how do i increase my vocal range?

babuchang

• Members

hey,

im mainly a guitarist but im just interested in increasing my vocal range, prefarably higher, just to accompany myself and not have to sing an octave lower!

so..are there any exercises to increase my range?

or if i sing along with songs that are at the top of my range will i naturally improve??

im 15 btw...

thanks

• Moderators

Record some guitar scales, going from just below the very lowest notes you can hit to just above the highest ones you can, making sure you play at a measured, even tempo. (playing along with a metronome helps) Just move the scales up chromatically as you proceed.

Then practice singing along, using different sounds. ("ah's", "ooh's", "ee's" and so on) When you get to the lowest and highest noted you'll struggle, but just do you best and stick with it.

After a month or so of practicing this more or less daily, my voice teacher said she noticed a definite improvement in my accuracy in hitting notes that were both at the bottom of my range and the top.

• Members

Besides from getting Venderas "Raise your voice", sing lot's of songs! Sing for hours daily, especially songs in both ends of your register.'

One thing I do is use pitch correction software ("pacemaker" plugin for winamp or "transcribe") to lower the pitch, sing and push up one notch and repeat. Keep pushing till your voice flips, then take a break. Repeat from a 1/2 step higher. Do this until your voice is getting tired.

If you can raise 1/2 step a month it will take you one year for a full octave, which is realistic for someone who is untrained. A man can sing way in the soprano range with practice. But: YOU NEED TO WORK ON IT EVERY DAY!! It's not enough to have the attitude to be a rock singer, it takes work!!! DAMMMIT!

• Members

this to me is bad advice. "accepting your limitations" is the surest road to mediocrity and failure.

When I was a teenager, I had a guy tell me that I should give up on singing. I'm glad I didn't listen. In fact, it sort of pissed me off to the point where I put extra effort into improving my singing just to prove that guy wrong.

Maybe "search now" is using reverse-psychology to get the same effect on this kid? :lol:

Seriously, babuchang, don't give up because if you can become a solid, confident singer, all sorts of opportunities will open up for you. There are ALWAYS situations where a good voice is appreciated.

• Members

this to me is bad advice. "accepting your limitations" is the surest road to mediocrity and failure.

Dont quote me as saying things I didnt. This is your inturpetation of what I said.

What I said was a very general statement . It was advice that was given to me by the most talented person I ever played in a band with.I have played in bands with 100s of different people in my 37 years of gigging.I didnt say give it up either. .

When youre up there in front of people you arent {censored}ing around and experimenting, this will fail ..you do what you know.

• Members

Dont quote me as saying things I didnt. This is your inturpetation of what I said.

What I said was a very general statement . It was advice that was given to me by the most talented person I ever played in a band with.I have played in bands with 100s of different people in my 37 years of gigging.I didnt say give it up either. .

When youre up there in front of people you arent {censored}ing around and experimenting, this will fail ..you do what you know.

your original post was vague, so i interpreted it in the context of a 15 year old trying to improve his singing, not about when to perform or not perform in front of people.

i also think that i missed seeing the word "it", in "if you can't sing it, don't."

i read it as "if you can't sing, don't." :facepalm:

now that you are more clear about what you meant and i realized that i missed reading that tiny little word, i can agree with you.

• Members

This is a good point, actually. I recently read something saying that the highest note you an sing is actually 4 notes above what could be considered the highest note of your comfortable range. Therefore, your experimenting and testing will show you what you can easily do. Gigs are not the time for experimenting. But they are times to let loose and let passion guide you. I know that may seem contradictory on first read, but it really isn't.

• Members

your original post was vague, so i interpreted it in the context of a 15 year old trying to improve his singing, not about when to perform or not perform in front of people.

i also think that i missed seeing the word "it", in "if you can't sing
it
, don't."

i read it as "if you can't sing, don't."
:facepalm:

now that you are more clear about what you meant and i realized that i missed reading that tiny little word, i can agree with you.

SORRY BOUT THE MISUNDERSTANDING ,GLAD WE CAN AGREE

• Moderators

I'm not sure what you mean.
:confused:

My older brothers used to say that to me. "If you can't sing, don't." I know, not quite what you wrote, but close enough to get my hackles up.

In fact, I was a pretty good singer than, and quite good now. The thing is, everything we sing, at some point, we couldn't. Working on what we can't quite do yet is now we get better.

• Members

My older brothers used to say that to me. "If you can't sing, don't." I know, not quite what you wrote, but close enough to get my hackles up.

In fact, I was a pretty good singer than, and quite good now. The thing is, everything we sing, at some point, we couldn't. Working on what we can't quite do yet is now we get better.

As long as I am getting your hackles up for saying things I didnt say I might as well get them up for something I do say that is,{censored} you. Hackles raised?

• Moderators

As long as I am getting your hackles up for saying things I didnt say I might as well get them up for something I do say that is,{censored} you. Hackles raised?

No, but if I were moderator of this forum, action would be taken. This isn't Open Jam. I see no need for that kind of interaction here.

• Members

No, but if I were moderator of this forum, action would be taken. This isn't Open Jam. I see no need for that kind of interaction here.

alright lets get back on topic of what this thread about.

I say you shouldnt sing songs you cant sing . You think you should,.. to try and broaden your horizons.

If you stick to songs you can sing maybe, in awhile, youll be singing songs you couldnt handle before and sing them well. If you practice trying to do something you cant ,youll get very good at doing that. Now pick somebody else to dump on for things they didnt say ,Im not your brother and you arent a mod.

• Moderators

alright lets get back on topic of what this thread about.

Works for me.

I say you shouldnt sing songs you cant sing . You think you should,.. to try and broaden your horizons.

If you stick to songs you can sing maybe, in awhile, youll be singing songs you couldnt handle before and sing them well. If you practice trying to do something you cant ,youll get very good at doing that.

How will you know if you can sing songs you couldn't before, if you never sing them? You support my point. It's necessary to attempt things now and again, to find out where your limits are. If all you ever sing are things you know you can sing already, you'll never get better. Even if you do, you'll never know it.

Now pick somebody else to dump on for things they didnt say ,Im not your brother and you arent a mod.

Yes, I am a mod. Just not in this forum.

You might consider being more careful with what you write. I'm not the only one who took it the way I did.

• Members

Works for me.

How will you know if you can sing songs you couldn't before, if you never sing them? You support my point. It's necessary to attempt things now and again, to find out where your limits are. If all you ever sing are things you know you can sing already, you'll never get better. Even if you do, you'll never know it.

Yes, I am a mod. Just not in this forum.

You might consider being more careful with what you write. I'm not the only one who took it the way I did.

I think we have a little misunderstanding . I said dont sing songs you cant in the context of live preformance and imo. usually when practicing.I even clarified that later in the thread but you didnt pick up on it,or chose to ignore it for some reason. I know you arent stupid.

That being said Id like to say please stop badgering me with your threatening "If I were a mod here" and "You might want to consider"crap.

Where are you a mod? I will keep out.

• Members

Kids are experts of learning new things. We are born with no skills, we learn to talk, speak, read, write etc.. How?

By trying, trying, trying, falling, saying funny things, trying over and over again. Have you looked into the eyes of a kid taking his/hers first steps? Then you know the drive and joy that is pushing them to learning new things. You need excactly that drive as a singer if you want to learn lot's!

Have you witnessed a child suddenly getting the grasp of bicycling. Then you know how much trying and work it's put behind it. There needs to be a lot of failing before you learn. Lot's and lot's.

When do we start learning slower? THE MINUTE WE ARE LEARNED THAT WE LEARN SLOWER AND BELIEVE IT!!

There is no reason to do so! Research show the opposite: That age and experience is an aid to learn faster.

Do anyone know someone who tried to learn to ride a bike and didn't do it? Everyone I know learn it eventually. It's the same with singing. Everyone can learn to sing, that is if you have healthy vocal cords.

Those who kept on bicycling got better than those didn't and those who kept on singing got better singers. It's that simple. And those who believed that they couldn't be better bike-riders or singers quit. When you quit you don't get any better.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!

As for not performing songs you can't sing: Don't do that of course.

• Members

Kids are experts of learning new things. We are born with no skills, we learn to talk, speak, read, write etc.. How?

By trying, trying, trying, falling, saying funny things, trying over and over again. Have you looked into the eyes of a kid taking his/hers first steps? Then you know the drive and joy that is pushing them to learning new things. You need excactly that drive as a singer if you want to learn lot's!

Have you witnessed a child suddenly getting the grasp of bicycling. Then you know how much trying and work it's put behind it. There needs to be a lot of failing before you learn. Lot's and lot's.

When do we start learning slower? THE MINUTE WE ARE LEARNED THAT WE LEARN SLOWER AND BELIEVE IT!!

There is no reason to do so! Research show the opposite: That age and experience is an aid to learn faster.

Do anyone know someone who tried to learn to ride a bike and didn't do it? Everyone I know learn it eventually. It's the same with singing. Everyone can learn to sing, that is if you have healthy vocal cords.

Those who kept on bicycling got better than those didn't and those who kept on singing got better singers. It's that simple. And those who believed that they couldn't be better bike-riders or singers quit. When you quit you don't get any better.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!

As for not performing songs you can't sing: Don't do that of course.

Oh well,.. Its not simple. You arent taking into consideration inbred musical ability, "pipes" and taste . When it comes to singing all men are not created equal. This is what I think,this is my opinion based on fact.Know yourself and to yourself be true.

To sing you must have a lot of confidence, if your apoligetic about it and are thinking "I cant do this" you cant. I think maybe thats why singers are like they are and can bull{censored} themselves so well.

• Members

Oh well,.. Its not simple. You arent taking into consideration inbred musical ability, "pipes" and taste . When it comes to singing all men are not created equal. This is what I think,this is my opinion based on fact.

{censored}, I hear this all the time, but no one have ever presented these facts to me. I've searched the net all the time without fining any thing that proves this. Can you please refer to any research that can prove that there is ONE common physical attribute to the vocal cords of men who can sing a high C?

I'm willing to bet that there is as much variation there as on men that can't sing the high C. I would bet that those who can have been practicing it a lot more. I don't think that the 10-20% variation in vocal cord length explains why someone can reach 2 octaves higher than others. 2 octaves = 4 times faster vibrations of the cords!! a 24-fret guitar can can play 2 semitones higher than a 22-fret. And a man with 10% shorter cords than me would maybe be able to have a potential of 1 semi-tone higher than me.

So what about those who can go very low and very high, do they have short or long vocal cords?

• Members

{censored}, I hear this all the time, but no one have ever presented these facts to me. I've searched the net all the time without fining any thing that proves this. Can you please refer to any research that can prove that there is ONE common physical attribute to the vocal cords of men who can sing a high C?

I'm willing to bet that there is as much variation there as on men that can't sing the high C. I would bet that those who can have been practicing it a lot more. I don't think that the 10-20% variation in vocal cord length explains why someone can reach 2 octaves higher than others. 2 octaves = 4 times faster vibrations of the cords!! a 24-fret guitar can can play 2 semitones higher than a 22-fret. And a man with 10% shorter cords than me would maybe be able to have a potential of 1 semi-tone higher than me.

So what about those who can go very low and very high, do they have short or long vocal cords?

So you dont think there is such a thing as a natural? That it is all practice? If thats what you think thats great.

• Moderators

I think we have a little misunderstanding . I said dont sing songs you cant in the context of live preformance and imo. usually when practicing.I even clarified that later in the thread but you didnt pick up on it,or chose to ignore it for some reason. I know you arent stupid.

That being said Id like to say please stop badgering me with your threatening "If I were a mod here" and "You might want to consider"crap.

Where are you a mod? I will keep out.

It seems that this time it is I who was not clear. No threat was intended, only an expression of disapproval. And I wouldn't call it badgering. I mentioned it once, then merely responded to your post saying that I was not a mod.

In your first post in this thread, no mention was made of performance. Here's your entire post:

Being good is knowing what you can and cant do. If you cant sing it,dont.

It is not at all clear that you were referring to performance.

I am a moderator in the DIY forum.

• Members

It seems that this time it is I who was not clear. No threat was intended, only an expression of disapproval. And I wouldn't call it badgering. I mentioned it once, then merely responded to your post saying that I was not a mod.

In your first post in this thread, no mention was made of performance. Here's your entire post: It is not at all clear that you were referring to performance.

I am a moderator in the DIY forum.

I agree that 2 times dont make badger ,I apoligize for that. I dont think that "If I were a mod here" and "Id watch what I write" are non-threatening. I felt like you were trying to intimidate me. Ill try to be a little more clear for you in the future.

• Members

So you dont think there is such a thing as a natural? That it is all practice? If thats what you think thats great.

I think that the mysterious individuals called "naturals" are nothing like GODS like many people like to think.

The real problem is that most people explain their failure with lacking talent. It becomes so convinient to have a simple explanation for why we didn't reach a goal we have set. It's much easier to admit that we are talentless than it is to admit laziness.

Myths:

1. Naturals have genetic physical abilities way over the edge.

- Django Reinhart became the king of gypsy jazz AFTER he burned his left hand in a fire. 2 fingers were unusable. Of course this is one of many examples

2. Naturals are born with different functioning brains

- Einsteins brain was quite normal. Besides he was dyslectic. Of course this is one of many examples

3. Naturals learn faster

Several talented violinists were interviewed in order to find a several common thing that made them really good. Background, education, IQ, parents, everything was taken into consideration. They found ONE common thing: THEY ALL HAD PRACTICED 10 000 + hours on their instrument!!!

And that my friend is what I see as the key:

Have you practiced 10 000 hours singing or playing guitar or other instrument??? If not keep practicing. If you have and still suck, tell your story to the world and I'll promise you'll be a scientific raraity!!!!:eek:

Archived