Effects Of Alcohol On Voice

Rhythm Junky

• Members

I've found that drinking (at least in my case) doesn't necessarily allow a wider vocal range, but will uninhibit me enough to push my voice harder than it should be pushed. I definitely feel it much worse by the end of the gig and the next day. This is one of the reasons I stopped drinking at gigs, especially when I had a gig scheduled the next day. Just too much chance of wrenching my voice and being unable to hit the high notes or bring dynamics at the next day's gig.

• Members

I don't hear the effect of alcohol the first night, but I do hear it the next day. I'm not sure if it's the alcohol per say or the smoke, yelling, and other wear and tear that comes with a night of drinking.

I have noticed that exhaling alcohol fumes is very tough on the vocal cords. Dries them right up.

• Members

While I'm convinced that alcohol, especially in excess, has long-term detrimental effects on a singer's voice, in my experience a few sips of B&B does wonders for smoothing out & tightening up a rough voice.

I have no idea why or how but I keep a flask of it in my gig bag just in case. My bandmates (all sing) who never tried the stuff before they met me will occasionally get some to sip on during a gig.

• Members

Alcohol dehydrates you. In the very short term it might help loosen you up a bit, but I'm guessing the next-day result would be from the strain of the gig combined with the dehydrating nature of alcohol.

I say a bit of drinking shouldn't really be a problem, provided you do everything else to look after your voice (which you should be anyway).

That said, I can hardly preach about anything, being a smoker 'n' all... :o

• Members

this is the only pertinent thread in the singers forum, imo.

lol! Not sure if it does or not, but the more I drink the better I sound to me. The more the audience drinks my voice seems to sound better to them, too! Seems that's the case with everything, though, I sing better, play bass better, definately golf better - I have scorecards to prove it :lol:

• Members

My experience from many years on the road is that there is many factors, and all are different from person to person. For example I can't use the air conditioner in my car driving to the gig, but quit smoking didn't have any effect on my voice at all. The sum of mental & physical shape, hydration and rest will dictate yor performance. And if everything is fine, I don't think a drink, a smoke, Milkshake or a greasy burger will do much difference.

But once one of the factors are out of tune, the danger is that something "harmless" can push you over the edge. If you've had little sleep and are dehydrated, then a drink can make a big difference. Take a little nap and drink lot's of water 1 hour before gig, and you've pretty much prepared well.

• Members

Alcohol dehydrates you. In the very short term it might help loosen you up a bit, but I'm guessing the next-day result would be from the strain of the gig combined with the dehydrating nature of alcohol.

I say a bit of drinking shouldn't really be a problem, provided you do everything else to look after your voice (which you should be anyway).

That said, I can hardly preach about anything, being a smoker 'n' all...
:o

what he said

• Members

I can't handle alcohol when I gig. I sing and play KBs. I do a solo act and sing every song. I do my own roadie work and haul my rig in a U-Haul trailer. By the time I tear down and load-out, I'm driving home late. I usually have "company" on my tail when driving back to my "rural" homestead. I guess the cops have nothing else to do at that time of night.

I know from years of past experience, that alcohol and playing music just doesn't mix. Maybe it relaxes you, but it also dehydrates you. I tend to sing flat when I drink, so I just don't do it.

I've heard bands that drink while they play, and if they have a few too many, their performance deteriorates as the night goes on. The only advantage they have is by that time, almost everyone else has had a few too many too!

Mike T.

• Moderators

I'm torn on this one. Sometimes I think it makes a difference, and other times I think it doesn't. It can't be good for the singing voice.

Back when I was singing full time, I noticed a few things.

Alcohol didn't seem to directly affect my voice, but it did reduce my control. Staying on pitch became a problem for me when I drank.

Alcohol reduced both inhibitions and the pain reflex, so oversinging was a real risk.

Given those issues, I stopped drinking when I sing. I save the drinking for afterwards. The downside there is that I'm often the only sober person in the room.

• Moderators

lol! Not sure if it does or not, but the more I drink the better I sound
to me
. The more the audience drinks my voice seems to sound better to them, too! Seems that's the case with everything, though, I sing better, play bass better, definately golf better - I have scorecards to prove it
:lol:

I think that "to me" are the operative words.

• Members

Drinking DEFINITELY affects your singing.. and your ability to recover. Singing while dehydrated is especially tough on your vocal chords. you may not notice it during the gig... but the next morning when you can't talk and can't remember a song where you felt you were stretching your ability is where it is shown.

in prep for a gig I make sure that the day before I hydrate well so I CAN have a beer or two as the gig goes on. I also have alot of water with Ricola (cough drop) in it. .. yeah it looks like urine and doesn't taste much better... but seemingly cheaper than throat coat and works just as well (for me at least)

Archived