What makes a bone player tick?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I took trombone lessons as a kid and played in the junior high marching and concert band.

I started teaching myself guitar at about the same time.

I quit the trombone when I realized it was nowhere near the chick magnet that the guitar was.

About the only things I remember from my trombone lessons are my teacher's lousy jokes.

His favorite (not mine)..."Never let things slide, unless you're a trombone player."

I do love the sound of the trombone and think that playing it had a big influence on my vocal style. When I sing a song I am thinking "trombonistically" (I'm sure that's not really a word, but it's the best descriptor I can think of).

• Members

I took trombone lessons as a kid and played in the junior high marching and concert band.

I started teaching myself guitar at about the same time.

I quit the trombone when I realized it was nowhere near the chick magnet that the guitar was.

About the only things I remember from my trombone lessons are my teacher's lousy jokes.

His favorite (not mine)..."Never let things slide, unless you're a trombone player."

I do love the sound of the trombone and think that playing it had a big influence on my vocal style. When I sing a song I am thinking "trombonistically" (I'm sure that's not really a word, but it's the best descriptor I can think of).

The typical concert band brass instruments only work as chick magnets when you are playing in the brass section of a power house band. There is no feeling in the world better than having those horns kickin ass spicing up the music. Listen to joe cockers the letter. What a monster arrangement.

• Members

It's interesting that you say that, because I've heard people say that, when playing the trombone, you should think "vocalistically"

Problem is... because of playing trombone since the age of 8, I still do that when I switch to playing the guitar. It's been the hardest habit for me to break.

If only I could sing chords. :facepalm:

Archived