Trumpet newbie needs help

• Members

hi guys.

i actually played trumpet over 25 years ago when i was a little kid and thought it would be fun to get a cheap trumpet and try to re-learn and maybe use the new skill in my recordings. i am now primarily a guitar player. i was surprised actually remember the c scale on trumpet:)

i noticed that when i try to play an E (for example) on the bflat trumpet that it sounds different than my E on my guitar. now either i'm playing really wrong or there is transposing problem that i dont understand yet.

if i want to play guitar notes on a bflat trumpet cant i just look up the fingerings and just play it like a guitar?

im actually trying to figure out the trumpet parts in the chorus of neil daimonds sweet caroline.

ALSO - i bought a new innexpensive trumpet and the valves seem to be sticking a lot even after oiling them. Is this going to go away? will they 'break in?'

any other tips are appreciated.

THANKS

• Members

yes it is a transposing issue your trumpet sounds Bb when you play C on and all other notes are a whole step lower.

if you bought used try giving your horn a good "bath" to loosen anything that might be gumming up the valves. if you bought new take it to the shop, the valves should move pretty freely.

big tip: if you can afford it find a good teacher. consult a local college if there is one, they should be able to point you in the right direction of a trumpet teacher.

second tip:

air is your friend learn to breathe properly and how to use your air.

get yourself a Rubank Trumpet method from your local store to relearn the basics, once you finish book #3 move on to an Arbans.

third: go at a pace that keeps it fun. remember it is called "playing" an instrument not "working" an instrument, it should be fun. :)

finally: practice more than you think you need to. it takes time and repetition to learn and retain what you learn. start a daily practice routine including a warm up, exercises, songs, and a cool down.

• Members

thanks for the advice. i elongated the springs on each valve and its a lot more responsive now.

question:

is it possible to learn the notes on a Bflat trumpet in guitar notes? i mean if i want an E can i just finger an E as a guitar would sound it? is this common?

although i am not completely unfamiliar with reading music i would like to learn the trumpet more by ear and common scales if i could - kind of like how i think of the guitar and bass.

also is there actual trumpet "tab" sites that you can recomend? is there such a thing?

OR am i looking at this all the wrong way? :)

EDIT: I just found this useful page online that is thinking the same way i am.

http://scruffyeagle.com/music/knowledge/b-flat_cornet_chart.html

• Members

with trumpet it is learn by ear or read music. as for reading guitar music unless you get a C trumpet you will have to transpose. a C trumpet would sound bad in the context you are wanting to use it in.

as for trumpet tab get a beginner book like the rubank method or essential elements band method and learn the fingerings that way. i know a few trumpet players who write the fingerings above the notes but it is generally looked down on. there are no shortcuts so be diligent and you will achieve the results you want.

• Members

I'm 47 and play trombone in a 9 member "hobby\geezer" rock band. +1 on the Arban's. If you played in school at least five years and now practice about four hours a week, you will be able to get up to speed pretty quickly. You will be amazed how easy some of the old R & B/Rock trumpet parts are to play. I have just the opposite problem you have. I am learning how to play guitar!

• Members

There have been occasional C trumpet players in jazz/commercial settings. But C trumpets tend to cost around $700 used for anything remotely decent and they don't play in tune well.

Trumpet "tabs" don't really exist, but reading really isn't very hard at all. If you really would rather have concert pitch though, a C trumpet is the way to go. Otherwise, you just have to remember that whatever note you play (eg. a C) is going to be 2 frets lower on guitar, so a Bb.

• Members

Inexpensive trumpets are a complete waste of time. If you don't invest yourself deeply into making a return to trumpet playing, what's the point?

To that end, may I suggest a quality used horn:

http://thompsonmusic.com/store/product3081.html

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Yeah, screw my advice and buy this!:D

• Members

I agree with MarkZ, a poor quality\inexpensive trumpet may not suit your needs. Our trumpet player played a poor quality horn for far too long before he purchased a Bach Stradavarius. With the student horn, he had great difficulty with staying in tune, not cracking notes, sticking valves, and playing in the upper register. One of the most important things a good horn will give you is CONFIDENCE! However, if you just want to "noodle" occasionally a trumpet of modest craftsmanship may be just right. Playing a "pro" wind instrument is a lot like champagne. Once you have tasted the "good stuff" you never want to go back to the cheap stuff.

Archived