what amp are used for vocals?

samal50

• Members

is it a PA or powered speaker? are both the same? I guess one type of speaker are called unpowered? Give me an example of what amp can be used for vocals. This is going to be for practice, rehearsal, and live situations as well.

I'm assuming for practice and rehearsals is more likely what I'd be needing it for since most venues should probably have their own PA system for vocals.

Anyone ever used this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/FreePlay-Personal-PA-System.gc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I would recommend a powered speaker. It's more convenient. There are also unpowered speakers they're called passive speakers, they need to be amplified using other equipment. Either way, I think most music venues should already have a PA system.

• Members
is it a PA or powered speaker? are both the same? I guess one type of speaker are called unpowered? Give me an example of what amp can be used for vocals. This is going to be for practice, rehearsal, and live situations as well.

I'm assuming for practice and rehearsals is more likely what I'd be needing it for since most venues should probably have their own PA system for vocals.

Anyone ever used this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/FreePlay-Personal-PA-System.gc

What you listed may be good enough for singing along to your Hi Fi or karaoke in a living room but that's about it.

What you need for a rehearsal is going to depend on what kind of band you're playing with, how many other singers there will be and what you can afford to pay for the system. If the players use small guitar amps under 15W and the drummer doesn't whack the hell out of the drums you may get by using a small system like this. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/M120-120-Watt-4-Channel-Compact-Portable-PA-with-12-Speakers-1393256932474.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickEV#productDetail

If you play with louder bands then you'd have to choose between an active or passive system. There are three main types. You can have a powered mixer which contains the mixer and power head in one unit and they connect to passive speakers. These kinds of systems can range up to around 1000W for gigging and can be very road worthy, convenient and affordable. Many working bands use these kinds of systems and you can find good deals on used gear too.

The second tier would be to have a separate, mixer and power amps to drive the speakers. What this allows is multiple power heads to drive multiple cabs and you can run a snake to a sound man out in front of the band doing the sound. Many house systems are set up this way and it has the advantage of being modular so if something goes bad with the mixer your power heads are affected.

The third setup are newer but very convenient too. Instead of having the power head in the mixer, or having it separate, they mount the power head inside the speaker cabs. Then all you need is a mixer to run them. The convenience is about the same as having a powered mixer. Given the same wattage they can sound very good because the shorter cables to the speakers the less fidelity is lost. The cabs are of course heavier and if a power head blows, good lick on finding a replacement. The speaker is useless without a power amp too so even a backup head does you no good without a major rewiring. Luckily these kinds of systems have gotten to be very reliable but they aren't cheap.

They do make some all on one units like this which might be handy for a beginner. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-pa50-personal-pa-system/h74861000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpDA3pva2QIVjbbACh0gMwPdEAYYASABEgJ09PD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295833-device^c-plaid^335491604793-sku^H74861000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I'm thinking about getting a pair of them for when I get together with a few friends of mine. We do a little trio thing using electric drums and its too much of a hassle cracking out a big PA system and setting it up. With these you simply plug it in and plug your mics in and go. They are only 50W but because they are connectable you can add units for more power. Price is good an the units are small enough to throw in the trunk and travel.

• Members

I use a passive mixer into a pair of powered speakers. I was using a Yamaha MGP16X, but recently replaced it with a Behringer X-Air X18 digital mixer. My speakers are QSC K10's. I find that the only thing this system is lacking are monitors, and I'm still on the fence as to which way to go there. I want something small and light. I find that this setup is perfect for any stage where we have to supply the PA. A venue large enough to need a bigger system usually has their own.

For rehearsal, we usually do that at pretty low volume and I can get by with a little Fishman Loudbox Mini, or nothing at all.

Archived