The warmest mic under $200

cdubya

• Members

Folks,

Vocal description: I'm a road trained tenor with serviceable pitch. I generally travel solo, play acoustic and my style of music is folk-pop.(Think Counting crows, Josh Joplin, Stephen Kellogg, Rhett Miller)

When I'm on

When I'm singing in the middle of the fairway(to use a golf metaphor) I receive Adam Duritz/James Taylor/Dude from "Barenaked Ladies" vocal comparisons(literally phrased that way) In a nutshell, all of those vocalist(myslef included) can be a little tonally whiny/nasally, but on pitch nonetheless.

When I'm off

When I'm "in the rough" or struggling, I get michael "stipe'd", but with a higher octave delivery. Read "harsh, honky, nasally and strangely tinny". Notwithstanding, all of these comparisions are quite generous-just not what I'm setting out to get.(by the way, in an effort to preemptively address the standard advice- yes, I'm taking vocal lessons and I repaired my deviated septum...and both are/were great decisions)

What I want

I'm embarking on "traveling troubadour" kind of tour and I want a durable mic that will warm my voice up (i.e. take some of the shrill out/high-end) while also taking a bit of a beating. I want to keep this under $200, so Neumann 104, Audix om7 need not apply. Incidentally, I use a T.C Helicon voice correct to shape my tone, if that matters. Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a spaz(see Rhett Miller) and...my mic technique is horrid, so staying "on the mic" while playing guitar is a skill I've not yet mastered.

What I've a/b'd so far

SM58- discussed ad nauseaum. It is what it is. I'd like to improve upon it

Beta58- I liked it and it was clearer, but you have to "Stay on it" and it was pretty bright for when I'm missing.

Audix05- I found it warmer, but it really requires spot on mic technique and I'm not there...and God forbid I hone my craft.

Finally, what would you do on mic selection? Thanks in advance

cdubya

• Members

Have you considered a large diaphragm dynamic, like a Sennheiser MD-421 or a Shure SM-7B? They aren't harsh on the top end, and they've got plenty of clean bottom (and very "workable" proximity effect). The Senny also has adjustable low end roll off. I would think either would sound great on your voice. They both retail new for around $350, or around $200-$250 used.

:idea:

• Members

Yeah even a compressor with a slight noise gate can help a lot. A 2:1 or 4:1 would help keep your consistency in dynamics if you need to keep your volume a bit stronger as you move around.

They make AWESOME all-in-one vocal pedalboards these days. It's quite fun to throw some slap-back Zeppelin-style echo and big hall reverbs for certain songs. And the megaphone-distortion technique is always fun!

• Members

Tenor? I generally like the sound of condensers because they pickup all the overtones of higher voices. (That's assuming you actually have a PA capable of reproducing them.) The problems with them include being fragile, needing phantom or battery power. (Though the batteries last a long time.) generally pricier. I've got an AKG C1000 S. Sounds nice, but one singer thought it was too phallic to use on stage. (She should get her mind out of the gutter. Wasn't Steeley Dan named after a commercial dildo?)

• Members

I would agree with Wynnd, condensers are very warm and natural...

one that I love is Audio technica Atm-710 ($120-150)( i use it and I love it!, I have had a lot of complimetns since I use this mic)

the next that I like a lot is AT, at-2010....($89-$120)

these are made for live/stage/studio use

of course, there is the need of phantom power.....

Hope this helps....

Omar :thu:

• Members

Have you considered a large diaphragm dynamic, like a Sennheiser MD-421 or a Shure SM-7B? They aren't harsh on the top end, and they've got plenty of clean bottom (and very "workable" proximity effect). The Senny also has adjustable low end roll off. I would think either would sound great on your voice. They both retail new for around $350, or around $200-$250 used.

:idea:

Those are some very interesting suggestions, and neither ever crossed my mind. The majority recs I've been receiving are e835 and sm57 which seems crazy to me.

I'm running a little Helicon VoiceCorrect pedal for phantom power(though i've yet to need it) and generally shaping in town. By the way, it actually makes a nice vocal training tool at home when you jack up the pitch correction and compare the dry and wet. Just an FYI and a bonus I didn't consider.

Any suggestions on a good, easy interface, vocal compressor....in a pedal? I don't care about Steve Miller/Robots voices or anything, I just like to run my own sound when I see that the professionals are checked out behind the board.

• Members

238797.jpg

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Vocal-300-Vocal-Effects-Processor?sku=150177

Two hundy. Nice and compact. Only flaw, no phantom power provided.

However, if you really want QUALITY:

240817.jpg

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Helicon-VoiceLive-Vocal-Floor-Processor?sku=183029

Six hundy, 48V phantom power, and far superior effects processor over the Digitech.

• Members

AKG C900 is a nice hand held condenser. Take the "presence ring" off the capsule to warm it up. They come up on sale for $100 new. I have four and use them on singer song-writer gigs where the vocals matter and monitor levels are not painful. Have also used them with good results on acoustic guitar.

Heil PR-22 is a very nice all-around dynamic vocal mic for $150. I will eventually replace all my SM58's with PR-22's.

I like the OM-7 but you do have to stay right on it due to the tight hypercardioid polar pattern. Heil Pr-35 is supposed to sound beautiful and have a much more open cardioid polar pattern. Cost just a bit more than the OM-7.

Rat Sound has good deals on z-stock Audix mics.

• Members

Those are some very interesting suggestions, and neither ever crossed my mind. The majority recs I've been receiving are e835 and sm
which seems crazy to me.

I'm running a little Helicon VoiceCorrect pedal for phantom power(though i've yet to need it) and generally shaping in town. By the way, it actually makes a nice vocal training tool at home when you jack up the pitch correction and compare the dry and wet. Just an FYI and a bonus I didn't consider.

Any suggestions on a good, easy interface, vocal compressor....in a pedal? I don't care about Steve Miller/Robots voices or anything, I just like to run my own sound when I see that the professionals are checked out behind the board.

I can't help you with a pedal compressor, but if you are interested in a great and reasonably low cost (around $175) non-pedal compressor that can "do it all", take a look at the RNC by FMR Audio :

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM

If you were looking for a very flexible, good sounding, reasonably low cost (around $200) mic pre/EQ/comp "all in one" box, you might want to check out the JoeMeek 3Q :

http://www.joemeek.com/threeq.html

The JM 3Q preamp section is very clean, but can be "dirtied up" nicely, and the compressor section can squash the daylights out of the signal, or touch it lightly too, whatever you need. The EQ is very musical-sounding, and is tailored for the vocal range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wasn't Steeley Dan named after a commercial dildo?

Yep about the dan.

And, I have used a neuman, and it was very nice (4 times as much as you want to spend though). I own an Audix OM07, and it is very very nice. I totally agree with you about placement issues. You really have to be right on that mic. The warmth I get is very nice. The great thing about the Audix is that you can crank the heck out of it, and it is soooo feedback resistant. I love it. Perhaps since you are not in a loud band, then another mic would be better. I have actually heard that your OM05 is a very warm mic. I am a tenor also. With rebate, they are like $160.

I also own, beta58, and a standard 58.

Hey, Brian316, do you own, or have you used that VoiceLive box? I just ordered the Create box, and I am interested in what you thought of the VoiceLive?

• Members

The EV N/D767a is a VERY WARM sounding mic. It has very SOLID midrange that comes through extremely clear.

Plus it has extended high frequency response (22khz). So I think its a truly incredible mic for not a lot of $$$$

They're about $130.

But I've seen deals on Ebay where you can buy a 3-pack for $200.

• Members

Tenor? I generally like the sound of condensers because they pickup all the overtones of higher voices. (That's assuming you actually have a PA capable of reproducing them.) The problems with them include being fragile, needing phantom or battery power. (Though the batteries last a long time.) generally pricier. I've got an AKG C1000 S. Sounds nice, but one singer thought it was too phallic to use on stage. (She should get her mind out of the gutter. Wasn't Steeley Dan named after a commercial dildo?)

Aren't most mics "phallic"? :eek:

"Freud's mysic worlds of meaning needn't have us mystified

It's really very simple what the Psyche tries to hide

A thing is a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide!

And the Id goes marching on..."

Psychotherapy, by Melanie Safka

(To the tune of "Battle Hymn Of The Republic")

Archived