Crystalcello trumpets????

• Members

Crystalcello is one of numerous off-brands. While the horns look OK in pictures, they play terrible. And while the prospect of a cheap trumpet is tempting now, most of these things are so poorly made that when it comes time for repairs very few shops will do anything with them. Parts are unavailable, and the best they can do is take it as a trade-in on a horn on their own shelf.

If you want cheap and good, go used. There is a Conn 20B on Ebay right now at $100 that is identical to the one I started on and played for 8 years and used as backup until I gave it to my niece who played it for 2 more years. Even better is a Director like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conn-Trumpet-Director-good-student-instrument-/120641462885?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item1c16caa265

Anything by Conn or Olds is generally going to be an excellent low-priced horn. You won't get one with brand new shiny finish but the finish on a Crystalcello is going to wear very fast. Some of these Conns have good lacquer on them after half a century, and they will last.

Skip the Crystalcello.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want cheap and good, go used.

Skip the Crystalcello.

+1

I can tell you that going with a quality used instrument will be much better that any cheap off brand. The quality of the sound, if that's important to you, will be better with a used instrument of a decent price. Besides, who wants "cello" in the name of a trumpet! :p

Archived