Ordered a set of TurboLids for my Special 20.

• Members

Don't know how many of ya'll are familiar with TurboHarp or TurboLids, here's a link:

http://www.turboharp.com/Products.asp

Anyway, looked like a worth wile product so I ordered a set of their TurboLids for my Special 20 to test em' out and see if I'm going to like it or not. If I do I can either order the Turbo Twenty(Stock Special 20 w/TurboLids) or get the BX which is a semi-custom Special 20 with Lids or one of the other many models of harp they fit to their Lids. I should have em' by tomorrow with any luck and I'll post a short review for ya'll. Talk to ya' later. :thu:

• Members

Finally got em', verdict is still out. They DO make your harp quite a bit longer. So much so that I had to modify my hold on my harp. They also make it real easy to cup and mute your harp, great if you like doing the "wah wah wah" sound with your hand. They snap onto the comb easily and with the translucent you can easily see your reed plates too. I've got em' on my Hohner Special 20 in Bb. I'll play it a bit more today to get a better idea of weather I like em' or not.

• Members

Ah, and here they are. Trying them out now. :)

EDIT: All right. I like the TurboLid. I've tried it on all the harps that it will fit. On the Special 20s, I didn't care for it, it leaked a lot of air - but I use a wood comb which the guys at TurboHarp couldn't possibly accomodate. The hole sizes and some edges aren't the same as Hohner's stock comb, etc. I imagine if I sealed it up somehow it would be a fantastic harp.

I keep a few Jambones around for modifying and working on. I put the 'lid on one of my tweaked Jambones and hell, it's the best cheap harmonica I ever played now. (It can still be called cheap at $12, can't it?). My Hering Free Blues and my Blues Band also benefit quite a bit from it. So I consider it a good buy. They definitely look and sound cool, but I didn't care for the combination of wood and plastic I had going on with my SP20s. If I wanted a wood comb with a TurboLid, I'd get their version of the Marine Band.

I'll have to check out a TurboTwenty someday - or get another SP20 and keep the stock comb.

• Members

Thanks, I've played guitar most of my life and harp for about the last 2 months. You should hear me do some AC/DC stuff on electric. My grandkids had Guitar Hero and was playing along with one of their songs and wanted to know if I wanted to play, I told em' Why when I can play it for real then I cranked up my amp and did "Highway To Hell", they just stood there looking kind of shocked, LOL. I've sold off everything now but someday once I find another job I'd like to get another decent acoustic and an electric in both bass and guitar. :thu:

• Members

Haha, good man. I react about the same way to that game. But we don't knock it.

I've been doing the one-man band thing since my teens. I play sax, but I don't spot any others around here. I guess guitar playing and mixing/production would be my strong areas, but once I grasped the basics of harp it really took off, and it's getting easier to express complicated musical ideas with it (having a chromatic and a chord harp helps). But I still couldn't play a complete harp song like you do, for me it's still all licks and variations on licks.

I'm gonna try setting up one of my wood-combed 20s for a TurboLid. I really liked how the comb stuck way out, very tactile. I think a bit of filing would do the trick. Wish they made 'em in metal, with nuts and bolts.

• Members

I watched a Lee Sankey vid on YouTube and it really helped me get the feel for putting a chord structure to a bit of lead improv to make up songs with. Hit YouTube and look for Lee Sankey Group. He has a lot of great stuff on his site on YouTube. :thu:

• Members

The modding continues. I've now got two harps with Jambone reed plates, TurboLids and my old Special 20 plastic combs. The resulting "Frankenharps" are really great, much tighter playing. Recycled parts rule... too bad I can't mail the reed-less harps off to TurboHarp. :lol:

Archived