New member + Cover making doubts

• Members

Hello everyone!

This is my first post so first of all I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Carlos, I have 22 years old and I'm from Spain. It's been 5 months since I started taking singing lessons and now I feel ready to make my covers and show the world what I can do. The thing is that I don't f*cking know how to start xD. These are two of my major worries:

- Which is the best microphone for recording my voice? It wouldn't sing in a studio, but in my room. Should I buy a specific type depending on my type of voice, register, etc? You can tell me your experience with specific models you bought for yourselves :)

- Any recommendation for video and especially audio editing? Some people told me Cubase is pretty good and simple for beginners. I already have FL Studio but I still gotta master how to use it. For me it's very important that the program has good tools but above that I prefer it's a free software.

I would be sooooo grateful if you could guide me through those two issues but I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice or whatever you gotta say. Thanks in advance and happy day!

Carlos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey Carlos

Mic's can be very dependant on your voice, different ones suit different singers but there are plenty of good ones these days to suit all budgets and I would look for a Large Diagphram Condensor from one of the popular manufacturers as a starting point.

First question would be do you have a soundcard that can provide phantom power to the mic via an XLR jack ? Unless you have bought one designed with musicians in mind then probably not. Depending on your budget It may be more cost effective to get something that can go straight in via USB.

Article linked below is a bit long in the tooth now and many more options may have come to market but it's still worth a read:-

As for software, the best DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation ) for the money is Reaper..you can try it for free for a while and the licence is really cheap for students. But it competes with the best programs out there.

Hope that helps

Archived