Stop judging yourself (and others!)

PipeDreamTenor

• Members

In a world of youtube singers, X Factor, the Voice, and intense competition, it can really take its toll on our mental health. We often judge ourselves too harshly and feel intimidated by others (who probably feel just as intimidated by us!) How can we create a culture of support and love for our fellow singers? Here is a lovely article continuing this discussion: https://singsician.com/singing-culture-judgement/

• Members

Obviously it's not as simple as bad singing hippies will live longer. Still, there really aren't many bad singing hippie stars - and I think "star" is the operative function of many singers' craft. With this in mind, while the hangups prevent most from the limelight, this is a good thing.

• Moderators

I'm actually not a big fan of singing competitions like Idol, etc. Shows like that have tendency to promote "voice shaming". It also seems to instill too much eagerness in people to impress others. I think everyone should just try to own what they have and never look back. Too much negativity and criticism can be counterproductive to the development as both a singer and artist. It's true that these programs created more exposure towards singing to audiences, but at same time it lacks something organic, imo.

• Members

Show like that are complete BS. No that's not fair! Shows like that are a complete deliberated miss-conception to delude the public away from the true reality and nut and bolts of singing, c@@ts like Simon Cowl where chosen by our masters to brain wash us with what and how they want us to think of it not how it actually is (Jeremy Karl is another)

This kind of pretence is not a real compensation on who is the best! It is who they would like to think would promote there ideologies best. For real competitions look at things like auditions for orera houses and stuff (some times even they are rigged for corruption)

The public doesn't need to know good singing. Shows like that serve as marketing research and advertising. People are shown what to buy, sellers are shown what to sell. Do you imagine the music industry to be anything more?

• Members

So why do they keep promoting the ideology of "you iver got it or you ant got the tallant". When infact anyone can learn given the time and effort?

If the shows are using those views, it's just buzz hype. Buzz is just rhythm so supply side can keep talking and stay in control of the spiel. I do though think there is definitely a talent component involved with excellence. Could be just an aptitude thing whereby if you learn quicker, you learn more in the allotted time but there's those intangibles of personality/soul/destiny/blah blah that shape all the factors into the hot (or not) package. This stuff is intuitive and probably a lot magic and no amount of hard work will get you on that list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So why do they keep promoting the ideology of "you iver got it or you ant got the tallant". When infact anyone can learn given the time and effort?

I would not go as far as saying its a ideology, singing is kinda like illusionism. Most people are rational enough to understand there is no magic, but being fooled is part of the experience. They want something special, something unexpected, something that defies the common sense.

So they would never dispell the magic live on the program. haha these shows have non-disclosure contracts with the production staff, specially the voice coaches that are actually preparing the performances.

More important than that, it's a real concern for us all. In my experience even music professionals have such expectations and often your stance in this particular point can change their perception of you and your singing completely, changing the outcome of an audition.

We all judge, even if it's just a "I like this singer / I don't care for that singer as much" sort of thing. I think that's natural... but when self-judgement prevents or inhibits you from working on your own voice, or enjoying the ability to be musically expressive and simply enjoying the music-making process, then it's going too far IMO.

The same is true for criticism of others - it's fine to have an opinion, or to make suggestions about how they might improve (when requested), but totally trashing another person isn't at all constructive. Nothing good or positive comes out of that kind of judgment.

Archived