I may be crossing over...

• Members

...to the Monette side. Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid and it was good.

I was recently at Rayburn's in Boston. Took my GR mouthpiece with me and tried it against 4 different Monette mouthpieces.

After 30 minutes of comparing, I don't think I can go back to my beloved GR. In fairness, it wasn't an apples to apples comparison. My GR has a 3 rim with relatively shallow cup. The Monette that I liked most was a B4S, approx. a 3 rim with a deeper cup. Could I get the same response from another brand mouthpiece with similar dimensions? Maybe, and it's worth further investigation. There's no way I'd spend $250-300 on a new Monette piece (the B4S was new), but used ones are commonly sold around $125. I spent that for my GR new and that's the range for some other makes.

So, I have a birthday coming up and that might be my present to me when I find a used one at the right price.

I also tried a few piccolos with mixed results. I couldn't bring myself to try a Schilke P5-4 because $2800 for a piccolo is never going to happen.

• Members

What I need to do it try them on both my Getzen Severinsen and Kanstul 1500. I tried the pieces on the store's used Severinsen of similar vintage as mine. There's no way to do a side by side GR vs Monette comparison. A local dealer carries GR but not Monette, for which the closest dealer is Rayburn in either NYC or Boston. He also has Kanstul's Monette copies (in silver) but those cost new as much as the real thing (in gold plate) would be used.

I figure that if I buy a used Monette for around $125 and the honeymoon leads to divorce, I can flip it for what I paid. Used GRs don't seem to re-sell as well.

Archived