or at least the ones who are being honest are. If you can't handle the feedback then don't post anything.

Actually I've posted several songs up for review : Do I Wanna Know - Artic Monkeys : Human - Killers : Mad World - and each time I've posted the full song from start to finish without any editing. With Human I also included a previous recording to show progress so I think I've been pretty transparent with what I have put out. And no they weren't all in my chest voice.

Want more proof ?....I haven't mentioned this before but If you want to hear what my voice sounded like in 2010 you can listen to some of my original songs here . These are all songs that I wrote and produced where people told me I shouldn't sing them myself and that I should find a better vocalist. Don't do your own singing they said. And yes the vocals are autotuned to crap on these and they still sound out of tune.

https://www.reverbnation.com/cosmicdolphins

Want more proof ?....I could show you the crowd reviews of : Destiny / Beautiful / Come On Come On / Bleed For Me...they are not always complimentary believe me ..putting a cover song on a little forum like this is nothing to putting your original work out to paid reviewers.

Want even more proof ?...I can send you a recordings of my subsequent lessons ( and no I've never had any lessons with Felipe BTW..both my singing teachers are local and female ) where I decided after reading all those reviews and people around me telling me that I can't sing or I should find another singer to get a teacher and struggling through them whilst she is trying to help me improve my voice and undoing all the horrible habits.

I'm not in competition with anyone except myself New2. To do the best I can each day, but there comes a point where you have to accept the reality of what all naysayers are saying. I don't think you have reached that point yet. I reached it in 2015. If you prefer to think it's all just some big conspiracy theory then fine.

People listening to your singing aren't just saying negative things to be cruel....they say it for a reason. Even the most unmusical 'punter' can spot a dodgy vocal a mile off. Many are too polite to be brutally honest. I'm not like that.

Like it or lump it.

Comment

Frankly some of the stuff you have put out there is among the worst I have heard and I've heard a lot over the years. Intonation, timing, phrasing , pronunciation , distorted vowels. You have so many bad habits to unwind and work through and undo I'm glad I'm not a teacher because I wouldn't know where to begin. If you only want to listen to people who bloke smoke up your arse then fine. It's you voice...choose your own path.
                You have everything there that you have never mentioned before; but you are missing 2 vital things pitch and fasseto, or are you just spouting what ever s@@t comes out of your mouth

Range isn't the be all and end all of singing but clearly you have some strange obsession about singing high notes instead of learning to sing ALL notes correctly. That's your choice but if you then post up a clip that sounds terrible people are going to say so...or at least the ones who are being honest are. If you can't handle the feedback then don't post anything.
                If you want to be known as some pub scrooning Bass/ Baritone then good on you! but dont expect everyone ell to follow in your foot steps who are prepered to put the time and effort into doing a lot more.

Anyway lets just say the feedback I have had from teacher is very different from your or any one on this forum or any forum for that matter. Lets just say most of your feedback has been unconstructive, and what has been constructive most of that for that matter has been incorrect, even half of Felipe's constructive critisum has too been incorrect.

"But your not a Tenor"
                "What am I then"
                "I dont know what you are because we have not heard one decent song from you"
                Yes yer pub scrooning Bass/ Baritone to be (in weighting) Thats real constructive critisum

Now I know I should not be doing this as I have packed it all in now so you can win and I know by doing this I am only playing into your dragons den but......

https://soundcloud.com/user-82691740...slm-dark-voice

https://soundcloud.com/user-82691740...lm-light-voice

Comment

you are missing 2 vital things pitch and fasseto, or are you just spouting what ever s@@t comes out of your mouth
                  Intonation = pitch

If you want to be known as some pub scrooning Bass/ Baritone then good on you! but dont expect everyone ell to follow in your foot steps who are prepered to put the time and effort into doing a lot more
                  I have no desire to sing in front of anyone, I'm only learning so I can lay down better vocals when I write a song. I've plenty of instrumental music in Libraries and getting placements on TV but the handful of songs I've written purely for licensing have been sung by other people. If I can get good enough I could do it all myself instead of paying a singer or sharing the royalties.

Funnily enough , none of the briefs for these songs specify they must go above G4 ! Believe me I have put the time and effort in, it's just I've done it from the ground up.

Anyway lets just say the feedback I have had from teacher is very different from your or any one on this forum or any forum for that matter.
                  Well I would hope so if they are a professional teacher and they have heard you for more than a few seconds at a time

Lets just say most of your feedback has been unconstructive,
                  Yes I get that a lot ..people don't like straight talkers..I would never be a good teacher, everyone would cry

Now I know I should not be doing this as I have packed it all in now so you can win and I know by doing this I am only playing into your dragons den but......

https://soundcloud.com/user-82691740...slm-dark-voice

https://soundcloud.com/user-82691740...lm-light-voice
                  Well at least it's 44 seconds long.

Sounds like it's been heavily compressed or limited so the volume is more even but to me it still sounds very pitchy and you're slurring all the words like as if you were drunk.

In fact I sent it to one of my mates to see if I was being overly harsh. I didn't say anything except " Do you have any feedback about this singing ? "..( he himself is not a singer BTW but a gigging guitarist who is playing in various bands several nights a week in clubs etc. )

His Repy was :-

"If ever mankind needed a good enough reason to ban alcohol....It is you...isn't it? Admit it! "

So it's not just me, others can hear it as well. Can you hear it ? Because that's the most important thing.

And yet...if I scroll down to another track and listen to the " Buh buh buh " exercise on Rolling In the Deep your pitch is much more accurate and the timing is better than when you sing it in one of the other clips. Which is what this thread was about in the first place.

So when you add the words it's obviously affecting something. You have a really thick accent when you sing. You sound like you come from the deep South of the USA for some reason.

Maybe you should go back to that exercise for this song and see how it works out.
                  Last edited by CosmicDolphin; 07-15-2018, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Food for thought:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...23855220000056

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeCarvalho View Post
                      Remind me of the journey towards competence ....

.1. Unconsciously incompetent ...You don't know what you don't know

2. Consciously incompetent.. You know what you don't know but you don't get it right

3. Consciously competent...You start getting it right by practicing techniques and making a conscious effort

4. Unconsciously competent..You get it right automatically without having to think..it's just 2nd nature

I think most of us have been through this i.e. when learning to drive. The amount of brainpower it took to do everything right when having those early lessons Vs 20 yrs driving experience.

With singing I feel I am somewhere between 2 & 3 depending what it is I am trying to sing..maybe sometimes touching on a 4 if it's a song I know really well and is easier for me.

It's a long hard road for sure. Seems a bit unfair that some people just " get it " without even trying

Comment

Yep. Main difference with singing is that if you don't drive well, or likewise you are bad on tennis, or, say you try to fight MMA without knowing what you are doing, the consequences are quite real/physical.

It's too hard to find some justification or explanation after hitting a standing vehicle, losing constantly without being able to even serve the ball or always getting beaten in a couple of seconds. Skill assessment is thrown in your face, whether you want it or not.

On singing it's always possible to blame the listener for not hearing right, "you don't like my singing because you are biased/deaf/evil".

What is curious here is that this guy got to a point where he seems really convinced that I am trying to harm him because I declined to work in his terms. That's some serious mental gymnastics.

Comment

CD. You are wrong regarding the critisum of the song Jeremy because it is very differnent from what the teachers are telling me (think I stated this before)

Felipe you are wrong too! I hold no bitter grudge or anything against you because you declined my offer, you are perfetly in your rights to except or decline any job, Felipe you have done me no harm what so ever and I have no reason to hate or hold a grudge against you for that matter! I was just making the point as to why I think you made a bad and illogical decision, but I will not go on about it any more

Anyway lets change the subject. I am writting a new song so what do you think of it so far?

https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/slm

https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/slm-take-2
                          Last edited by New2; 07-18-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

CD. You are wrong regarding the critisum of the song Jeremy because it is very differnent from what the teachers are telling me (think I stated this before)
                            Not wrong..it's just my opinion....If your teachers think different then great..they are probably much more supportive / encouraging people because they teach. Maybe from their experience they hear some potential that I don't ? I still stand by what I said IMHO

Comment

I think it's a hit. Joking aside your voice actually sounds a lot more normal on this compared to everything else you have posted.

The section on the first one from 8 seconds to around 15 seconds is the best I've heard you sing - honestly..no weird accent, no major pitching problems, vocal chords sound connected, it's got that speak - sing quality that really helps in certain types of songs.

Maybe this is what you sing like in front of the teachers.

Comment

HAR HAR!!! you are only saying that coz it is taking the piss out of SLM, if I sang it about you then you would probaly think other wise

Comment

Working...
                                X