So I tried whisper singing..

GalacticMind

• Members

Your vocals sit well in the mix, even though whisper singing is primarily for practice purposes or occasional effect.

You mentioned the two main things, agility (ease of bridging, etc.) vs running out of breath. (I can hear you taking those gulps! :-))

Practise trying not to run out of breath. That is the crucial exercise. The only way is to focus on the diaphragm and abs. This is because vocal cord closure while whispering is too light to effectively equalize the pressure. You are forced to train your diaphragm and abs to do the job accurately.

Once you manage to isolate and strenghten those abdominal muscles, you can add the cord closure back in and choose when you want whisper/modal/belt or whatever else. Your larynx should remain freer once your abs are trained up, and the ease of bridging should persist. That's my theory. :-)

You can also practise a slow whisper siren. It is crucial that the whisper siren is slow. The objective is to cover as much range as possible for as long as possible, while being as whispery as possible, without running out of breath. Whisper from beginning to end, and let any resonance "happen" (It will drown out the whisper as you ascend in pitch.)

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/sirenslowwhisper

I need to practise making it smoother.

NEVER WHISPER SING UNTIL YOUR THROAT IS DRY OR TICKLY. IF YOUR THROAT DRIES EASILY, SCALE YOUR PRACTICE RIGHT BACK. SOME PEOPLE CLAIM TO HAVE DAMAGED THEIR VOICE BY SINGING WITH A DRY THROAT.

Archived