10 Second A Cappella Clips. Why do them?

kickingtone

• Members

Why do them?

It's a way of practising. My way.

1. It's A Cappella. Nobody is going to listen to three minutes of you practising raw vocals (except your mum). 10 seconds is much more reasonable, where possible.

2. It's A Cappella. No gimmicks. Nowhere to hide behind background instrumentation.

3. If you post a 3 minute clip, don't then complain that feedback is too general. The longer the clip, the less likely folk are to trawl through and be specific.

4. Time repeating whole songs, 80 per cent of which you can do in your sleep, is better spent on the difficult 20 per cent of 5 songs. Work smart before you work hard.

5. You can ask other members to sing the same short clip without possibly giving them a whole damn song to learn. This opens the door to proper and better discussion and debate.

6. The 10 Second clip is much easier for you to store, organize and review, especially months later. The clip goes straight to what you were focusing on, and you can track progress and repeat.

Finally.... ....the obligatory 10 second clip.

I half know what I have been finding difficult about this. I think that I have figured it out, but time will tell as I repeat the (well-defined, well-organized) exercise over the coming weeks and months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

No trolling.

Thank you.

Finally.... ....the obligatory 10 second clip.

I half know what I have been finding difficult about this. I think that I have figured it out, but time will tell as I repeat the (well-defined, well-organized) exercise over the coming weeks and months.

OK, so the difficulty I was having was on the word "band". After some analysis I discovered that it is because it has more than one singing vowel, even though it seems to have only one spoken vowel. You have to be aware that you are switching back and forth between two slightly different vowels.

So, I practised with something easier, to focus on this.

I am now a lot more consistent singing the original clip, which is what I was aiming for.:music021:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived