how often should I wax the pads

• Members

I recently purchased a new, student tenor sax and am enjoying it to no end. My music schooling was the trumpet so I don't know much about maintaining my new sax. I've found a ton of info on the web, but can't find out how often, and what technique I should use, to wax the pads. Any advice will be appreciated.

• Members

I'll go on a limb here - and state that I've NEVER heard of waxing pads - and have never done such a thing. This includes saxes I've played since the mid-1980's.

The pads on saxes are leather. I would avoid any coatings. Frequently - the G# pad will stick - just place a dollar bill (or higher denomination if ya's got it) on the tone hole, press the key down, and pull the bill through. This will clean off any sticky residue.

• Members

Exactly, and pads are also minutely porous to the extent which allows them to be cleaned. It's amazing how handy Q-tips are in cleaning a sticky pad, with a quick swipe of of a drop of lighter fluid on the seating (dries almost immediately) followed by some water.

Some folks apply mink oil as a conditioner but this, too, creates a situation to trap dirt and dust.

Archived