No announcement yet.

no signal to monitor

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no signal to monitor

Accidentally left the computer on overnight (which I never do). Computer was still running when I went to use the computer in the morning but the monitor was in idle mode (I have stand by disabled). I turned the computer off by the button and rebooted, the computer turns on fine but the monitor gets no signal, the light just stays yellow. All the other components appear to be running fine, all fans spin, and the HDD appears to be running, there's just no display going to the monitor. Tried a different monitor, different power supply, same result. Help please.
    Leptus @ myspace

Leptus @ soundclick

My best guess is that the video card is broke or burnt out. The onboard video card is still on here but obviously it is disabled and set to that new video input in BIOS. To make the old onboard video card accessible again, I would need to set it to "onboard" in BIOS, but how can I can get into BIOS if I cant get any signal on the monitor?
    Leptus @ myspace

Leptus @ soundclick

Comment

Depends on make, model, and age of computer. Most desktops, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, replace and reboot. Bios will reset. On other computers, somewhere near the CMOS battery there will be a jumper that you will need to exchange the pins on for a few minutes (seconds) that will reset the bios. On other computers, you may be screwed.

One way to force a reset is to remove the RAM and the video card (or all cards and RAM) and boot the computer. After POST fails, power down and replace the RAM, then boot. The bios will usually reset to its default values.

Comment

My best guess is that the video card is broke or burnt out. The onboard video card is still on here but obviously it is disabled and set to that new video input in BIOS. To make the old onboard video card accessible again, I would need to set it to "onboard" in BIOS, but how can I can get into BIOS if I cant get any signal on the monitor?

simply removing the video card from the PC will cause the BIOS to automatically default back to the on-board video. It would probably be worthwhile to try to reseat the video card or move it to a different slot and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Tried removing the battery to reset BIOS. Same result. Tried switching the pins on the BIOS jumper cable to reset BIOS, same result. Tried removing the PCI video card to see if the onboard video card would then start working again, same result. Any other ideas on what this problem is? Maybe it is not the video card and a problem with the motherboard?
          Leptus @ myspace

Leptus @ soundclick

Comment

Tried removing the battery to reset BIOS. Same result. Tried switching the pins on the BIOS jumper cable to reset BIOS, same result. Tried removing the PCI video card to see if the onboard video card would then start working again, same result. Any other ideas on what this problem is? Maybe it is not the video card and a problem with the motherboard?

Yeah, it might be the mobo then.

I usually set my workstations up to allow a remote desktop connection. When keyboard/video problems arise I can still access the PC from another workstation to try to diagnose problems and do system backups if needed.

Comment

Remove all cards and the ram. Power up. Does the computer issue a beep or a series of beeps? The replace the ram after cleaning the pins with a rubber erasure on a pencil. Power up. does the computer beep or issue a series of beeps? If yes, report the make and model of the computer and the beeps sunch as X number of short followed by X number of long. If the computer does not beep at either of these stages then your MB is history.

Comment

Remove all cards and the ram. Power up. Does the computer issue a beep or a series of beeps? The replace the ram after cleaning the pins with a rubber erasure on a pencil. Power up. does the computer beep or issue a series of beeps? If yes, report the make and model of the computer and the beeps sunch as X number of short followed by X number of long. If the computer does not beep at either of these stages then your MB is history.

No beeps in either of those scenarios. It did beep once (while off) the second the RAM was re-inserted though. I am not all that knowledgeable with computer tech stuff, If the MB is indeed history...would transferring the hard drive to an external hard drive still be a possibility? The computer itself is not very important to me, but a lot of the files on the computer are.
                Leptus @ myspace

Leptus @ soundclick

Comment

No beeps in either of those scenarios. It did beep once (while off) the second the RAM was re-inserted though. I am not all that knowledgeable with computer tech stuff, If the MB is indeed history...would transferring the hard drive to an external hard drive still be a possibility? The computer itself is not very important to me, but a lot of the files on the computer are.

Your MB is probably fried. Without a direct look I can not be certain and can only make an educated guess.

Yes, you can either use and external housing such as USB or insert the drive in another compatible computer as a secondary drive and read the files. By compatible I mean if the drive is IDE you need to have an IDE bus, if sata, the computer must accept sata drives. External enclosures can go both ways.

Why I say you MB is probably fried is that with no video you should not have any beeps (POST codes). With video but no ram most computers will issue either a single long beep, three long beeps, or three short beeps; however the post code is MB particular.

Comment

Try pressing the menu button on the monitor and see if there is a factory reset.
                    2011 Mitchell MD100sce Acoustic
                    1979 Takamine F-349 (Martin Lawsuit
                    copy)
                    2011 Fender American Special Jazz Bass (Olympic white)
                    2008 SX SJM-62 electric with 3 P-90's

Comment

What Video card are you using?
                      I would do the free stuff first. Remove the video card, clean the contact fingers with a clean pencil eraser. Re-install the card. If still no results then put the video card in another slot and see what happens.
                      If you have two digital video plugs on the video card then try swapping the cable to the unused jack.
                      If still nothing, then leave the card out and connect video cable to the mother board's on board video jack. If it works that eliminates the cable. If not then it can only be the cable or the monitor itself.
                      2011 Mitchell MD100sce Acoustic
                      1979 Takamine F-349 (Martin Lawsuit
                      copy)
                      2011 Fender American Special Jazz Bass (Olympic white)
                      2008 SX SJM-62 electric with 3 P-90's

Comment

Working...
                      X