singing question

iamanders

• Members

I was listening to Leonard Bernstein talking about children and pentatonics. Children are supposed to tease eachothers with sol-mi-sol-mi-la. Of course, using pure intervals and not piano intervals. I also read somewherw that saying "thank you" could be sol-mi. Sadly, we grow up and loose our abilities to sing those pure intervals. My teasing nowadays does not really sound pure like those kids were supposed to sound. Interesting information indeed but how do we make this into something practical and musical?

• Members
I was listening to Leonard Bernstein talking about children and pentatonics. Children are supposed to tease eachothers with sol-mi-sol-mi-la. Of course' date=' using pure intervals and not piano intervals. I also read somewherw that saying "thank you" could be sol-mi. Sadly, we grow up and loose our abilities to sing those pure intervals. My teasing nowadays does not really sound pure like those kids were supposed to sound. Interesting information indeed but how do we make this into something practical and musical?[/quote']

People lose the ability because they listen to one standard of music. People train themselves to accept only standard equitempered scales. They are taught that everything else is wrong or "pitchy". And they use auto tuning software to "correct" to the standard scale, which is not necessarily "correct" in a natural sense. Consequently, their musicality narrows.

This is why I don't like drills for practising hearing intervals.

• Members

You can see here how technical various intonation choices can get, and how pitch is not something rigidly pinned to frequency or equi-tempered scale.

In the video, he talks of the same note having different frequencies in different contexts in an accompaniment. It is deliberate.

So, it would be very naive to stuff something into Melodyne and lose sight of feel and musicality, while focusing on frequency.

[video=youtube;QaYOwIIvgHg]

Archived