passagio practice?

can't remember

• Members

How does one practice to make the transition through the 'passagio' smoother?

I'm new to singing and the only one that I've been taught so far...that seems to work is the "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh"...from high to low.

Is there a way to isolate that transition? I'd like to work on having an even timbre and eliminate a seemingly noticeable "pause/switch" moment...hard to explain. :facepalm:

Thanks!!!

• Members

This process of bridging the passagio--developing a smooth transition between chest and head voices--is all the rage these days in vocal coaching circles. The TC Helicon Voice Council site offers a recording of a roundtable of experts on this very subject:

http://www.voicecouncil.com/News_Releases/news02200801.aspx

I personally think the overwhelming emphasis on this aspect of singing is misplaced. But I'm willing to believe it's me--I want to feel comfortable singing a simple song on pitch with a reasonably good tone; I'm less interested in accumulating octaves I'll never use.

Bridging the passagio is treated by metal singers like the holy grail--probably because metal styles really value the very high pitched male voice. :bor:

I suppose this is a good obsession for those of us who can already sing well. For me, well, not so much.

• Members

I personally think the overwhelming emphasis on this aspect of singing is misplaced. But I'm willing to believe it's me--I want to feel comfortable singing a simple song on pitch with a reasonably good tone; I'm less interested in accumulating octaves I'll never use.

Bridging the passagio is treated by metal singers like the holy grail--probably because metal styles really value the very high pitched male voice.
:bor:

I suppose this is a good obsession for those of us who can already sing well. For me, well, not so much.

Why not have both? :p

I've had some scary moments in my life music-wise: I discovered I was going in a rut and stopped practicing. I was treating music as a job (Well it's my only living now, so it is in fact a job) And I hate jobs! I was driving to gigs and did my thing for money. STOP!

So I stopped for a moment and pulled back on the gigs, stopped using so darn much money so I didn't have to play out so often. I know guys who are burned out and have a very hard time enjoying gigs b/c the rat race thing combined with a down period in music enjoyment.

My point is that it's good for your development to have goals to strive for and be excited having new things to learn. This is possible at any level. I've always said that the sky is limit range-wise, but not everybody needs freaky range. I've reach a point were there are other things to reach for like a nice passagio, which micwalt did a killer demo of!

So I'd say, as long as it's fun, it's not wrong! :)

• Members

Thanks for the VoiceCouncil link, I still need to go through more than half of the recorded program.

Don't get me wrong, I like the obvious breaks/switches in my passagio but I don't want 'em every time. I'd like to be able to go through my passagio smoother and with more "control." Another tool in the bag if you will.

Thanks again :thu:

Archived