What IF I could sing like Steve Perry?

Dr.Innovation

• Members

I recently read about the new singer for Journey, and what a great story he has! Arnel Pineda is his name I think.

Anyway it got me thinking about me, and my singing...

Throughout life I've never fit a common stereotype, a common "genre" etc...I don't fit in any categories and what's most puzzling for me musically is that I don't have one style of singing. Example:

I like 38 special, -2nd chance is a personal favorite.

I like RnB (although not the recent watered down RnB)

Jodeci, R Kelly from the 90's, Boys 2 Men, Brian Mcknight....

I love Boston, Journey, Peter Gabriel, Ray Charles,Brian Adams, Sting, the Eagles, Nirvana, Foo Fighters.....Basically anyone or group that has a distinct voice I love...Clapton...Johnny Cash

Hell, I even like listening to Opera, some Country as well as Korn, Rage, Disturbed, Cold, the Killers...

With that out of the way I love to sing...I love to hit notes that give me chills down my spine...I love to experiment with my voice so long as there is no straining.

Here's the thing. I don't have "one" style of singing, I have multiple:confused:

Some know of me, some don't know me, but what I can tell you is that sometimes saying things you aren't privy to (because this is the internet and we haven't met in person) might sound very conceeded. This I am not. Born and raised poor and humble, but I was taught not to be insecure if you can acknowledge your own worth, or in this case talent

-I can pretty much do it all.

I can sing with RnB styles, I can sing Rock Ballads and what's most distubring is that people started telling me that I sounded like Steve Perry:facepalm:

To me, that guy is awesome, despite his unwillingness to be with the band that relished in success with those famous songs they pumped out together as a unit...Now, not to discredit Steve Perry in any way I have always noticed a common denominator with his songs, any song with Journey or say "Foolish Heart" -done Solo...

Reverb, reverb, and more reverb.....Why?

Does it HAVE to be used? -The flip side:

Peter Gabriel doesn't need Reverb and has actually recorded songs without it...

What I want to know is how is this possible, or am I tone deaf and pretending that I sound this good? I know I can play piano, but singing I don't know. I've been told by people but for all I know they were being nice! So I thought I'd make up this thread for any and all people (like me) who may have been told this or something similar. Together, as a group of singers we could discuss this professionally and humbly...What say you?:wave:

One last thing-What IF I could sing like Steve Perry?

I don't mean copy him. I mean what if somehow I have the same tonal quality, the same vibrato, same power to hit the tough notes? -without sounding identical of course.

• Members

I guess without hearing you sing, it's difficult to comment intelligently on some of the questions in your post. :idk:

That said, a few years ago, I started getting comments various from prog/power metal fans that I sound a lot like Roy Khan of Kamelot. I had never heard of the guy, but when I looked him up and heard some samples, I understood what people were talking about.

It certainly wasn't a deliberate thing on my part, especially since I had never heard him before, but since Khan is, to my ear, a great singer, I just accept the similarity for what it is.

If you sound like Steve Perry at all, then that's good, isn't it? :idk:

• Members

Sorry guys and gals, I was actually being busy (for once!)

Anyway I will definitely post up sound clips singing various genres. I made this thread in hopes of bringing to light some singers who may be insecure but have a different, cool unique voice or talent when it comes to singing...and then share...

• Members

I love to imitate singers. That's a big part of what I find so much fun about singing. Though I've been told I have an unusual voice.

Generally, it seems like I've been compared to everyone, from Talking Heads, to the Bee Gees, to Peter Gabriel--very often singers I really have no intention of sounding like.

I have a habit of going for broke when I sing. Subtlety is not my strong suit. I take an aspect I may like about a style of a vocalist I may admire, and exaggerate it a bit too much. For instance, in the past, I was dowright mortified listening to old recordings of myself at about 17 or 18, before I figured out how to sing properly from my chest. I was listening to a lot of Michael Jackson, or Babyface at the time, so my voice was horribly nasal. I sounded more like Steve Urkel. Years later, I was embarrassed that I ever let anybody else hear those. It's very tough to be objective about one's own voice, because you're so used it.

Not too long ago, I posted a recent track of myself here, and people pointed out that I have a somewhat clipped vocal delivery that can be distracting at times (probably a result of listening to a bit too much Elton John). Recently, thanks in part to the helpful feedback I received here, I've tried to scale it back a little more, because I think it may be off-putting to people hearing me for the first time. It's tough to be objective about my own voice, because I'm so used to it, and that's why feeback from others can be so valuable.

Steve Perry is considered to be a great vocalist. If you can sing like him, you could probably get a lot of work as a singer/frontman of a band, if you aren't one already. I imagine there'd be a lot of bands who would love a singer who could pull off that style. At the least you could get a solid gig in an '80s cover band.

And the reason for all the reverb? My guess would be that it was the '80s. It was simply the production gimmick of the time.

• Members

I love to imitate singers. That's a big part of what I find so much fun about singing. Though I've been told I have an unusual voice.

Generally, it seems like I've been compared to everyone, from Talking Heads, to the Bee Gees, to Peter Gabriel--very often singers I really have no intention of sounding like.

I have a habit of going for broke when I sing. Subtlety is not my strong suit. I take an aspect I may like about a style of a vocalist I may admire, and exaggerate it a bit too much. For instance, in the past, I was dowright mortified listening to old recordings of myself at about 17 or 18, before I figured out how to sing properly from my chest. I was listening to a lot of Michael Jackson, or Babyface at the time, so my voice was horribly nasal. I sounded more like Steve Urkel. Years later, I was embarrassed that I ever let anybody else hear those. It's very tough to be objective about one's own voice, because you're so used it.

Not too long ago, I posted a recent track of myself here, and people pointed out that I have a somewhat clipped vocal delivery that can be distracting at times (probably a result of listening to a bit too much Elton John). Recently, thanks in part to the helpful feedback I received here, I've tried to scale it back a little more, because I think it may be off-putting to people hearing me for the first time. It's tough to be objective about my own voice, because I'm so used to it, and that's why feeback from others can be so valuable.

Steve Perry is considered to be a great vocalist. If you can sing like him, you could probably get a lot of work as a singer/frontman of a band, if you aren't one already. I imagine there'd be a lot of bands who would love a singer who could pull off that style. At the least you could get a solid gig in an '80s cover band.

And the reason for all the reverb? My guess would be that it was the '80s. It was simply the production gimmick of the time.

Trying to get my top of the line Alesis miniverb up and running and I'll post some snippets of my singing....:facepalm:

• Members

What I want to know is how is this possible

This is the most interesting question in your post. I look forward to hearing your clips, because the concept is interesting. Maybe this ability is like that of comedians who do impressions of many famous people.

Are you saying you struggle to form you own vocal style and identity?

Archived