The hills are alive...

• Members

So I got a gig playing bone for the sound of music. It's a middle/high school, and I'm playing the only bone playing--they're putting me on first part (obviously).

Hell week is in about 2 weeks, so I'm not really worried, but does anybody know some good exercises that really focus on range and endurance? I know the best thing to do is practice every day (I've told that to people a million times!), but what exercises do you know of that--when done every day--will build range (and consequently endurance). There are some high notes in there that I can't consistently hit right now.

The only thing that I've got is doing the upper octaves of scales--you guys got anything else?

And don't feel like you can't respond if you don't play bone--brass exercises pretty much transfer to any brass instrument.

Thanks, folks! :wave:

• Members

I agree with the lip slurs. Also, get a "Arban's" book if you don't already have it and play the exercises, scales, intervals, etc. Mix these with long tones until your chops are sore. Set a goal to play about an hour straight through with minimal breaks. If you have extra time, do a little cardiovascular training(jogging, climb stairs, brisk walking, aerobics, etc.) and you should be fine. I am not a "pro" but I play in a "hobby" band and these methods have worked for me.

• Members

So we had the first pit rehearsal the other night; I'm not too worried anymore. For one thing, I don't play most of the time (which I didn't get a feeling for earlier, because I was just practicing the notes, not the extended rests), and it's not a high-profile gig anyways.

I'm the oldest one in the pit, at 20. The director is a girl I know who is a freshman this year, though she has been involved with the company since it began and has directed before. However, the only musicians she knows well enough are still from her high school. She went to a charter school that was for the arts (Toledo School for the Arts), so they are all good enough players, but they are still high schoolers and have a limited grasp on being professional.

Should be fun though--I love playing :)

Archived