Cover - Do I Wanna Know pls Critique

• Members
Question. there is a second voice in there and at times of the song it overlaps the main voice. Is this a recording of your self mixed into it or did it come all ready part of the backing track?

No all the backing vocals are part of the karaoke track, only the lead is me

• Members

I dig it, on some parts its just nailed. Some phrases on the verse sound really good like the one at 00:37. Some things could use a bit more of attention, in special the pre chorus and the chorus.

When you get into the pre-chorus you kinda swapped the phrasing style, singing the first two phrases in a bit more rhythmic way and the final one in with legato. I would swap that, I think it would sound perfect. For example listen how he sings "If this feeling flows both ways", its almost as if all consonants in there became voiced, the F almost becomes a V and the sound from start to finish is pretty much the same.

The chorus I understand you went stronger trying to keep the laid back feel, but in special the way you are concluding some notes there (letting them kinda fall down) bring the energy a bit down and breaks the legato and the match with the guitar melody and backing vocals.

Through the whole song, notice that this melody is built to be *tense* (and its quite cool due to that), the movements are small, there isn´t a lot of release through the song, so take care when moving from note to note because some slides may cause more movement than you intended and it can end up breaking the feel (and it will not necessarily be pitchy, it will still be within the key).

It sounds fine as it is, but I think with some attention in these aspects it would sound really great.

• Members
I dig it, on some parts its just nailed. Some phrases on the verse sound really good like the one at 00:37. Some things could use a bit more of attention, in special the pre chorus and the chorus..

Thanks Felipe

Yeah the devil is on the detail on this one. Thanks for the notes, that's helpful. This is the first song I've studied on my own for a long time without a singing teacher so I'm pleased I was able to interpret a good chunk of it.

I may have another shot at dropping in those other parts again

• Members
You see the problem hear is the lead voice is all the low notes and the backing voice is the high notes and we need to see your ability to be able to sing them hear

To be fair, if you listen to the original the lead vocal is quite buried beneath those backing vocals

Archived