Ha!ha! This is fun..singing harmony over your own vocals

kickingtone

• Members

I recall trying something like this a couple of years ago and it was a mess. I couldn't get the voices to sound separate enough to go in and out of blend.

Just messing about and tried the same thing again today, and this is a lot better...

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/btrob023fehp

It's a first take, so the timing wasn't brilliant, but I think that I have developed enough register dynamic to go in and out of blend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
that is painful to listen to. it sounds really bad. not trying to be a dick but that is physically painful to listen to because it is so out of tune

It is physically painful for YOU to listen to. So what? For some people it is, for some people it is not.

Probably what you mean is that you don't think it is in HARMONY. Now that would be a good point.

It definitely is not in harmony according to Western standards, and it is almost definitely not in harmony according to any other standard. All it is is random parallel unison. The aim of the exercise in this thread was just to test bandwidth -- being able to hear yourself over yourself at different random keys.

All that is happening is that your ears are less tolerant to anything that is not standard Western harmony. My ears are REALLY tolerant to all kinds of arrangement, because I listen to so much "world music" -- more than Western. So, for me, this one doesn't sound particularly good or bad. I've posted it on other forums. I only got your reaction on "Western forums". The only one of the three clips that harmonizes properly according to Western rules is the second clip. (That is because I happened to know actual different parts from the original.)

Of course, I want to learn Western harmony and how it works. I've been given some great starting points (on another forum) -- a video on why it is not a good idea to harmonize in parallel (according to Western rules), and even a working arrangement which I'll have to come back to, as I know sh1t all about theory of harmony.

• Members
WTF I have just listened to it myself and honestly kickingtone I though you could of done better then this and this must be about 5 notes to low

let me demonstrate https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j7bprsu9w...stuff.m4a?dl=0

Ha ha! You know what? You were the one I was going to ask to try out the same thing, because I knew you'd do it for a laugh.

Then I clicked on the thread, and waddyerknow?

But, naaah, man. Goofing around like that is a cop out. :D

It's like you found it harder than you thought, and wimped out. :D

DO IT!

Sing any piece of melody so that we can hear FOUR voices SIMULTANEOUSLY.

DO IT PROPERLY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR VOICES! :cool:

Forget harmony, just sing parallel and get four distinct voices out there without sounding like a general roar from a football pitch..

• Members

no no no Cosmic D. the talent is the sheer dam hard work! but he is not prepared to train hard with a teacher so that is that

But he has one up on me. at least people are reviewing his singing and not mine

...ahem...

That's probably because all the sheer dam hard work you've put in doesn't require any review any more.

• Members

All that is happening is that your ears are less tolerant to anything that is not standard Western harmony. My ears are REALLY tolerant to all kinds of arrangement, because I listen to so much "world music" -- more than Western.

Yet the only things you post are Western Songs.... and you even managed to get the lyrics wrong.

Archived