The Best Music Software Ever Made

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Music Software Ever Made

Hello people! I’m writing this because I would like to now (and share):

What is the best software working station you (would like to) have (considering the kind of what music you make)?
    This means host application and plug-ins (VST, DX, AU, RTAS, whatever…), and no hardware considering.

So, the main purpose of this post is to collect the nowadays best music software ever made!

Thanks in advance for all the answers!

Free songs at:
    www.myspace.com/samuelvelho
    www.facebook.com/SamuelVelhoMusic

(add me for updates )

Answering my own question, here it goes:

I create: Electronic, Rock, Metal, Sound FX for movies, Classical

Host Application:
    Cubase 4
    Plug-ins:
    Native Instruments: Battery 3, Kontakt 2, Absynth 4, Guitar Rig, and maybe FM8 and Massive
    Waves: Diamond Bundle, Vocal Bundle, GuitarTool Rack
    Roger Nichols Digital: FREQUAL-IZER

I also use Max MSP, which is (I think) the best program for music ever made.
    Oh, and I used Propellerheads Reason 3 when I was a musician “child”
    Free songs at:

(add me for updates )

Comment

an essential plugin for my work is a reverb plugin from magnus called ambience:

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

I host most my plugins through Fruity loops. Its what I used when I very first got into electronic music and what I've continued to use throughout the years.
      John Michaels in the lost forest of New York

Comment

Renoise and Sony Acid make a great combo so +1 for them

Comment

Oh and reaktor as it has so many cool features and sound options, it's like 3000 instruments and effects in one

Comment

Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge, of course. :-)

Scott

--
            Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
            ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
            http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
            http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Comment

Hello people! I’m writing this because I would like to now (and share):
              What is the best software working station you (would like to) have (considering the kind of what music you make)?
              This means host application and plug-ins (VST, DX, AU, RTAS, whatever…), and no hardware considering.
              So, the main purpose of this post is to collect the nowadays best music software ever made!
              Thanks in advance for all the answers!

FlexiMusic Composer, a multi-track program for mixing and composing music of instrumental sounds.

Comment

Hi!
                Is there any best music soft?
                I don't believe in it. Best for me won't be best for you.
                Best for me, you mean?
                Okay:
                Here what I've used, use, and will use:
                My very first is GigaStudio. Any flavor, any release. Of course, version 3.x or Giga Virtual Instrument. All instruments are great to me. From Les Paul to Cavaillé-Coll symphonic organ.
                Then, surely, comes Reaktor. Much more electro, but just put them together and have really a new sound.

But this not all, because I need to play those stuff, right. I just cannot look at Cubase tracks!
                So how to do?

I've found Usine. Usine is just that stuff that does exactly what other don't. It became my main dash. The brain (since I have none) between my keys and my synths (also between many audio in like voices, bass, guitar... and VST FX).

The very best soft is not all what we need.
                We need the very best combination of softs.
                That was, is, and may be mine for a while.

cheers

Comment

Of course there is, GigaStudio 3 is the best sampler!

Comment

Hi!
                    I don't believe in it. Best for me won't be best for you.
                    Best for me, you mean?

>>> SNIP <<<

The very best soft is not all what we need.
                    We need the very best combination of softs.
                    That was, is, and may be mine for a while.

Very good answer. What works for one person, may not work for another.

For me, I went out and wrote the software that I needed most because I like to do things a certain way and nothing did what I wanted. (I write Guitar & Drum Trainer.)

My software isn't for everyone. I know that. It's not a problem. We all have our own tastes and needs.

For audio editing, I really like Samplitude. Most people like ProTools. Others like Sound Forge. SAW is very good as well.

For 3D stuff, I like Maven3D Pro. (Disclaimer: I worked for that company a few years ago.) Maven3D is great for 3D editing for film.

At the end of the day, what you use should be what's right for YOU. Most software you can try out first. That helps.

While I'm pretty much a geek, I'm lazy. I like things that make my life easier. Those things earn points for me.
                    Slow down music
                    Guitar & Drum Trainer
                    Check GDT on Facebook here.

Comment

I used to use Logic for PC back before those ass-pirates at Apple bought out Emagic and made Logic Mac-only. I'm still bitter about that.

Comment

Great stuff on this thread, some of it over my head at the moment. I'm going to rephrase the original question with more specific "what might be best for a dinsour guitar player / profesional geek who doesn't know anything about desk top recording"

What I need is:
                        - record 4 tracks at once so I can transfer some old 1/4" to fiddle with
                        - basic multi-track recording and mixing, with ability to mix to MP3
                        - get into web-collaboration
                        - get going with minimal pain

I've got a Tascam US488 audio interface/control surface
                        I understand the technical details of sampling, encoding. I have zero user level experience - as a recording tech I'm a dinosour (Tascam 1/4" tape, analog mixer, twiddle the nobs mate till you get it right).

Some recomendations for s/w and tutorial sites for learning the "ins and outs" so to speak that don't presume I already know how it works and doesn't assume I'm technically (vs medically) brain dead would be a big help!

Thanks!

Comment

Great stuff on this thread, some of it over my head at the moment. I'm going to rephrase the original question with more specific "what might be best for a dinsour guitar player / profesional geek who doesn't know anything about desk top recording"

What I need is:
                          - record 4 tracks at once so I can transfer some old 1/4" to fiddle with
                          - basic multi-track recording and mixing, with ability to mix to MP3
                          - get into web-collaboration
                          - get going with minimal pain

I've got a Tascam US488 audio interface/control surface
                          I understand the technical details of sampling, encoding. I have zero user level experience - as a recording tech I'm a dinosour (Tascam 1/4" tape, analog mixer, twiddle the nobs mate till you get it right).

Some recomendations for s/w and tutorial sites for learning the "ins and outs" so to speak that don't presume I already know how it works and doesn't assume I'm technically (vs medically) brain dead would be a big help!

Thanks!

I jumped in with both feet and went straight to Sonar (currently on Sonar 5 PE) when I started doing digital recording and didn't have much trouble figuring it out. You can mix to a number of formats including wav for CDs and mp3. I don't have a point of reference to compare Sonar's ease of use to other sw, but even as my projects have gotten more and more complex I've never run into a situation where I couldn't get the results I wanted due to technical limitations. Currently using an Edirol UA-1000 USB 2.0 audio interface which can do 10 trax of simultaneous capture. That might be overkill; there are cheaper 4-channel hardware options but again, I can't recommend one because I haven't used any. I do a good bit of web collaboration. If the person I'm working with also has Sonar we can exchange project files directly. If not, I send them a mix, they import it into their sw, record new material, send me back the new tracks as wavs or mp3s and I import those back into my Sonar project.

For a guitarist, I also highly recommend ReValver mk II amp sim (it's a VST plug-in, so you can use it in almost any decent recording software host, including Sonar). I know it sounds like blasphemy but I have a Marshall stack and a Digitech 2112 that gather dust between gigs because ReValver is that good for recording. It sounds unbelievable (well, actually it recreates totally believable amp sounds, which is the unbelievable part), and the flexibility is just nuts. Say a part sounded really good in isolation on a Fender twin with a flanger, but now that the mix is done you think it might have sounded better on a Mesa dual-rec with a little bit of wah? Or say you have a part you want to thicken up by splitting it to two stacks with a little delay and hard panning between cabs. With real gear you a) have to actually have all that different gear and b) have to set it up, set up the mics, and record the part again. With a sim you just change the settings.

Comment

I forgot about Reaktor, it's a very nice one too!

P.S.: Thanx for ALL the answers
                            Free songs at:

(add me for updates )

Comment

Reason 3---you'll need nothing else after that
                              Conspiracies are I

Comment

Working...
                              X