music to listen to, to improve my singing.

pirata

• Members

I know my title doesn't look right.

I noticed when I played guitar that as soon as I started listening to more jazz, Paul Gilbert, Vai, the greats etc. that my playing sky rocketed.

1. What is some songs/artists with great vocals that I should listen to, to improve my singing?

2. Is singing Bob Dylan stuff bad for my voice/technique?

Got the idea from this vid

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8051_voice-lessons-great-vocalists.htm

• Members

Daniel Gildenlöw

sick0013.gif

Depends on whether you are into vocal gymnastics (above), or feeling.

Check out Jeff Buckley, Maynard from Tool/Perfect Circle, Chris Cornell, heck Eddie Vedder is in incredible singer too...

• Members

:confused:

No!!! No!!! No!!!

Even if you were to go out of your way to IMITATE him, you'd still be fine. The guy has only sold XXX million records!

In strictly technical terms, of course, Bob can possibly teach you bad habits. So if you're interested in opera, showtunes, or high-pitched and tight-trousered 80s hair band pop/metal, he's probably not your guy.

If you like his music, where's the problem?

I'll go on record here and say that I think Bob is a great singer. He's not technically great, of course, but I can't think of anyone more creative and experimental in his vocal styles. Even his current croak works wonderfully. Listen to his vocals on the two cover albums from the early 90s. Rootsy stuff, old blues and country. Amazing!

:love: Go ahead, it's okay to love Bob :love:

• Members

sick0013.gif

Depends on whether you are into vocal gymnastics (above), or feeling.

Check out Jeff Buckley, Maynard from Tool/Perfect Circle, Chris Cornell, heck Eddie Vedder is in incredible singer too...

How can you say Gildenlöw has no feeling? :confused: That video was merely a compilation to show his range

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

:facepalm:

• Moderators

:confused:

No!!! No!!! No!!!

Even if you were to go out of your way to IMITATE him, you'd still be fine. The guy has only sold XXX million records!

In strictly technical terms, of course, Bob can possibly teach you bad habits. So if you're interested in opera, showtunes, or high-pitched and tight-trousered 80s hair band pop/metal, he's probably not your guy.

If you like his music, where's the problem?

I'll go on record here and say that I think Bob is a great singer. He's not technically great, of course, but I can't think of anyone more creative and experimental in his vocal styles. Even his current croak works wonderfully. Listen to his vocals on the two cover albums from the early 90s. Rootsy stuff, old blues and country. Amazing!

:love:
Go ahead, it's okay to love Bob
:love:

You think that having sold a lot of records necessarily makes him good? That popularity = quality?

• Members

I know my title doesn't look right.

I noticed when I played guitar that as soon as I started listening to more jazz, Paul Gilbert, Vai, the greats etc. that my playing sky rocketed.

1. What is some songs/artists with great vocals that I should listen to, to improve my singing?

Got the idea from this vid

I don't know what genres you love/don't...

I love them all so a great example of learning would be

(disclaimer: don't imitate, just follow along, see if you like the way they use vibrato and go from there)

Brian McKnight-One Last Cry,Anytime,Start back at one

Peter Gabriel-In your Eyes,Sledge Hammer,anything else!

Jodeci-cry for you, feenin....(their old material)

Shai-anything

Journey-anything

Boston-anything

-I wouldn't try to sing like Dylan unless it feels comfortable and you don't find yourself coughing every minutes or so. Brittany Spears has sold XXX albums as well, so has Nsync BB, but would you want to sound like them?

• Members

I don't know what genres you love/don't...

I love them all so a great example of learning would be

(disclaimer: don't imitate, just follow along, see if you like the way they use vibrato and go from there)

Brian McKnight-One Last Cry,Anytime,Start back at one

Peter Gabriel-In your Eyes,Sledge Hammer,anything else!

Jodeci-cry for you, feenin....(their old material)

Shai-anything

Journey-anything

Boston-anything

-I wouldn't try to sing like Dylan unless it feels comfortable and you don't find yourself coughing every minutes or so. Brittany Spears has sold XXX albums as well, so has Nsync BB, but would you want to sound like them?

I have a wide musical taste, everything from jazz to john mayer to paul gilbert to RnB to rap.

Some genres I wouldn't sing are (as someone said above) none of the showy high vocals , opera, country and world music.

• Members

well, I must say that my singing really took off listening to spanish pop-Ballad singers.

check them out:

Luis Miguel:

[YOUTUBE]GdVQ9lEszOw[/YOUTUBE]

David Bisbal:

[YOUTUBE]1MGVm6lzchs[/YOUTUBE]

Jose Jose:

[YOUTUBE]yYZoBvhsILI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I constantly compare myself to Martin Sexton. I don't want to imitate him but the more I practice the better I can sing his songs. He has a lot of range, tons of vocal power and probably more control over his voice than anyone I've ever heard. Some of his songs I simply cannot sing, he is a master of falsetto and switching between falsetto and full voice. Here is a live version of my favorite song. If you get a chance listen to some of his stuff on Pandora.com or download an album or two.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You think that having sold a lot of records necessarily makes him good? That popularity = quality?

Oh, that's rich! Bob is a mere pop star! (Another poster compares him to Brittney and N'Sync.) :rolleyes:

Okay, fair enough, I shouldn't equate popularity with quality. I just assumed that in THIS case it would be obvious that I wasn't referring to THAT kind of popularity. I'd make a similar case for the Beatles--and, while we're at it, for Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and Shakespeare.

Still, I'll rewrite. How about this:

"The guy has sold XXX million records, has received worldwide glowing critical praise throughout his career, has won Grammys, Oscars, and Pulitzer Prizes, and has inspired hundreds of books written about his art and its influence on several generations."

There!!! :p

• Members

Most of the singers I listen to these days are really "old" or really "new".

"Old" singers? Stuff like Sinatra, Aretha, Sam Cooke, Tony Bennett, Ella, etc.

"New" singers? Jorn Lande and Russell Allen are two of my favorites.

You will notice a huge gap in genres here (Motown and Jazz Standards vs. Progressive Metal), but I do fill in the gaps by listening to stuff like Willie Nelson (especially for his phrasing), Patsy Cline, Lou Gramm, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, the list goes on and on.

Variety is the spice of life, and that especially applies to drawing influences from a wide array of sources in your singing.

• Moderators

Oh, that's rich! Bob is a mere pop star! (Another poster compares him to Brittney and N'Sync.)
:rolleyes:

Okay, fair enough, I shouldn't equate popularity with quality. I just assumed that in THIS case it would be obvious that I wasn't referring to THAT kind of popularity. I'd make a similar case for the Beatles--and, while we're at it, for Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and Shakespeare.

Still, I'll rewrite. How about this:

"The guy has sold XXX million records, has received worldwide glowing critical praise throughout his career, has won Grammys, Oscars, and Pulitzer Prizes, and has inspired hundreds of books written about his art and its influence on several generations."

There!!!
:p

None of which, of course, makes him a good singer. Not even when they gave him a Grammy for Best Male Vocalist.

In my opinion, neither popular acclaim nor critical acclaim are adequate to define quality. IIRC, Salieri was more highly regarded than Mozart, in their lifetimes. Time alone will tell whether or not Dylan's work will be considered important in the future, and it is my opinion that, if it is, it will be considered so in spite of his singing, and in no part because of it.

So there, back atcha! :p

• Members

None of which, of course, makes him a good singer. Not even when they gave him a Grammy for Best Male Vocalist.

In my opinion, neither popular acclaim nor critical acclaim are adequate to define quality. IIRC, Salieri was more highly regarded than Mozart, in their lifetimes. Time alone will tell whether or not Dylan's work will be considered important in the future, and it is my opinion that, if it is, it will be considered so in spite of his singing, and in no part because of it.

So there, back atcha!
:p

Excellent point.

Although I studied music theory...I don't remember Salieri at all.

Dylan made great music, but his singing skills weren't the catalyst for his success IMO.

Axceleson: Is Bobby D. your idol?

• Members

"I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation."

-- John McCain

This demonstrates McCain's ignorance of the Constitution. Neither God nor Jesus is mentioned in the Constitution (unless you count the date).

Not you but your sig...I'm curious.

Is that really true? (The bold part)

• Members

Dylan made great music, but his singing skills weren't the catalyst for his success IMO.

:eek: Oh, no! My secret is out! :eek:

Seriously, yes, I'm a huge fan of Bob. And I do believe he is a fantastic singer (though of course not in a technical sense).

• Moderators

Excellent point.

Although I studied music theory...I don't remember Salieri at all.

Pretty impressive guy. He was Imperial Kapellmeister for Austrian Emperor Joseph II. Essentially he had the post Mozart wanted, standing in his way. History has not been kind to Salieri, especially pop history, like the movie Amadeus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Salieri

• Moderators

Not you but your sig...I'm curious.

Is that really true? (The bold part)

Yes, it is. the only mention of God or Jesus in the Constitution is the date, given in the usual fashion as "Year of our Lord". The only mention of religion in the main body is in Article Six, which states "... no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." Religion is mentioned again in the First Amendment, which states that Congress shall make no law respecting religion, nor prevent the free exercise thereof. And that's it.

Then there's Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, negotiated under George Washington, signed by John Adams, and ratified unanimously by the Senate, which states, in part, that "... the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

• Members

Yes, it is. the only mention of God or Jesus in the Constitution is the date, given in the usual fashion as "Year of our Lord". The only mention of religion in the main body is in Article Six, which states "... no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." Religion is mentioned again in the First Amendment, which states that Congress shall make no law respecting religion, nor prevent the free exercise thereof. And that's it.

Then there's Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, negotiated under George Washington, signed by John Adams, and ratified unanimously by the Senate, which states, in part, that "... the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

This is fascinating and I appreciate that very much:thu:

I had thought that with language like "endowed by the creator (speaking of natural rights) that this country was founded on the notion of man's unalienable rights- sacred for the same reason that they are unalienable--because of their Divine origin, according to the traditional American philosophy?

Didn't mean to thread jack but this begged to be asked, thanks!

• Members

Maybe you listen to a number of artist with great vocals already and the reason you got better listening to Vai, Gilbert, etc. is that you listened with more intent and more will to learn.

No doubt that an artist can inspire and not to say you shouldn't ask or seek out new vocalists, but maybe look at your collection and dig deeper into there to find, imitate, discover new ways at looking at technique, nuances, phrasing, etc.

In essence, work that active listening, it's cheaper in the short term :thu:

I say this, 'cause I was "anti-Dylan" in the 80's. Thought his music was just old skool dribble by a burnt out hippie.

Needless to say I was wrong and that was just youth talking/thinking. Now, I find Dylan to be a valuable resource, not only on the vocal/phrasing level, but on the lyrical and songwriting level as well. :love:

Archived