I'm "musically trained" yet still cannot seem to have a nice voice

• Members

Okay for years and years on end I've been working on my voice with teachers, coaches, ect ect. And I seem to be doing okay. I guess. I can sing up and down the scale, I can harmonize quite nicely, I can stay on key and in tune but for some reason my voice is compete and utter crap. When I sing songs that I like in the car or in my room and then decide to hear how I sound (by recording it) I sound TERRIBLE. I have NO IDEA what it is. I would ask my teachers but I would be so embarrassed you know so here's the internet. I'll attach a couple of recordings of me simply singing a couple songs from different genres just to show that its just not one type of song or genre. At this point I'm thinking maybe it's just me but multiple people don't really think I'm that good at singing at all so please help I have no idea and I want to fix it like rn. (I'm also a middle school girl but I'm almost certain it's not just "puberty" because I'm a little early on that) So Yeh Plz Help.

• Members

Listen extremely carefully to your favourite singers and decide exactly what it is you like about their voice and their singing. You should be able to describe it in words. Pick one simple thing about a voice and discuss with your coach or teacher how to improve that aspect of your singing. You may have one of those, "don't worry about that" kind of coache, or you may have a coach who takes the opportunity to work with you, so be prepared for either. But there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

From your clip, it sounds as if your coach has encouraged you to use your whole voice. If you keep practising that, your voice will automatically come into its own.

And don't worry, you haven't even lived for "years and years on end", talk less of trained :-) Plenty of time ahead of you.

• Members

Knowing how to sing technically and having it sound good when you sing are not always a match.

I grew up with Family members who had downright awesome voices. My oldest sister used to get all the leading roles in Musical Plays on stage and bring standing ovations.

Me, I was an awful sounding singer for decades but I never gave up. I accepted the fact there were better singers and worse singers then myself and I'd simply do the best with what I had. I guess I must have learned enough tracks after 50 years of singing because I've been able to carry entire shows and please allot of people in that time.

I can say its probably been the last 20 years where my voice has taken on a richer tone. I don't know if its my age, my weight or experience, maybe all combined, but I can do things now I simply couldn't do before, especially my vibratos and targeting of notes has gotten much better.

Its kind of funny too. I've been recording just about as long as I been a musician since the mid 60's. I'd record my voice and thought I did a fantastic job and it wound up sounding midrangy and nasily as all get out. I could copy the singing of certain artists like Joe Walsh Really well but other stuff it simply didn't come close.

I think the biggest thing that helped was I quit trying to sing like other singers. I'd borrow techniques from others but I didn't try to do impressions of them like I had done many years ago. Guess I found my own unique notch and its been clicking for me ever since. I can nail many of my favorite artists now effortlessly. To bad that didn't come to me when I was younger but late in life is better then never.

• Members

I've found that 'local' teachers are okay - some better than others - at getting me up to singing 'okay' but taking a few skype lessons with one of the instructors at New York Vocal Coaching was eye opening. Still not 'great' voice but wow did I learn a lot in a short time and worked through lots of issues with my voice. There's also a few online instructors you could check out like Ken Tamplin, Brett Manning, Roger Love, Felcia Ricci, they all seem to go for that 'special' tone rather than just getting you singing well.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm maybe out of line trying to give advice on this but here goes. I learned recently that having a karaoke with an adjustable key really helped.

First lesson for me was to listen intently again and again to the songs I liked even if I know I used to sing them before. Next is I try and find the right pitch for me where I could reach all keys without effort.Then I try to find the right background that seems to jibe with the way I phrase my lyrics.

Then I practice then I practice and practice. It helps to record and listen to yourself again and again. It also helps if you have someone musical who can critique it on the spot before you acquire some bad habits. I find someone who plays an instrument by ear is a good critique with regards to singing.Anyway this is in no way a professional advise just my own experience.

Archived