Foods that work / don't work

WowieZowie

• Members

To me, one of the biggest issues concerning my ability to sing is my diet.

There are certain foods that I love, that make singing rather difficult, or almost impossible.

I would imagine that this thread won't get much play, but it is intended to help some folks to realize that there are so many other factors that can impact your ability to sing.

When I was a kid, I never knew about Food Alergies. I loved hambergers, and french fries with lots of catchup, and that was that. Now I know that Catchup clogs my nose up more than you could imagine. And when you have flem in your throat, well things are just not going to work the same. I read somewhere in here that a guy drinks chocolate milk before singing to sooth his throat. For me, that would make me ill in several different ways. Not to mention the clogged nose.

So, tell me what foods work for you. (Food and Drink for that matter.)

Things that seem to work are mild. And, are taken in strict moderation. Again, not for any reason but that if I do too much, I simply can't sing.

Red wine, room temp

Chicken

rice

fish

Things that make the vocal machine break down

Sugar - cake, pie, cookies etc (Especially Chocolate)

Catchup as I mentioned but it has a ton of sugar in it.

Any liquor. I can have a drink, but if I indulge, I can't sing any more. Not from enebriation, but from the fact that the vocal chords just don't work.

Any Dairy products. Must be very careful with this stuff.

Anyway, this may seem foolish to some, but believe me, you will start finding things that really screw you up. And it will be very good info to have.

Everyone is different by the way. Some can drink beer all day, and sing wonderfully when the gig begins.

• Members

I have the same problem with dairy. Especially cheese--Italian food, especially pizza, is a killer.

My concern is eating too close to singing. Because my voice is potentially unstable after eating, I tend to skip dinner before rehearsals. The problem is not only the sinuses, but the stomach. The feeling of a full stomach makes it a lot harder to control my breath.

So anyone have ideas about how long to wait between eating and singing?

• Members

NO SPICY FOODS.

Day of the gig, I get a simple pizza or a regular deli-meat sandwich. No Taco Bell, no barbecue sauces or hot sauces.

I also love sipping milk (chocolate or otherwise) slowly before a show. Warm milk is very soothing and coats the throat. I've found that if I chug water before a show, it makes my voice brittle and then makes me need water even more during the setlist. But tea and honey, milk, or apple juice works great for keeping my throat ready.

• Members

Oh Boy!

I am a recent convert to singing, and I need all of the help I can get. I sing a three hour show on Saturday nights at small restaurant. My regimen:

1. No wheat ever

2. No dairy after Wednesday

3. Very little sugar

4. Light meals on Saturday

5. I drink an O'Doul's sometimes, but it makes me burp!

6. Vitamins very day

7. Smoothie Saturday afternoon for hydration (2 bananas, peanut butter, soy milk)

8. DMSO on the back of my neck to mitigate some chronic pain and cramping

9. SODzyme and D-Ribose before the show for energy

10. Drink lots of water during the show (1/2 gallon in cool weather, a gallon or more in hot weather

11. Avoid smoke as much as possible

12. Try to sing some every day except Sunday and Friday

13. Eat to keep that extra five pounds off! I need the space for air!

14. No caffeine except a small square of chocolate after breakfast

15. No yelling

Hope this helps,

oldMattB

• Members

Yup, im the chocMilk guy..haha, gotta have it. I do drink loads of water but prefer the milk during the task.

The Arizona tea I read about in this post kills my throat, it makes it very dry and thin.

As far as eating, no spicy stuff before a show (causes my throat to be very dry and thin sounding as well)

I do prefer to eat a good meal about an hour before a show.(not getting full though)

NO eating even on breaks while the show is going on.

The milk does several things for me.. The not so obvious reason is that it helps me to not be hungry during a long show (Im sure you all know how much it sucks to be hungry at a show).

It coats my throat for the harsher side of music and I can can go waaay lower when I drink it.

It also helps with not wanting to smoke.. if your a smoker its hard to go an hour and a half without a smoke.. it down right sucks

• Members

Oh Boy!

I am a recent convert to singing, and I need all of the help I can get. I sing a three hour show on Saturday nights at small restaurant. My regimen:

1. No wheat ever

2. No dairy after Wednesday

3. Very little sugar

4. Light meals on Saturday

5. I drink an O'Doul's sometimes, but it makes me burp!

6. Vitamins very day

7. Smoothie Saturday afternoon for hydration (2 bananas, peanut butter, soy milk)

8. DMSO on the back of my neck to mitigate some chronic pain and cramping

9. SODzyme and D-Ribose before the show for energy

10. Drink lots of water during the show (1/2 gallon in cool weather, a gallon or more in hot weather

11. Avoid smoke as much as possible

12. Try to sing some every day except Sunday and Friday

13. Eat to keep that extra five pounds off! I need the space for air!

14. No caffeine except a small square of chocolate after breakfast

15. No yelling

Hope this helps,

oldMattB

Christ!

:eek:

• Members

Wow! I can't believe how many people have to avoid certain foods because it hinders their singing. You guys are hardcore.

I personally eat and drink everything...never think about my voice...not sure if any food or beverage has affected it.

• Members

Wow! I can't believe how many people have to avoid certain foods because it hinders their singing. You guys are hardcore.

I personally eat and drink everything...never think about my voice...not sure if any food or beverage has affected it.

I never have worried about it either. That being said, I'm going to start now!!

Could be one possible reason for the major variance in my vocal quality from time to time.

• Members

This is a great comment, and exactly the reason that I started this thread.

When I was younger, I had no idea how much food impacted the way that I sang. And, the fact that I would have good days, and bad days made me think that "I" was the problem. In other words, that I just didn't have the talent to be a good singer. The big one for me was catchup. Man, it screwed my voice up so much it wasn't funny. So, I began to look for other foods that were messing with me. It is a trip.

If you have a gig that is real important to you, don't forget to just eat something that won't mess with your throat, nose, flem production, that kinda thing. Cause you will have way less control over your vocal chords if they are swollen from some food allergy.

• Members

I gotta have a Hot Pepper or two and a couple cups of coffee,then water,no ice during the gig, with coffee between sets.

NO dairy at least the night before,and I usually eat breakfast as the meal before gigs. Just no milk products.

I didn't think about it much untill I was the one singin 80% of the tunes, so I started looking for what worked to get me through the weekend with the least discomfort.

• Members

I'm with Micwalt: You're kidding, right?
:confused:

I follow a similar diet regarding eliminating dairy, wheat. and sugar.....but then again, I'm a bodybuilder and used to restricted dieting.

When I'm in my cutting phase, it's nothing but red meat, eggs, tuna, olive oil, and as much romm temperature water as I can drink for 8 weeks. It's not fun, but it strips the fat off in no time. I've cut 50 lbs of FAT in 4 weeks before! :snax:

And the side effect of removing dairy and wheat from your diet is there is literally no phlegm at all...there is nothing for your body to produce it with.

And for somebody like me, who almost has a perpetual headcold thanks to over 15 years of smoking 2 packs a day - on top of bronchaitis and allergies - it's nice to be free of all of that.

C

Archived